Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy

Diarrhea only at night???

Hi all! I've learned so much from you guys on these boards. Please bear with me as we're going through a bit of a situation. I'm a little sleep deprived right now so I'm trying to make sure the chronology is right here.

I posted on the food and nutrition board about 2 weeks ago about having switched Macie's food. She wasn't doing well with the switch. and so I've put her back on her original food (Purina Pro Plan LBP). While I was in the process of switching back, Macie developed nighttime diarrhea. (She also found and briefly played with a dead mouse before I could stop her in this time period...) The first night the poor thing was covered- she had gone 4x in her crate and it was all over everything. Poop covered puppy baths at 4:30AM are no fun! Through research here and talking to other dog owners, I transitioned her onto a boiled chicken and rice diet with some yogurt. I kept her on chicken and rice for several days with no change- she's perfectly fine during the day, moderately firm stool, good energy levels, drinking/eating/playing as usual. At night it's 3-4 episodes of urgent diarrhea.

I dropped off a stool sample at the vet who then gave me a dewormer. I started adding pumpkin into the chicken and rice the same day I gave the dewormer. That helped significantly- down to 1x/night with diarrhea. However when I tried to wean off the pumpkin she had to go 3x again. I'm trying to get her back to kibble now, but keeping the pumpkin in her food, we'll see how she does tonight.

She was sleeping through the night before this, and she literally runs to the door to go out now when she has to at night. She'll go straight back to bed after the diarrhea, so I don't think it's behavioral.

I think it's so weird this is only happening at night. Oh, stool is also very mucousy. Does anyone have experience with this?

She's 15 weeks old, and has only gained 1 lb in the last two weeks (went from 26.6 to 27.6). While her energy is good, the lack of weight gain worries me!

I'm trying not to be neurotic, and I really appreciate your patience with me as I navigate this. I am so grateful for any advice. Thanks!

Lindsey

Mucus is a good indicator of giardia. Have your vet test specifically for it. Personally I would ask to treat for it even if the sample comes back negative, its difficult to detect giardia sometimes even when its present

Also stop the pumpkin. It can have the opoosite effect on many dogs amd actually cause more problems and loose stools. Do not give yogurt either.

And you are correct, her lack of weight gain at that age is not normal. Please have her treated asap

Do you mean her poops in the day time are normal?

When my 15 week old puppy started having urgent diarrhea one night, I had her at the vet's office the next morning- talk about neurotic! She went through a couple of courses of metronidazole and one course of tylosin before things normalized for good. Her stool samples never showed any parasites, worms, or other "baddies". I didn't wait long enough to see if daytime poops were going to be normal once she'd gone hourly overnight. At her age I didn't want to fool around with chicken and rice or other non-dog food options for long periods (even though the vet's office would have had me do that) because I didn't want her going without the vitamins and minerals the food provided during an important growth period.

Bottom line, I'd have her seen by the vet.
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

5. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

Macie'sMom (07-02-2014)

Not great on puppy advice, wanted to send sold poop thoughts.

I do know it's possible that giardia does not show up in a single sample. Puzzling though since you would think that she would have loose poops even in the day.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Macie'sMom (07-02-2014)

Senior Dog
    I agree that giardia creates mucus....but so does basically anything that causes intestinal irritation.

In Sunnie's case, the irritation comes from pumpkin.

Just a thought.....

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

Macie'sMom (07-02-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by POPTOP View Post
    Puzzling though since you would think that she would have loose poops even in the day.
    not necessarily, Zoey had giardia at the same age and the diarrhea was intermittent especially when I was giving her rice, it will firm it up for a few poops then diarrhea

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ZoeysMommy For This Useful Post:

Macie'sMom (07-02-2014)

Senior Dog
    Agree with the above comments. Also, is there a possibility of her eating or chewing something before bedtime, in her crate or grass that has had weed killer used on it. Hope for a speedy recovery!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Georgie For This Useful Post:

Macie'sMom (07-02-2014)

Puppy
    Thanks guys, right now it seems like the pumpkin is the only thing firming up her stool! Today I started her on 1 cup kibble in the morning (her norm) and then 2/3 cup each for 3 additional feedings throughout the day, ending at 5PM and put 1 tsp of pumpkin in each of the last two feedings. Thinking maybe smaller amounts plus ending food earlier might help??

I've been worried about giardia after reading online, but the stool sample came back negative. Good to know that maybe I shouldn't trust it! I am going to call the vet again tomorrow. I think they might be sick of me, but this is my first puppy as an adult (as opposed to a family pet) so I'm trying to figure out what's normal.

Thanks so much!

Puppy
    I never thought I would be so focused on poops!!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos