Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Issue with the new Lab Cab

I finally had a weekend with nothing going on. I pulled Brooks crate out and completely cleaned and vacuumed the Highlander in preparation to install the Midwest small SUV kennels I had in my 2013 and 2015 RAV4's, and they worked nicely. Unfortunately the don't fit in the Highlander, despite the fact it's a much larger vehicle. While the Highlander is larger front to back and side to side, it's not as tall inside as the RAV4.

So for now I've got a 1 crate set up, and it looks like I'll be buying a custom crate set up. Going to call these guys tomorrow. Waiting for the redirectiron...

Are you sure you don't want a nice new truck instead????

Is it because the back hatch door is too shallow? That's my problem and when I was vehicle shopping it seemed most were the same, only 28 inches high opening at the back. The crate is 30 inches high.
    Hidden Content

Castilleja's Dubhgall Oban, the Black Stranger of The Little Bay
    Oct. 15, 2007 - June 13, 2021
    Oxtongue Rapids Park. Oct. 2019 Hidden Content

That stinks but those custom crates certainly look nice! I'm sure the price tag is nice too.

I upgraded my truck last week as well. I moved from a 2008 Tundra to a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500. It has the crew cab so I'm hoping to have room for a crate in the cab. I've been eyeing the Gunner Kennels but without being able to put my hands on one I'm nervous about sizing. They look huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    Is it because the back hatch door is too shallow? That's my problem and when I was vehicle shopping it seemed most were the same, only 28 inches high opening at the back. The crate is 30 inches high.
    It's a matter of how the roof/headliner curves around the back of the vehicle. Each crate will fit individually, but they won't fit in together.

I'm also looking at these: Dog Crates | Dog Cages | TransK9USA | Toyota Highlander with this one I can still use the back seats if needed.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to barry581 For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (10-30-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by JackK View Post
    That stinks but those custom crates certainly look nice! I'm sure the price tag is nice too.

I upgraded my truck last week as well. I moved from a 2008 Tundra to a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500. It has the crew cab so I'm hoping to have room for a crate in the cab. I've been eyeing the Gunner Kennels but without being able to put my hands on one I'm nervous about sizing. They look huge.

I like the Gunner's but they really are huge. I doubt I could fit two in the back of the Highlander.

Quote Originally Posted by barry581 View Post
    It's a matter of how the roof/headliner curves around the back of the vehicle. Each crate will fit individually, but they won't fit in together.

I'm also looking at these: Dog Crates | Dog Cages | TransK9USA | Toyota Highlander with this one I can still use the back seats if needed.
    Those pictures look really sweet.

I have the same problem as Snowshoe, opening is just a smidge too small for the crate size I want for long trips. It fits OK if I put it up in the Jeep but that's a pain in the you know what.
    Hidden Content
    Kissing Bandit

I had to buy a new wire crate when I got the Town & Country because the tops weren't level on different brand 36" crates! LOL And I use that space for storage when I am out for a dog show. I am sure you can get creative! Now I have both doors facing out, bit if I have to add a 3rd, I use a side door crate behind the drivers seat.

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by JenC View Post
    I had to buy a new wire crate when I got the Town & Country because the tops weren't level on different brand 36" crates! LOL And I use that space for storage when I am out for a dog show. I am sure you can get creative! Now I have both doors facing out, bit if I have to add a 3rd, I use a side door crate behind the drivers seat.
    That’s the same set up I have with my Grand Caravan ... I usually only take two at a time anyway, but for short trips the pups can share a crate. When we took all 3 to Nationals we put the extra crate in which was fortunate as it turned out they had no indoor crating so they spent most of the day in the car ...
    Annette

Cookie (HIT HC Jamrah's Legally Blonde, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015
    Sassy (HIT Jamrah's Blonde Ambition, UDX, OM2, BN) 6/4/2015

Chloe (HIT HC OTCH Windsong's Femme Fatale, UDX4, OM6, RE) 6/7/2009

And remembering:

Scully (HC Coventry's Truth Is Out There, UD, TD, RN) 4/14/1996 - 6/30/2011
    Mulder (Coventry's I Want To Believe, UD, RN, WC) 5/26/1999 - 4/22/2015

And our foster Jolie (Windsong's Genuine Risk, CDX) 5/26/1999 - 3/16/2014

Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos