Puppy

Lola - Mast Cell Tumor - Chocolate Lab Mix - 4.5 Years Old

Recently my best friend, Lola, was diagnosed with cancerous mast cell tumor on her right arm. She is a Chocolate lab mix and ONLY 4.5 years old. She has surgery scheduled for Feb. 28th for the removal and being sent out for grading. Depending on the results she may have to undergo radiation and/or chemo, maybe CBD Oil treatments, etc.. Other than the bump on her arm she seems pretty much normal as can be: active, normal bathroom habits, eating and drinking, no vomiting or sneezing, just acts like a healthy dog.
    I have a 12 month old baby at home, and another on the way due in June. So as you can imagine, money is tight and the cost of the surgery is not something we anticipated.
    I am posting in the unfortunate hopes that someone in this group has gone through the same situation or a similair one, just to share experience with.
    If you read it and this touches home and your able to help out in anyway, anything would be helpful. A kind message of encouragement, small donation, a share of this page, anything. She is my buddy, and it breaks my heart she has to go through this.

https://www.gofundme.com/help-lola-today

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -18770-jpg  

We had a bullmastiff who had several mast cell tumors removed. The first one was removed with no need for chemo or other treatment. Another one popped up, was removed, still no chemo. By the time the third and 4th ones popped up at the same time, it was recommended that he undergo chemo. We did the chemo and no more mast cell tumors came up. He lived at least 2-3 years after the first tumor was removed and died of something unrelated. Bullmastiffs tend not to have long lives so he died at age 8 but he had lived longer than our 2 previous bullmastiffs. I hope you've caught it early enough that surgical removal is all that's required right now.

Puppy
    Thank you for sharing! Yea, we are hoping it just a grade 1 MCT, however we are keeping our minds open and ready if they are to tell us something worse. We would prefer to stay away from the chemo, i heard that it only adds months, not years and does that really benefit the dogs quality of life, which is why we are looking into CBD Oil treatments if needed.

I appreciate your sentiment, hopefully we did catch it early enough.

I have a 10 year old Labrador that is status post 2 plus years out from her wide excision surgery for a MCT on her flank. You have to be very aggressive with a wide margin of the first MCT, because if you don't get it all, it "wakes up" and can spread rapidly. You do not really get a second chance with an MCT. Mia's was a grade 1 with a very low mitotic index, so I did not put her through chemo, she is doing really well, although she has another tumor, we have opted to just let it be this time.

You should start your girl on a daily regimen of Benadryl, especially before the surgery and possibly afterwards for a few weeks/months too. 1 Mg per pound of dog is the usual dosage for dogs, but twice that is safe for bee stings etc... Do please double check the dosage with your vet. I also found an article that Turmeric ( a good quality one with black pepper, that and fat makes it more effective) capsules were helpful so she gets that once a day too. I just dip one end in butter and hand it to her.

Here is an article that explains why Benadryl helps, better than I can explain or type (lol).
    Why Benadryl For Mast Cell Tumors? - Dog Cancer Blog

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Shelley For This Useful Post:

lovemylabby (02-19-2018)

Senior Dog
    I just wanted to send good thoughts and prayers for your girl... hoping this was caught early and her surgery will be a success.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos