Thread: 22 dead

22 dead

Here on the news the past few weeks have been a story involving a doggy care center that had 22 dogs die while their owners thought they were safe and sound at a boarding facility. One of the dogs chewed through an electrical chord and killed power to the AC. It's still under investigation and people are calling for more laws concerning these facilities. I stress at leaving Opie anyways and have never left him in the hands of anyone but my son who lives next door. This week we are again taking a trip and we are leaving the chihuahuas with my son but are taking Opie with us.

We are heading out to at least two national parks and if we hit the gate and they are not pet friendly, we leave and go elsewhere, it's that simple. I could not express the emotions I would have if I found that any of my dogs, especially Opie, was subjected to die a slow suffocating death as these poor dogs did.

without knowing the details, or circumstances, what are your thoughts about leaving your furkids with a facility like this. For me it is not an option.

Doubt I could bring myself to leave Shiloh with anyone I don't know, even if they are a professional facility. We travel out of state frequently to see my wife's family and he always stays with my parents. That way I know the worst that could happen is that he'll get spoiled or eat too much.
    Last edited by Carlos; 07-06-2014 at 10:36 PM.
    Shiloh 12/24/12
    Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Carlos For This Useful Post:

Bamps (07-06-2014)

It's pretty scary. We boarded Jet at least once a year and had a couple of place we felt really comfortable with. Oban has only been boarded once. Freak things do happen but I did read about the 22 dogs and the whole thing sounds suspicious. But how can one possible tell ahead of time whether a freak thing is going to happen or if they've been duped? Remember the other thread about the Vet who kept dogs for nefarious purposes that the owners were told needed to be kindly put to sleep?

My friend's dog often boarded at her Vet's and one time was nearly mauled to death when she and two GSD all got out of their kennels at night when no one was there. Another friend's dog died at and the body stolen by the place he boarded and that place was a Lab breeder, one who would likely fit in that sticky on reputable breeders.

Sometimes you have to board. Weddings, funerals, graduations, you have to go to them and maybe the person you trust with your dog does too. Most boarding places don't attract this kind of attention. Most dogs survive being spayed and neutered. There is probably going to be a rare, sad event with anything for somebody. All we can do is take steps ahead of time to reduce the risk by knowing as much as we can about the places we trust.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

Bamps (07-06-2014)

Ive known our vet for over 20 years, im ok with leaving the dogs there for a few nights if i have to. Normally they are left with my Mom

As far as some random boarding place, absolutely not

Those poor dogs

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ZoeysMommy For This Useful Post:

Bamps (07-06-2014)

Senior Dog
    What a nightmare.

I love to travel and having Kimber really has limited our ability to go to far-flung places. We have one set of friends who will watch Kimber for us but their lives are hectic so we don't ask for more than a long weekend. I'm willing to consider a local kennel, but putting aside awful tragedies like above, DH can't stand the idea of Kimber being caged, period. But it's altered our preferred lifestyle enough that we have discussed perhaps, post-Kimber, doing a whole bunch of travel before getting another dog.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kimbersmom For This Useful Post:

Bamps (07-06-2014)

It is such a sad story. We don't travel much but when we do our dog trainer keeps them for us.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to roro For This Useful Post:

Bamps (07-06-2014)

We are like ZoeysMommy, I have known our vet since the 80's and trust him to care for Mocha when we travel. We would never leave Mocha with anyone we don't know VERY well.
    Hidden Content
    Mocha:Born 7/13/14 Gottcha 9/13/14 Latte: Born 7/15/16 Gottcha 9/9/16
    Labs- "Hearts of gold, heads of stone, cast iron stomachs"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sparky For This Useful Post:

Bamps (07-06-2014)

Oh my gosh.. That's horrible.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Lacey5559 For This Useful Post:

Bamps (07-06-2014)

oh how terrible.... i have to travel for work. when my last guys got to be really old seniors, i didnt feel comfortable boarding them, so had dog walker/sitters come in to them. then when i got Scout, i checked out a couple of places that were recommended by people i knew with dogs. theres his favourite place, another place thats ok, and he has also stayed with our trainer. my parents are older, and they are out of the country roughly half the year anyway, so if i'm gone overnight he goes off to his doggy hotel,.the same place he gets to go to daycare and loves it. he has the parents or his dog walker for lunch breaks if i'm away for the day. i still worry....

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoutpout For This Useful Post:

Bamps (07-06-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos