You're a chicken!

When I was a child, my father would say things that were really obvious if he was uncomfortable or didn't know what to say. He is now a Canadian citizen and would call out "Canadians sure make good bacon!" Then he would start laughing. He would see a cow and call out, "There's a cow!" Or, when we were driving at night, "What lies in the road ahead?" which I always heard as "What lies in the road? A head?" When I asked him at one point if this was what he was saying though, he just said that he heard it in a movie and it wasn't a pun.

Now I find myself doing the same thing.

I talk to my dogs and goats who respond to conversational things. But when it comes to my chickens, I never have any idea of what to say. For whatever reason though I need to talk to them so any time they rush me, I say "You're a chicken!"

Today we came home from grocery shopping and were about to unload the car. The chickens ran up from behind the house and mobbed us. They can really get underfoot so I looked at them and said, "You're a chicken!" and I swear they all ran back behind the house and waited at the basement door until I went down and fed them. Then I realized that this had been going on for some time. I have no idea how this happened but it's hilarious.

Lol! Sounds like you are speaking their language!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Cruel!! At least you didn't yell "POT PIE!"

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bamps For This Useful Post:

Jeff (06-30-2014), LucyTudeOn4Feet (06-30-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Bamps View Post
    Cruel!! At least you didn't yell "POT PIE!"
    That's terrible.

You know, I always feel a little guilty when I feed them then pull chicken breasts out of the freezer on my way back upstairs.

Senior Dog
    Cute story. They associate "you're a chicken" with feeding. I guess just a subconscious habit formed between you and the chicks. Funny.

KAZ

Senior Dog
    OK...I gotta ask....what do you say to your turkeys? I know you talk to them.....

Quote Originally Posted by SunDance View Post
    OK...I gotta ask....what do you say to your turkeys? I know you talk to them.....
    The turkeys died. Easter's heart couldn't take the whole mating process but he would get so worked up when we separated him out that it was a Catch 22 situation. After he died, Maundy lost it, got really territorial and mean and took on a coyote in the woods. It was almost tragic especially considering that they acted like they didn't even like each other. So we're taking a break from turkeys but I think if we got them in the future, I would get midget whites which are just a little larger than a big chicken. In the meantime, we have 14 chickens and I think that number is perfect. They have virtually eradicated the tick population so now we're just looking at egg production which is still over the top.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos