Foster puppy - possible ACL tear

We have a foster dog that is about 2 years old, her name is Paisley and she is a Labrador mix, weighing around 50 pounds.

She came to us injured. The vet said she has a partial ACL tear and should be on strict kennel rest for 6 weeks. This would have a 10-30% chance of healing her, otherwise surgery would be required.

She is a very heavy chewer with lots of energy.
    I would love to have some suggestions of what I can put it the kennel with her to keep her busy and happy.

Thank you very much

Jerry

We have a traditional KONG and KONG genius to keep our lab occupied when we are out and he is crated, or we are busy. The Genius is great - it take him ages and ages to get the food out (I'm talking ages and sometimes days!!!) and he absolutely loves it. We also love the regular Kongs but the genius takes a lot more effort to work out and he loves the challenge. We use the LEO but there is also the Mike version and if you get both you can fit them together to make it even more difficult He is also a heavy chewer and has lots of energy.
    Maybe take a look at the Kong website and see if there is something that would work
    This is the one we have (KONG Genius Leo )

3. The Following User Says Thank You to petitesalmon For This Useful Post:

stitchmanz (07-01-2014)

Here is a link to some ideas: Our TPLO Experience: Recovery Games
    Our Coast is almost 3 weeks post TPLO, so I feel your pain!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to csblabmom For This Useful Post:

stitchmanz (07-01-2014)

petitesalmon:

What do you put in the Genius toy. We have the 9.5 inch one that loooks like a jar. Any kibble we put in it falls right out the bottom, no effort needed at all by the doggie. The traditio al Knog works nicely - we put some kibble and treats, plug it up with peanut butter and freeze it - she loves it.

csblabmom:

Thanks for the link. It seems that most of those games would not work currently for us since Paisley has to be confined to a crate.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos