Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So upset

So upset

My last set of kittens came up positive for fiv which means they all are going to have to be put to sleep. This is the hardest part bc now of course I've had them for 5 weeks and I'm attached to them.

Quote Originally Posted by sheltieluver View Post
    My last set of kittens came up positive for fiv which means they all are going to have to be put to sleep. This is the hardest part bc now of course I've had them for 5 weeks and I'm attached to them.
    T'aint necessarily so. It could be a false positive if their mother nursed them and they are exhibiting maternal antibodies only. I will try to find the link: I am pretty sure Cornell and some other link cover this. They are in your home now, so you can treat it differently than the quick triage that must be done in a shelter. Was their mother also available and tested positive? Did they nurse?

Even if they are positive some weeks from now, though, you could try keeping them or adopting out to FIV+ homes. I realize that these are both very hard to do.

Also, in kittens, negatives can be false and positives can be false, too! One of the reasons I stopped doing cat rescue!

Found link:

Feline Immunodeficiency Virus

• Since false-positive results may occur, veterinarians recommend that positive results be confirmed using a test with a different format.
    • Infected mother cats transfer FIV antibodies to nursing kittens, so kittens born to infected mothers may receive positive test results for several months after birth. However, few of these kittens actually are or will become infected. To clarify their infection status, kittens younger than six months of age receiving positive results should be retested at 60-day intervals until they are at least six months old.

• Negative results

• A negative test result indicates that antibodies directed against FIV have not been detected, and, in most cases, this implies that the cat is not infected. Nevertheless, it takes eight to 12 weeks after infection (and sometimes even longer) before detectable levels of antibody appear, so if the test is performed during this interval, inaccurate results might be obtained. Therefore, antibody-negative cats with either an unknown or a known exposure to FIV-infected cats-such as through the bite of an unknown cat-should be retested a minimum of 60 days after their most recent exposure in order to allow adequate time for development of antibodies.

Can't they be placed as "only" kitties in homes?

Here is another bit of info and other links

https://www.catvets.com/public/PDFs/P...LS-Summary.pdf
    This is so complicated. Was the mother vaccinated? Did she possibly have a false positive or was she actually sick? She was unlikely to bite her own kittens, so this is different than an FeLV positive, to a great extent. I just have to say that sometimes ya gotta do what ya feel is right for the whole pack, or in this case, colony. I would support your decision either way, as you have more facts on their history.
    Current tests cannot distinguish vaccinated cats from infected cats. Clients should be informed that vaccinated cats will have positive FIV test results, and the decision to vaccinate should be reached only after careful consideration of this implication. If the decision falls in favor of vaccination, cats should test negative immediately prior to vaccination

https://www.catvets.com/public/PDFs/P...LS-Summary.pdf.

Thanks for the info. Mom was feral we got the kittens at 2 weeks and I bottle fed them. We don't know mom's history and most likely she's never been vaccinated. It's not up to me but the rescue they are making a decision. I told them I could take them for another month and retest still waiting 5 I hear back

Hoping that the testing was a false positive.

paws crossed the test was incorrect!

Please retest. I had two litter mates test positive at a couple years. Female live to 13, male to 17. So who knows.
    -- Ken, owned by:

Max - Black Lab mix gotcha 4/23/2012 Born 12/2011
    Scarlett - Yellow Lab gotcha 4/19/2013 Born 2008? 2007?
    Lizzy - Terrier mix gotcha 6/29/2014 Born 2006?
    Zeus - Papillon mix gotcha 1/30/2015 Born 3/26/2014

Avatar: Ziggy, my kitty who crossed the bridge a few years ago.
    He slept in the sink for years, silly boy.
    Hidden Content

That's really tough. I'm so sorry and hope that the results aren't correct. I would retest as well.

Senior Dog
    Definitely would retest if it was me. Poor kitties.

KAZ

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos