Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anal glands

Anal glands

I've never "expressed anal glands" before. Maya has some redness around her butt and has been scooting a bit. I looked it up and it said it could be because she needs her anal glands clean. How do I do that? I watched a video, but I couldn't find the sacks they were talking about. Should I just take her to the vet to do it? She does not have worms or fleas because she is on monthly preventative. Her bum isn't swollen looking. Is this something that has to be done ASAP? Or can I wait til her next trip to the vet in a week?

I take Sam to the vet to have it done. I try to get him there soon after I notice him scooting just because I'm afraid his anal gland will leak in the house and the smell is pretty horrible.
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Georgia For This Useful Post:

MayaNSofie (06-30-2014)

I have never had to do this or have the vet do it either. I am no help in guiding you but if I did think it was something my dog needed I would have a tech or groomer show me how to do it first. My understanding is that it is not a big deal. ( At least that is what "they" say, lol!)
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

MayaNSofie (06-30-2014)

Go to the vets & ask them to show you how to do that. It's quite simple but I was never brave enough to try on my dogs. Don't wait too long as full glands may get infection & that requires antibiotics.

Senior Dog
    Like the advise above, go to your Vet, and they should be able to show you how it's done. Definitely wouldn't be brave enough to do it on my own, until shown the proper way.

KAZ

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by BeataK;17884[B
    ]Go to the vets & ask them to show you how to do that[/B].
    This. You don't want to take the chance that you'll injure your dog by doing it incorrectly. There's always a chance that something else is happening, too, like irritation, and not impaction, or infection.

It smells so bad you're not going to want to do it even if you could! Take her to the vet, I think mine charges $12 for it.

Have never had to deal with doing it. Like others have said, have the vet check it out to be sure of what is going on and have him teach you how to express the glands if that's what is needed.

Would he charge a office call too besides the 12 dollars?

I think my vet charged an office visit the first time there was a problem. Now I just take him in and it's $25 with no office visit charge. I have no interest in learning to do it myself. I'll leave it to the professionals thank you very much!
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos