Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Canadians, is this accurate?

I have never heard of lots of these foods...thoughts?

26 Canadian Foods You Need To Try
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

Funny, I've heard of some of those things thanks to our Canadian members- nanaimo bars, (Mrs. Kleb), pea meal bacon (Snowshoe), Tim Horton's (probably all of you up there), and some I've found on my own. Some are kind of variations on things we get here anyway. I'd like to try Moroccan spiced potato chips. And I'm rather fond of poutine- I found that in a Montreal style deli in NYC!
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

LOL yes! Although I've never had bannock.

Poutine is amazing
    Those PC brand chips and ice cream - so good, regularly at my house
    And the PC brand white cheddar kraft dinner - amazing, try adding a little hot sauce
    My mom makes nanaimo bars at christmas, and dyes the cream green

As for the smarties, coffee crisp, all dressed chips, crush cream soda, you guys don't have that stuff???!!
    Laura, Archie & Quinn
    Hidden Content

There was a whole thread about Nanaimo bars before the board crashed! Never tried them but Canadians say they're amazing.

Yes, you need to try them. Our goal is to kill off all our population and yours too with heart attacks. I haven't tried some of them either but the ones I have, the expression "to die for" comes to mind. Especially poutine. Only allow myself to have that once a year when I'm skating on the Rideau Canal. Are there defibrillators along the canal? There should be. LOL

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Bamps (07-02-2014)

Senior Dog
    I think I've had most of the items in one form or another. Just had a pink cream soda on the weekend. When I was a member of CGIT, we did a camp out and made bannock. Wrapped the dough around a stick and cooked it over an open fire. Surprised they didn't mention Butter Tarts.

I'll post my recipe for Nanaimo Bars and Butter Tarts later today.

Sheesh, now I'm hungry!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kleb For This Useful Post:

Bamps (07-02-2014)

I guess I have a new challenge - will I make it through these foods before making my personal trainer mad or having a heart attack??
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

LOL, actually I have heard of and tried most of these things, some are on my list to try, hickory sticks, bannock burger, and a lot of the ice cream flavors, however Ben and Jerry's comes out with a lot of unique flavors as well. Tim Horton's is pretty populated here in Michigan, and there is a box of Tim bits in the lunch area right now actually. Peameal is another one I haven't had yet. When I lived in Detroit, Canada was just across the bridge and that was also before 9-11 and you could just go on a day trip over there with nothing but a drivers license to go back and forth across the border. Montreal Smoked meat though is awesome. Only think better is doing it yourself on a smoker for hours in the back yard.

The thing that really popped for me was catchup on the Mac & cheese. People think I'm weird for eating it like that and some say "you won't need the catchup with MY Mac & cheese" YEAH, that's how I eat Mac & cheese, where's the catchup.

no way - you don't have kraft dinner in the US?

Bannock is good but have only had it once in my life, this is not something you find regularly. I had it when I was on a reserve, haven't really seen it anywhere else (I am sure it is available here and there but not the good fresh stuff and not everywhere).

Poutine - yum
    Smarrties - yay

The PC stuff - not really a "go to" for everyone. It's just a store brand. I haven't tried those ice creams nor the chips.

Tim Hortons donuts - not the BEST donuts in the world, they are not bad but they are not the BEST donuts in the world.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos