Another weird medical insurance question.

OK. So now we have too much insurance. Keeping in mind that the employers don't know what they are doing, here's the situation.

My husband was on COBRA for 18 months. He goes off on June 30th. His current temp agency starts him on their policy on July 1st. Now my husband has a new job and we want to go onto their policy in two weeks. All three of these groups carry Blue Cross Blue Shield. He can't have policies with both companies.

Here's the problem. The company he is working for now through the temp agency wants him to go part time working from home. It's what we refer to as an embarrassment of riches. Just a really great deal.

Can he change insurance to the new company or does he have to stick with the insurance with the current temp agency that will be handling the part time situation? The new full time job is a better policy and the premiums are subsidized. Basically, he would be on the old company's insurance for all of two weeks. One other thing is that he has a medical condition and absolutely cannot be uninsured at any time so that two weeks is very important.

Senior Dog
    Right now I have 2 overlapping overlapping policies because I started a new job mid-month with benefits starting day 1 and my prior employer's benefits are running through the end of the month. During my orientation with the new company I asked about how to handle it if I needed to use my insurance. The HR people doing the orientation told me the new company's insurance would cover me.

Both companies should be telling your husband how much time he has to sign up for benefits at the new company and what events (including a new job) allows him to drop insurance from the old one as well as the timing for him to actually drop the coverage. Companie's also have different rules as the when coverage starts and ends so you will need to take that in account too.

If neither employer is helpful, give Blue Cross a call.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JC001 For This Useful Post:

janedoe (06-30-2014)

I would go with the insurance from the new, full time employer. It is a better policy and subsidized so it sounds like the best deal to me. Talking to BC/BS would be helpful in guiding you through this as well! Good luck, that sounds like a great "problem" to have! After all you have had to deal with it is great that you are now dealing with awesome options!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

janedoe (06-30-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by JC001 View Post
    Right now I have 2 overlapping overlapping policies because I started a new job mid-month with benefits starting day 1 and my prior employer's benefits are running through the end of the month. During my orientation with the new company I asked about how to handle it if I needed to use my insurance. The HR people doing the orientation told me the new company's insurance would cover me.

Both companies should be telling your husband how much time he has to sign up for benefits at the new company and what events (including a new job) allows him to drop insurance from the old one as well as the timing for him to actually drop the coverage. Companie's also have different rules as the when coverage starts and ends so you will need to take that in account too.

If neither employer is helpful, give Blue Cross a call.
    Thank you so much for sharing your experience. These companies are tiny and have exactly one person each in their HR departments as far as I can tell. They just don't seem to know anything.

I will call BCBS tomorrow. From what you've said, it sounds like a new employer is an event so he can switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx&Emma View Post
    Good luck, that sounds like a great "problem" to have! After all you have had to deal with it is great that you are now dealing with awesome options!
    I know, right? Very nice!

Sounds like going with the new company may be the better choice. Just be sure, with each company (COBRA included) you get a statement of coverage so you prove there is no lapse.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

janedoe (06-30-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos