Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Electric Range or Stove, convection or not?

I'd love some feedback as I try to bring out kitchen further into this century. I have finally given up on our grand old Hotpoint range that came with the house. It was probably awesome in the late 60s, but we can't get parts for it anymore. It's hard to clean and the thermostat is wacky now.

Should I get a range with convection? If yes, True Convection (heating element around the fan) or regular Convection?

NOTE: I am not ready to try induction, and I read that the electromagnetic field with the induction range is not good with pacemakers. While we hope to never need them, friends, family, and neighbors are not getting any younger!

I am into made in America for big purchases, such as ranges and autos. I can't do a super expensive range. I am looking at GE smoothtops, such as these. I do not want a range with a second oven near the floor--my knees will protest bringing a turkey up from there! I wanted to also make it ADA compliant, but that is not to be. I really don't like the ones that I have seen in my price range.
    JB750DFCC | GE® 30" Free-Standing Electric Convection Range | GE Appliances
    or this regular convection one

JB690DFWW | GE® 30" Free-Standing Electric Convection Range | GE Appliances

Yeah, plain vanilla. I like white. I actually like Biscuit or Almond, like a yellow Lab, too, but I will just get white. Nose, paw, and hand prints on stainless steel make me nuts. I just want to wipe, not dedicate my life to appliance maintenance. I realize that the stovetop is nothing like my mother's old Corning glass topped range. I can deal with that.

TIA.

Had electric only once and never liked it. Guess to many years cooking with gas.

Have not had a convection oven either. Sorry no help.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (07-09-2014), MikeLynn (07-09-2014)

I have a tiny little toaster oven that has a convection setting. and I never use it. you usually have to adjust cooking times and temps due to the fan circulating the heat. So there might be a learning curve that you need to get used to if you go that route. As for the smooth top electric they are not near as good at temp regulation as gas or induction, but that might not matter depending on your style of cooking.

I think induction is the way of the future it's way safer then electric since it doesn't heat up. the risk you talk about with the pacemaker are very very slim since you basically need to be on top of thing touching it to have any effects and it's only for the old style of pacemakers.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to emma_Dad For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (07-09-2014)

The only thing I would suggest is go with the black top like you have in the links. I had one with a white top and it always looked a bit dirty. The pans would leave marks that were hard to get off.

It was also a GE and I had no other complaints.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CraftHer For This Useful Post:

My most favorite range in all my decades of cooking was a Kitchen Aid Dual Fuel (gas top / electric oven) with a true convention baking option. It was a dream. But we moved to another house and when it came time to replace the range, I was not ready to spend the roughly $2500 or so to get the same again.

So, I now have a Frigidaire Professional series gas range. Continue to love gas burners - it would be a challenge to go back to electric stove top cooking from my early days. I'm less thrilled with gas ovens compared to electric ovens but I've adapted. I think the Frigidaire Gallery series would be in the price range you're talking about. When I did have a true convection oven I ended up using it about a third of the time. It did take a little adapting of recipes.

Have fun with whatever you buy.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LuckyLuna For This Useful Post:

We have a gas stove/oven, but have a microwave that is also a convection oven. I think it works pretty well, it cooks fairly evenly and is good for foods that you hope to cook to a crispy texture. We have GE Profile line appliances and are happy with them.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Maggie's Mom For This Useful Post:

Have the induction for 2 burners and the other 2 are regular- love my convection oven. I love to bake and we use the oven a lot !

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Thelove For This Useful Post:

Senior Dog
    I have that stove, the one with the convection oven! WARNING: IT TAKES THE OVEN FOREVER TO PREHEAT. Like, 20+ minutes to get to 350 degrees! Drives me crazy. And it's not the convection oven, it's the model of stove.

We did next-level in the line for our dishwasher but not the stove and I regret it. The convection oven is not nearly as good as the one in our rental house (which had a high-end Jenn-Air). The stovetop works fine, but Heavens to Mergatroide, I hate how slow it preheats. When I know I'm going to need the oven for dinner, I turn it on an dtake Kimber for a walk!

PS When we built our house a couple of years ago, we did a LOT of investigating on this. The dealbreaker for induction was that you needed a special set of pots and pans. Uh, no.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

15. The Following User Says Thank You to kimbersmom For This Useful Post:

Glass top with convection. You will not regret it.
    Shiloh 12/24/12
    Hidden Content

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Carlos For This Useful Post:

Best Friend Retriever Polly Pipkin's Avatar
    We had a Jenn Air convection oven in our last 2 homes and I loved it. Food cooked in less time, roasts and turkeys were evenly cooked. Now we have a GE and a Cuisinart convection toaster oven that I use to cook just about everything.
    Hidden Content Katy & Polly

Hidden Content

Duchess Jan. 31, 2000 - Dec. 18, 2011, Always in our hearts

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Polly Pipkin For This Useful Post:

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos