Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Dog

Hi, First time Lab for us

Hi, my name is Karen, and live in New Jersey, with my husband and 10 rabbits. Our Jake, our past bunny watcher, passed. We had 14 plus wonderful years with this gentle, sweet mix we rescued, that my husband wanted to rescue again. I wanted a pup to bring into our home, as I thought it would be easier for me to introduce life with the Z-Tribe (my rabbit herd). Once I saw Lilly, it was it. Lilly is a Lab mix, who will be 7 months old on June 1st. We have had her with us for a little over a month. This young girl, unfortunately, had previous owners, who we feel just didn't understand the Lab breed and the work that's needed with a Lab pup. So much so that when she escaped, didn't even pursue her. It took a group of rescuers 5 weeks to catch her.

Its been a lot of work to get Lilly to where she is now, but finding through working with her, a very smart, attention grabbing, funny girl, who is so trying to please us. I have done some research on the breed, and see that Labs have lots of different activities they would enjoy doing.

Look forward to learning more about Labs, asking questions to be able to better help Lilly settle and become the sweetie she really is and get that smart mind working.

KAZ

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ZRabbits For This Useful Post:

Dallas dawg (05-23-2014)

Welcome! Lilly sounds like she's found the right home, now she just needs to stay there! Sorry about Jake but happy Lilly came to fill your empty space and lives with labby love. Tell us more about your rabbits- how did you get in to that hobby?

Senior Dog
    Thanks Smartrock for that warm welcome. We got into the rabbit hobby after we lost our 13 year old Son, Henry to Leukemia. My husband came up with the idea and we brought two home. It will be 3 years in June, since we brought our first two home, and the hobby grew to 10. Jake was excellent with the rabbits, as he was in mourning too, missing his boy. Amazing the connection that grew between the two species. So hoping Lilly will grow to respect the Z-Tribe too. She's already formed a bond with our Flemish Buck. She doesn't bark or try to paw their cages and since the rabbits had such a good relationship with Jake, they are basically accepting Lilly.

I was worried with Lilly, as she was older than what I thought our new pup would be, but so far, really surprised, but she's really doing well with them.

KAZ

I am so sorry for the profound losses that have touched your life. I lost my 18 y/o son, I understand the empty place in your heart.

It sounds like Lily has found a wonderful home, I hope you have many happy years together. Welcome to the forum! A Lab and bunnies sound like a fun mix!

Hi! Are all of your rabbits Flemish Giants? I raised Silver Martens when I was younger. I showed them around the circuit in WI mostly. Nice to meet you and Lilly!

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx&Emma View Post
    I am so sorry for the profound losses that have touched your life. I lost my 18 y/o son, I understand the empty place in your heart.

It sounds like Lily has found a wonderful home, I hope you have many happy years together. Welcome to the forum! A Lab and bunnies sound like a fun mix!
    My heartfelt condolences for your loss as well. Definitely is a fun mix with dogs and bunnies, and hoping to give Lilly the best life ever. Her life started out rough, but she's turning the corner and finding happy times now. We call her "our diamond in the rough". And we hope to get her to a point she can shine! Just love the personality we are seeing so far!

KAZ

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Meeps83 View Post
    Hi! Are all of your rabbits Flemish Giants? I raised Silver Martens when I was younger. I showed them around the circuit in WI mostly. Nice to meet you and Lilly!
    No, we have two flemish, which we were going to breed, but after researching the standards, my husband figured he just wanted to enjoy them. I have Lion heads, which is my breed that I fell in love with. I did have a litter, but should have done more research, as they were more pet quality than show. Getting a few things done here personally and will start looking for a show quality pair.

Silver Martens are stunning rabbits. Just love their pattern. I have a Sable Marten Netherland dwarf, Dobby, and enjoyed watching his coloring change has he grew. Are you no longer showing?

KAZ

Hello and Welcome!

So very sorry for your loses.

So glad you joined us. Never had a bunny and would love to hear about them and your new labby.

Hello and welcome!

Hi and welcome. Really sorry for your losses , sending a lot of good thoughts and hugs.
    Hidden Content
    Lynn 5/17/1999 - 7/23/2013
    You shall never be forgotten, my friend

Mel *6/14/2013
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos