Thread: Recurrent UTI

Recurrent UTI

Hi All

My puppy has an recessed vulva. We just cleared her of a UTI and she had a urine culture on Thursday that came back totally clear.
    Today (Sunday) she is back to peeing ever five minutes in the yard, with very little or no urine coming out, a signal to me
    that the UTI is back.

She was on a particularly strong antibiotic as she had a resistant form of bacterial infection.
    She's licking her vulva a lot. The vet recommended, last week, that if she keeps licking I use hydrogen peroxide and neosporin the vulva recess.
    I'm giving her two cran caps per day.

I'm planning on letting her complete a heat cycle to hopefully correct the recessed vulva. But, what should I do now about this latest infection, or what seems like an infection?

How old is she? It might not be another infection, could just be entering puberty and beginning to mark. I would wipe her vulva with an unscented baby wipe, go through the heat cycle as you're already planning on, and watch it. If you're really nervous, call your vet, but if the culture on Thursday came back clear, it's pretty unlikely it would be another UTI. Maybe put her on a probiotic as well.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to doubledip1 For This Useful Post:

windycanyon (07-06-2014)

Thanks. I've got her on probiotic also. I didn't know girls mark. Seems more like she rushes to the lawn like she has to pee really bad, and then goes over and over. This
    is what she did prior to first dx of UTI. I wonder if it just came back quickly. It's really perplexing.

Also...I've just added a chewable vitamin C to her diet. I read it can help and doesn't seem to hurt.

Best Friend Retriever Snowco Labradors's Avatar
    How many days was she off the antibiotic before you retested to see if the UTI was cleared up? I wait 3-5 days to avoid a false negative. If you only waited a day or 2 that is most likely the case. The UTI was not cleared up but the meds still in her system masked the infection on the urine sample.

Particularly strong antibiotic: My mom had a very contagious bacteria and on a very strong antib. so I called a pharmacist to confirm to wait at least 5 days to retest urine as the very strong meds can remain in the system longer than say amoxy or the like. Very often a pharmacist knows more than the drs or vets about meds.

Curious what antibiotic she was on if you would share.

And girls will mark but that is usually when they are in heat or coming in soon. How old is she now? (from what you describe though, it does sound like the UTI was not cleared up completely)

Thanks, Patty. I was hoping you'd see my post.

She is only six months, not likely in heat as breeder estimates 10 mos at earliest based on her mom and sisters. She was taking Cefpodoxine, 100 mg., 1.5 tabs per day.
    I tested her on Thursday at 11 am. Her last pill was Monday prior.

Then I would bet she still has a UTI.

Well 3 days may be ok but if it is that strong 5 would be better. I honestly don't know the strength compared to amoxy, etc. A google search shows it is a human form so call and ask a pharmacist if its better to wait 5 days to retest.

How long was she on it? It may not have been long enough.

As to probiotic. I made sure my mom got one in her nursing home and I actually found one at CVS that not only works in the intestinal tract but also in the urinary tract. something I had never heard of. My mom went thru 2 bottles during and after meds and has not had a UTI since.

Not sure if it is safe for dogs but here is a link. I am pretty sure this is the one. I compared the probiotics to intestinal tract products and they are the same plus some extra for the urinary tract.

Renew Life Ultimate Flora Vaginal Support Probiotic Capsules - CVS pharmacy

I bet Lisa Black Labby would know. I'll send her an email and find out if she knows and get back to you.

I assume since they know the bacteria that they did a culture? did you collect first urine of the morning prior to food or water and in mid stream on the retest (assuming retest was not a culture)?

Ps: you probably know but be sure to give probiotic 2-3 hours away from antib. and I continue prob. for 2-4 weeks after meds depending on strength, dose and length of time on meds. For instance: when treating lyme with antib. for 30 days I continue the prob. for an additional 30 days.
    Last edited by Snowco Labradors; 07-05-2014 at 06:50 PM.

Thank you, Patty.
    I am not sure about the urine culture. The way they did it, the vet took the dog and they withdrew urine from her and did a culture. The first time we brought her in ,they tested something that a came back with a result very quickly, and then did an additional test that took a few days. On the latter test, they determined it was a drug-resistant form of bacteria.
    Then, when we retested her 3 days after the last pill, they withdrew urine from the dog (11 am) and called me the same day (but several hours later) with results showing no bacteria in her urine.
    I'm really frustrated with our vet. I told him she's still licking and he brushed it off, saying oh just clean around the vulva and call it a day, or something like that. I was surprised that the most recent test came back clean, due to the persistent licking. The vet probably did not notice the irritation around her vulva and I'm left wondering how the heck to treat it. Do I wipe her frequently? What about hydrogen peroxide and neosporin? I'd never heard of this before for use on a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Trudy View Post
    Thank you, Patty.
    I am not sure about the urine culture. The way they did it, the vet took the dog and they withdrew urine from her and did a culture. The first time we brought her in ,they tested something that a came back with a result very quickly, and then did an additional test that took a few days. On the latter test, they determined it was a drug-resistant form of bacteria.
    Then, when we retested her 3 days after the last pill, they withdrew urine from the dog (11 am) and called me the same day (but several hours later) with results showing no bacteria in her urine.
    I'm really frustrated with our vet. I told him she's still licking and he brushed it off, saying oh just clean around the vulva and call it a day, or something like that. I was surprised that the most recent test came back clean, due to the persistent licking. The vet probably did not notice the irritation around her vulva and I'm left wondering how the heck to treat it. Do I wipe her frequently? What about hydrogen peroxide and neosporin? I'd never heard of this before for use on a dog.
    First 2 bolds: A culture is only done at the laboratory wherein the vet draws urine from a "full" bladder via needle called a cystosentisis and send it to the lab. Those results take 3-5 days to grow a culture and determine the exact bacteria you are dealing with so the proper antibiotic can be given. If you are not sure this was done...... I don't know any vet that does this in house..... you need to call the vet and ask and also get copies of all lab results for your file.

3rd bold: tells me they tested in house and saw no bacteria. However, she is still showing signs of a UTI so I would question that last test being done in house. Can they see bacteria under a microscope? How do they determine bacteria, or not, in house? The fact that they called you the same day they took the urine sample tells me it was not sent out, but done in house.

I will also question (again) if the dog had food or water prior to the vet drawing the urine?

I would wipe her after every urination with unscented baby wipes or a soft tissue to absorb all urine that may pool. I would absolutely not use straight peroxide on her vulva. If anything it should be diluted 50/50 with water. That goes for humans and wounds as well. But personally, I would not use peroxide at all. If used full strength it can damage healthy flesh from my reading years ago.

Neosporin is a great tool but not where it can be constantly licked off and ingested. You are better off with bag balm (cvs) or something that will not hurt if ingested.

I am around tomorrow if you want to call me. sometimes its easier to talk on the phone. My number is available on my website. Hang tough, I will help you thru this. Your girl will have a cycle and be ok.

Thank you so much. This is very helpful. I'm going to take her back to the vets. The original problem is that I had to take her to an emergency vet the first time because it was a Sunday. So, they sent out the 3 day culture that found the resistant bacteria. At that point we switched her from the standard antibiotic to the more powerful one. Then the post-medication check was done at my regular vet and that was not sent out and only took a few hours to come back. So dealing with two different vets has complicated things. Im inclined to take her back to the emergency vet as the seemed more competent.

Since it appears her UTI is back (or was not cleared up) I would take another sample to the vet to see if her urine is clear or not and go from there. As I said she may not have been on the antib. long enough. I think most vets say 10 days but she may have needed it longer like 2 weeks or so. I would imagine if sample is positive for infection you are most likely dealing with the same bacteria found in the original culture. They will most likely put her back on the same antibiotic. Then be sure to wait 5 days for a retest.

Lisa got back to me and says the probiotic I link above is fine for dogs. Give one a day or split capsule and give it 2x/day. This may very well help ward off future UTIs like it has for my mom. I would get her on crancaps too.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos