Thread: Dry Shampoo??

Puppy

Dry Shampoo??

I was wondering if anyone had any input on dry shampoos for labs? Does anyone use something like this between baths??

I realize this question is on the wrong section but I don't know how to delete it and move it to the right thread

A quick wipe and refresh can be a baby wipe--or twelve of them. Use one on the butt or have around for old dogs and puppies who have accidents. They are a must to have for road trips, or one can use waterless shampoos and paper towels in a pinch when traveling.

Honestly, water is the best thing. Many Lab people simply swim the dog in clean water this time of year. Others use vinegar and water.

On some of my rescues or post op dogs I have used a liquid instant shampoo. On the face, I like the BioGroom Waterless Bath in the spray bottle.
    Bio-Groom Waterless Bath - Cherrybrook

Overall, my absolute favorite instant shampoo is the Self Rinse Plus from Pro Line.

ProLine Self Rinse Plus Shampoo - Cherrybrook

Put it on the dog with a spray bottle. Or wet a hand towel, apply the self rinse plus/waterless bath, rub it in, then use a big bath towel wet with warm water to "rinse" the dog. Then use another towel to dry the dog. This is good in the winter or for dogs prone to cold tail. The Self Rinse Plus is not good in the eyes, but the Biogroom is tearless, supposedly. I rinse if I can. One can even use a cup or bucket to help rinse. The Biogroom Waterless softens the coat but the ProLine Self Rinse Plus does not, a consideration for show people.

For any of these shampoos, ideally buy a separate spray bottle and cut the shampoo with water: that is an old dog show trick, and it stretches the shampoo and helps it work better.

For a yellow, one can use chalk/talc/cornstarch. It looks like bad dandruff on the blacks and chocolates, at least the way I do it. I do use chalk to clean a light dog's paws or an oily spot, then I brush it out. When traveling with Cavalier pups, I usually have a sample of cornstarch baby powder in my purse, just in case. That only helps with yellows, or really smelly dark dogs who can't get wet.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlotte K. For This Useful Post:

mike1309 (07-01-2014)

You can dry bath a cat with bran. The same stuff you sprinkle on cereal. It takes the place of a dust bath that most outside cats will do on their own, then shake and groom out. You brush it out for the cat. I don't see why that wouldn't work for a dog too but I've never tried it on either. You warm the bran. Expensive maybe? To buy enough for a Lab?

How to Bathe Your Cat

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

mike1309 (07-01-2014)

I can't imagine bran bathing a Lab without needing a lot of Pepto Bismol to counteract all that would be eaten! Might be a good thing for an old dog in winter--both the truly dry bath and the fiber!

Not dry, but I use listerine water (~1 part gold listerine : 10 parts water) to freshen them up. Spray well and towel off. Easy peasy

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to piccadilly For This Useful Post:

mike1309 (07-01-2014), Taylor (07-01-2014)

I forgot about that one with Listerine or the generic equivalent. It is so very good for black dogs whose skin flakes when they are nervous or excited at a show. It also keeps off some bugs. Thanks for the reminder.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlotte K. For This Useful Post:

mike1309 (07-01-2014)

Puppy
    Thanks for the great info everyone. I'm new to this and the more info I can get from experienced owners the better!! Thanks again!

House Broken
    I do the listerine thing too.

I also douse him in baby powder from time to time.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos