Thread: Dog Booties?

Dog Booties?

On Sunday we took Romeo over to a family members home that has a small swimming pool. The entire backyard is the pool with concrete patio surrounding it. It was 2pm and they day was already hot. After approx 10 minutes Romeo step onto the stained area around the edge of the pool and yelped. This area turned out to be considerably hotter than the rest of the patio and it clearly was burning his pads. I immediately took him inside.

We (I) have taken our dogs to a local 80 acre outdoor sports complex to walk around a HUGE pond (lake) for exercise and socializing. The path is concrete but it is possible to walk on the grass on either side but rarely do unless there are bicyclists or other joggers that we want to avoid.

There has never been a problem with their pads/paws getting too hot or at least they have never complained. We always stop after one trip around at one of the four pavilions the have picnic table and are completely covered for shade. We give ample amounts of water and rest each time.

I really do not want to dress the dog up for this activity and have never tried this on any of my animals but I would like to hear for those that use booties on their dogs. We all love the exercise and will not stop going but I would like to ensure that they are not getting hurt by it either.

Tips?

Lobo getting some buoy time at Warren years ago

1998 Buck and Mikey

2011 Maximus taking a dip lol

It would be nice if they made sandals for dogs. I could see Hemi sporting flip flops.

Seriously though, I would just be careful where they are walking in summer. The problem with boots in summer is that dogs sweat through their pads in their feet. This helps cool them down and keep them cool. So putting boots on in summer, while not unheard of is not recommended. Now I have had to put boots in Hemi in the summer when he tore his pads and it was just too hot to walk on anything, but we also didn't go out exercising on the torn pads either. I would just recommend being aware as you are of hotter areas, avoid blacktop, and you should be fine.

Muttlucks does have one call a summer shoe which is supposedly cooler and more breathable however I can not attest to it as I have their winter ones. They are a good shoe. Ruffwear has some as well. However the danger comes in overheating your furry friends.

Oh and on a side note, around the pool, if the pads looks raw and red it could be from coming up on the concrete and shaking off. That's like abrasion on the sidewalk, what how much their feet move and shake next time they shake off. Also hot around the pool, splash some water around the pool deck.

lets invent some dog flip flops! It seems like there a market for them at least on here lol.
    What you could also do if you go back to that pool would be wet the sides, which is what we always did as kids since the deck would get really hot in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by emma_Dad View Post
    lets invent some dog flip flops! It seems like there a market for them at least on here lol.
    What you could also do if you go back to that pool would be wet the sides, which is what we always did as kids since the deck would get really hot in the summer.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lobo For This Useful Post:

emma_Dad (07-01-2014), Snowshoe (07-01-2014)

They usually don't like having anything on their feet...

Funny videos of dogs Prt1 - YouTube
    Hidden Content
    Charlotte & Levi

Quote Originally Posted by colding View Post
    They usually don't like having anything on their feet...

Funny videos of dogs Prt1 - YouTube
    ahahhhahaaa lol

I bought muttlucks for Maxx to use this past "arctic" winter. Tried them out inside to see how he did with them and just to get him used to them. I just wish I had a video camera rolling at the time! He froze for about a minute and then began a frenzied "dance" to get them off!

Needless to say, they were never used. As for the hot concrete around the pool; Jon cut astro turf to fit the area Maxx uses to go in and out, go after his ball, etc. It workks great!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos