Puppy

Labs and Golden Retrievers - Family Friends??

Something like this may have been posted, but I may be trying the wrong keywords for a search that resulted in nada. So, here goes:

Our Greta (golden retriever) is 25 months old, and for some time now has turned the corner from being a strong-headed and determined growing puppy to a more calm, obedient, and very sweet family member who "loves her daddy".

We had a lab for 10 years and lost her nearly two years ago due to a quick acting cancer. She was a terrific dog and miss her still. We are now considering bringing a puppy labrador retriever (from a highly reputable breeder) into the family in a couple of months (early Sept). I'm thinking that both breeds are very trainable, by nature are easy going and lovable, and would likely get along. Yes? Greta does very well with others and the occasional dog we meet on walks or park runs, etc.

So my questions are:

1. In general is this a good mix of household pets, or are we asking for a lot of work and training / behavioral issues beyond the usual "new puppy" routine?

2. Even though Greta is a sweet girl, do you think jealousy and either physical outbursts, growling, that sort of thing, could become a problem? What about Greta becoming depressed or withdrawn with doggie attention being split up (and likely more on the little one at least for a while)? As far as that goes - might the new puppy have similar issues when Greta gets the attention? We've never had two dogs together before.

Btw.... our kids are grown and on their own; we have a lot of flexibility in our lives and have time for them both - or at least I think we do!

Anyone here have a golden and a lab? How is that going for you and them?

Thanks for any advice here.

Doug, Linda & Greta.

I have a friend who breeds, shows, judges Goldens and Labs. They get along well. If your dogs are from a reputable breeder who does all clearances and competes, the dogs should have solid temperaments. Every dog is an individual of course, but Goldens and Labs are not known to be dog-aggressive generally.

If you are up for a puppy, just be sure to give both the current dog and new one their own private time with you.

Best Friend Retriever Snowco Labradors's Avatar
    No reason the two breeds should not get along. As long as you go with a breeder that breeds for proper temperament (and does all health clearances on parents) you should be fine. You will have to supervise closely in the beginning never leaving the older pup alone with the new pup to give them time to adjust and prevent the new pup being injured (even if just from too rough play).

We have labs and a bichon frise, nothing more to add to the great advice already given.

Good suggestions so far about bringing any new dog into a home with an existing dog.

We have both a golden and a lab as you can see from the smaller photo. Bentley, the golden, was 6 years old when we brought Luna home as an 8 week old puppy. They are now 13 yrs. old and almost 7 yrs. old.

There definitely was some jealousy going on at first by Bentley; so we had to make sire he still got his own private time with us. And never leave a young puppy alone with another dog no matter how friendly the circumstances seem to be.

As far as the two breeds of lab and golden, I think it is a great combination. They are both sporting dogs, retrievers, so have a lot of similarities. They have similar play styles and tend to get along with other dogs. Goldens seem to act a little goofier and silly sometimes; while a lab strikes me as more earnest. Of course, it can just be personality differences also. We have been very pleased with the combination. A lot depends on finding good dogs and properly socializing and training them. It sounds like you have the time to do it. I hope it works for you.

Here's my girl Sophie playing with my DD's Golden.

I'd say they were fine together!

*thread hijack* love the pics of Sophie and her "cousin" !*back on topic* i know several people who have both a Golden and a Lab, and they are fine. just what everyone else has said, good breeder, proper supervision, and training, and one on one time for BOTH dog and pup

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoutpout For This Useful Post:

barry581 (07-09-2014)

I think they do perfect together. Kain's girlfriend is a 7 year old golden and they worship they ground each other walks on .
    Katie and Kain
    Hidden Content

Only thing I might recommend is getting a male lab, that would lower the chances of competitive conflict if your golden has "alpha" tendencies. The two breeds are very similar in behavior, temperament , and intelligence.

Maxx's best friend is his trainer's Golden and they get along perfectly. Maxx loves all dogs, considers every one to be a long lost best friend when first meeting but he absolutely adores Sophie. I love watching them together, they really have a special bond.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos