Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Kuranda bed - your evaluation

Another thread got me thinking of starting this thread.

As y'all may know we have three seniors - 12 year old Kendal, 11 year old Stella, and who knows how old? Achilles. We have two LL Bean Premium dog beds and they have stood up very well for almost nine years. We also have other beds and castoff human quilts, and they are welcome to our furniture as long as they move when commanded to.

We're pondering a Kuranda bed, mostly for Kendal. If you have one or have first-hand hearsay evidence of one in use I'd like to hear from you. I've devised the handy-dandy questionnaire below that you are welcome to copy/paste into your reply. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

-----------------------------------

Frame size

Frame finish

Fabric type

Extras (slipcover etc.)

What do you like?

What would you change?

Would you/they buy it again?
    Andrew, Faye, Fitzi, and Lucy

Not gone, only gone on ahead - Bruno, Rex, BoJo, Kendal, Kingsley, Moonpie, Avis, Corndog, Stella, and now Achilles

I invite you to visit my blog, Hidden Content .

We have one -- standard with outdoor mesh. We live in SoCal, and the bed has been kept exclusively outside (in our courtyard, under an overhang) since we got it. No extras. Would change nothing. Archie uses it often. (I only give him frozen stuffed Kongs outside and he always takes them to the bed.) I think the bed is fantastic, particularly for warmer climates.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ArchieSit For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (07-01-2014)

I got one last summer hoping it would be cooler for the dogs during hot weather. However, they only use it if I put bedding on top of it which then makes it warm like the regular beds. They don't use it often, preferring the regular beds most of the time.

Frame size - 44x27

Frame finish - walnut

Fabric type - cordura

Extras (slipcover etc.) = none

What do you like? I liked the idea of it

What would you change? Not sure, maybe a different fabric?

Would you/they buy it again?No
    Hidden Content

Instagram: SAM.AVA

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ckfalz For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (07-01-2014)

Frame size

Frame finish

Fabric type: Mesh type.

Extras (slipcover etc.) Faux sheepskin used during colder months.

What do you like? So easy to clean, even the cover washes beautifully. Much easier to pick up and clean under than the ortho beds.

What would you change? See below.

Would you/they buy it again? If needed, yes.

Bought two for Bandit and Melody. Both were used to them before they joined us. Even though I'm not a light sleeper, every time they moved on the mesh, I heard it. With the sheepskin, not as much rustling sound. When Melody began having trouble getting up on it because of her back, I put them away. Have not brought them back out since. Guess I should cause Archie loves to lay outside in the shade and this would keep him up off the ground and keep him cooler.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (07-01-2014)

good info here, thanks for posting

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Thelove For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (07-01-2014)

House Broken
    I've had mine for almost 5 years and it looks brand new. Indy sleeps on it most nights.... but his ortho bed is on top of it! He won't use it without lots of bedding. It's also loud and creeky, wakes me up multiple times a night. So, it really depends on where/when you want the dog to use it.

But the quality is great!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to indybindy For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (07-01-2014)

Thanks everyone, this is good info. We had not thought about the noise. I'm unsure if that would bother me after the initial getting-used-to-it period; it is something to consider though.
    Andrew, Faye, Fitzi, and Lucy

Not gone, only gone on ahead - Bruno, Rex, BoJo, Kendal, Kingsley, Moonpie, Avis, Corndog, Stella, and now Achilles

I invite you to visit my blog, Hidden Content .

I am not sure on the size, but had out door fabric. Also if your buying for seniors, you shouldn't have my issue.

So basically I bought one of the Kuranda, and 2 of the coolaroo. They all died a horrible death. Now Hemi absolutely loved them. He slept in them all the time, it was great outside as well. The problem was you take a 95lb Hemi and have him run full bore with the throttle wide open and have him jump in the bed dukes of hazard style and well the legs break off.

So solution number 1 which might work for you. You can buy the coolaroo replacement covers pretty cheap on Amazon. Then $10 worth of PVC at the hardware store, assuming you have the glue and PVC cutters already. Anyway Hemi's Cover was in perfect shape, so with PVC pipe I reconstructed the frame of his bed. Now you can see in this photo a flaw. The PVC pipe is too weak at that length. So it is bending. Well fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it. My first glue job wasn't as good as needed and his dukes of hazard style jumping into the bed eventually broke the glue loose. Which no big deal just reglue it. However this time I took wooden dowel rods that fit inside the PVC and put them in there before really gluing the crap out of it this time. Then also, on the under side of each joint I drilled a hole and put a screw up into it to try to absorb some of the shock of a Hemi landing at full throttle. Oh and the other thing, with this fully glued up, there is no noise since all parts are pretty much solid.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (07-01-2014), Scoutpout (07-01-2014)

Hemi just looks so comfy curled up there

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scoutpout For This Useful Post:

Jeff (07-01-2014), Mr Kleb (07-03-2014)

Just bought two of them for our 4.5 year old Cane Corso and Romeo who is now 14 weeks. I went with the heavy duty aluminum frame and the heavy duty 40 oz material as they both are tough on everything they touch. So far they work as advertised and are holding up perfectly.

Only have pictures of the one bed as I was putting the second together.

The only thing I would change is the hardware that bolts them together. For whatever reason they use a lock washer and nylon nut to hold the cast corners together. This arrangement is far harder to get together as they kept the bolt very short. It would have been cheaper and far easier to assemble had they used a stainless acorn nut.

If you want %10 off I can give you the name of our breeder (send a PM) Call Kuruana and tell them that the breeder recommended their beds and receive 10% code to enter into the online form. It pays for the shipping.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Lobo For This Useful Post:

Mr Kleb (07-01-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos