A Rambling Sunday Reflection

Well... it's been a pretty tough 6 months. And it's going to get worse between now and late October with all the chemo and stuff. I may be in the process of loosing one of my dogs to cancer (we don't know for sure yet.) I've been pretty miserable. But it's Sunday so I went to church. (I just do it almost out of habit. Not because I'm so holy or anything. Pretty dumb reason for doing something... but there it is.)

So we sang a hymn (not too surprising, right?) I noticed that the author of the lyrics was William Cowper. I know something about him. It was the 18th C. England. We all know about John Newton, the Captain of slave ships, the lowest of the low scum of the earth who experienced a conversion and became an Anglican minister. He's the one that wrote Amazing Grace.

Cowper was one of his congregants. Cowper, we would now say was severely, clinically depressed. Historians think he was sexually abused... it's a long story. But his was a life of continual loss. He was almost constantly suicidal. Newton encouraged him to write hymns... in fact, they almost competed with each other in the endeavor. I believe Cowper never recovered from his severe depression... but the legacy he left behind includes some really eloquent poetry.

So here are the lyrics we sang:

God moves in a mysterious way his wonders to perform.
    He plants his footsteps in the sea , and rides upon the storm.

Deep in unfathomable mines of never failing skill,
    He treasures up his bright designs and works his sovereign will.

Ye fearful saints, fresh courage take the clouds ye so much dread
    Are big with mercy and shall break in blessings on your head

Judge not the Lord by feeble sense, but trust him for his grace.
    Behind a frowning providence he hides a smiling face.

His purposes will ripen fast unfolding every hour.
    The bud may have a bitter taste but sweet will be the flower

Blind unbelief is sure to err and scan his work in vain.
    God is his own interpreter and he will make it plain.

So the deal is this. It's going to suck for a while yet. We don't know and can't know WHY. From our perspective there is no reason for WHY this stuff happens to us. That doesn't mean there is no reason. There is. Maybe it's just to make our return to good health that much sweeter. Maybe it's to make us love our next dog that much more.

When I figure it out... I'll let you all know.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TuMicks For This Useful Post:

barry581 (06-10-2018), Labradorks (06-12-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by TuMicks View Post
    So the deal is this. It's going to suck for a while yet. We don't know and can't know WHY. From our perspective there is no reason for WHY this stuff happens to us. That doesn't mean there is no reason. There is. Maybe it's just to make our return to good health that much sweeter. Maybe it's to make us love our next dog that much more.

When I figure it out... I'll let you all know.
    You pretty much nailed what is life. I'm definitely sending you a big old hug.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos