Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mellow Yellow

Puppy

Mellow Yellow

No, not a color question just a catchy title My yellow lab just turned 5 months and he is a pretty mellow guy. He is the English/Show type, and comes from champion lines, yada yada. He's all Lab. But reading through some of these threads I'm not sure if I got lucky, or if a potential hunter who may have picked him from the litter got lucky. He wakes up good and early and has plenty of energy in the morning, but is happy with just chewing his toys in the living room, and maybe chasing the ball around a little. Then my 9:00am he's ready for his morning nap and sleeps most of the morning. From then on, he's a pretty mellow guy. Sometimes he gets a burst of energy and I'll take him out to throw the ball, and he is pretty much done after 3 fetches. He usually walks back the 3rd or 4th. We take him for a 20 minute walk just about every day, and then he is done for the day. Sometimes after his walks he gets excited, but after a quick run in the backyard he is good. This weekend he got in the pool, swam to the edge, had the zoomies to dry off, and then was done for the day.

Should I be concerned about his health? He gets a good quality food, and is up to date with vet visits. He's about 50lbs right now and looks pretty lean and muscular. To be honest, I'm glad he's the way he is, but if I got him for hunting purposes (which I didn't) I think I would have been disappointed. We love this guy to death, just wondering if I need to look for hip issues or something like that. He walks like a lion sometimes Thanks.

Whenever you have a concern that you are unsure is legitimate or not, you should get it looked at by your vet. He's probably ok but I am only guessing, do yourself and the little one a favor and be sure.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bamps For This Useful Post:

Paul0130 (06-30-2014)

Chances are if you trained him for hunting, which it seems that you won't, he'd probably be up for the game whenever you wanted to "play". They usually are. Duck Hunting isn't non-stop activity. It's sitting and waiting, then running out getting the duck, then sitting and waiting. Our training games are usually more strenuous than what they'd do in the field. We're not talking Field Trials here, which are another thing entirely.

Sounds like you have a good dog. Our Jagger, who is nearing 8 months, is like that. He lives with us part-time, and he's an angel. He even slept out of his crate all weekend, no worries.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

Paul0130 (06-30-2014)

I have a lab from field lines, so he is the opposite of mellow. If Bacon would be suddenly mellow, I would know something was wrong. Bacon always gets this way when he has a tick. I would talk with your vet, just to ease your mind. However, there are several owners on here that have mellow pups, especially those from bench lines.
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BaconsMom For This Useful Post:

Paul0130 (06-30-2014)

House Broken
    Oakley is very active and quite wild sometimes. When she is unsure of something she approaches it with that "lion walk".

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lovealab2 For This Useful Post:

Paul0130 (06-30-2014)

My pup has always been mellow as well. He is nearly a year now, and is the same. A well-bred Lab should be mellow in the house, always up for exercise, but not insane. Basically, they should be able to turn it off and on when appropriate. My guy is very birdy, however, and when we have field training, he is a lunatic.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

Paul0130 (06-30-2014)

Puppy
    Thanks all. Of course about two hours after I wrote this, he got a hold of a pair of socks when my wife was upstairs with him and proceeded to sprint through every single room with them. LOL. I took him out, threw the ball three or four times, and then he was ready to lay down next to me and just chew the ball. I just got a little worried thinking about how mellow he is, but good to hear others are like this too. And good to hear someone else is familiar with that "lion walk". It looks right out of the Serengeti. His back end moves back and forth and he walks really slow. Funny guy.

We've also got a mellow yellow, and consider ourselves lucky! She gets more brain exercise than physical, and we take full advantage of that...lots of search games, find the toy by name, etc.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to OHfemail For This Useful Post:

Paul0130 (06-30-2014)

Bobby is pretty mellow when he has something to chew on after his playtime. Afternoon and late evening are usually his mellow moments. He gets about 45 minutes to an hour worth of playtime a day depending on the weather and a 45 minute walk everyday. He also gets several five to ten minute training sessions a day. Without play though, he can be a bit of a wild child.

Your Lab's energy might spike during the teen phase though. I know mine did.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Halcyon For This Useful Post:

Paul0130 (06-30-2014)

I wouldn't know, Molly is the total opposite! However, my mom has one of her littermates, who sounds a lot like yours. Coco is very laid back, has never been a big biter/chewer, plays some then sleeps for several hours, etc. The complete opposite of Molly, and they are from the same litter!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Kelly524 For This Useful Post:

Paul0130 (06-30-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos