Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Puppy

Limping puppy diagnosed with elbow dysplasia

Hi everyone,

i wrote on the forum previously about my 6 month old chocolate labrador, Brody, limping.

He was limping on his front right leg for a few days, I took him to an orthopaedic vet who didn't want to jump to conclusions and recommend I feed him expensive dog food Vet Essentials for 6 weeks as his limp was mild and the food will help mobility.

Unfortunately for us Brody's limp never went away. It didn't worsen but definitely didn't improve. I took him for a CT scan yesterday (7.5 months) - he is diagnosed with Grade 2 elbow dysplasia FCP and very mild hip dysplasia on the right hip (joint covered 35% instead of preferred 50%). He has shown some degenerative change on the elbows so arothoscopy surgery is urgent.

He he is booked in for surgey on Thursday morning next week (29 May 14) for both elbows. I'm not considering any surgery for the hips only remedial.

i have never in my life been so heart broken and devastated. Could anyone going through this please tell me how their dog is going now, what the recovery process is like, what I should expect?? He was never crated/caged as a puppy so it's going to be hard. Is he crated all day? For how long?

Please any any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

I have not had a dog with this issue, just wanted to say I am so sorry and send good thoughts for your baby.

Coffeedogs and Voodoo are 2 members that have been through this and can answer your questions.
    Last edited by Maxx&Emma; 05-22-2014 at 10:09 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

sunburn (05-22-2014)

House Broken
    I have sort of been through this...but not the surgery.
    My girl Java was diagnosed with ED (FCP)in both elbows at her ortho consult for her blown knees. She had always been asymptomatic for the ED, until she tore her knees. With both CCLs blown, she shifted her weight off her back legs, onto her front legs, which caused the ED in her elbows to flare. She was 13 months old at the time. Our ortho advised us to wait until after her knees were both repaired, then evaluate her elbows again.
    Once both knees were surgically repaired and she was fully recovered, all symptoms of ED had disappeared again. Our ortho believes in treating the dog, not the x-rays, so although her x-rays indicated the ED, as long as she wasn't showing symptoms of it, no pain or limping, then he advised us to wait. Which we have.

Java is now 5 and still does not have any symptoms of her ED. If she does at some point in the future, we will do the surgery. We have pet insurance, so cost does not play any role in our decision to not do surgery. She's just doing really well, so there is no need to do the surgery now. We do keep her VERY, very lean, which is SO important for orthopedically challenged dogs, which you also have. Even if you think they are at a good weight, take a few lbs off, it makes a world of difference in dogs with compromised joints.
    Also, start looking into good supplements now-but don't start them until after surgery and all pain meds are done. Some supplements can cause bleeding during surgery.
    Java is on a good regimen of supplements, which works well for her. She is also on all grain free foods as grains in dog food *can* cause inflammation in joints.

Java is 100% healthy, happy and active-she runs, swims, hikes and wrestles for hours with no restrictions and no after effects. She's just as active, if not more active, then when she was younger.

Here is a couple pics of Java-AFTER her knee surgeries and her diagnosis of ED, DJD & OCDJava is the girl in the red collar-she's bigger than Moka)

That is Java, in the air catching her Jolly Ball:

And her favorite thing to do.....

Good luck!
    I know it's heartbreaking-we have been through 2 CCL surgeries and 2 surgeries for a broken leg on our other pup (when she was just 4 months old). It can be challenging, but there is no reason your dog cannot live a full, happy and active life after surgery. These conditions can be well managed.

As far as crate rest and recovery-I'm not sure about the recovery from this type of surgery, but whatever it is-follow the surgeon's instructions strictly. My most important advice I can give-make sure your surgeon is a board certified ortho surgeon, not just a regular vet surgeon, and also-get into a routine for feeding, potty, pain meds, etc as soon as you can after surgery. It will make life much easier and the time will fly by!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to coffeedogs For This Useful Post:

sunburn (05-22-2014)

House Broken
    Let me just clarify before I am called out on it.....not ALL dogs with ED do well without surgery. Most ED dogs do need the surgery, we are just fortunate, and Java is too, that Java does not need surgery at this time. I am not against surgery in any way, it just hasn't been necessary yet in our case. If the day comes that Java does need it, it will be done.

I did not want you to think that I am advocating for not doing the surgery.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to coffeedogs For This Useful Post:

sunburn (05-22-2014)

Java and Moka - the bionic girls! Gina, thier stories are so inspirational, I tell anyone I come in to contact with facing similar issues about them. I think your devoted care and rehab made a world of difference. My Emma has arthritis in her hips and spine and your suggestion of GF food, supplements and weight control have turned her back in to a puppy most days. I have not had to use any pain meds at all. A million thanks to you!
    Last edited by Maxx&Emma; 05-22-2014 at 01:48 PM. Reason: correction and spelling!
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Chili had both elbows operated on at 7.5 months old. one elbow was perfect and the other messed up with loose flaps of cartilage, bone fragments, lesions, etc..The Dr said he fixed everything best he could and chili has 50/50 shot of full recovery. since the surgery, chili was on meds for about a week and confined to the home/back patio for about a month. during that time I did physical therapy/underwater treadmill once a week for a month. after the 1st month, i started taking chili on short 5 min walks 3-4 times a week. now after 2/3 months I am pretty much back to normal routine with Chili. If i let chili loose after surgery, he would try to run/jump/play...so restriction is needed or the pup may hurt themselves during recovery. I did start using hylasport supplements after surgery.

Chili before surgery

Chili after surgery

Chili a couple weeks ago
    Amateur pet owner
    Hidden Content
    Chili born 7/21/2013

10. The Following User Says Thank You to voodoo For This Useful Post:

sunburn (05-22-2014)

I did elbow surgery on a puppy that I bought a couple years ago. He too was symptomatic and had FCP. The road was long after the surgery (from complete crate/x-pen rest to physical therapy to short walks to off leash play) but it was very much worth it for him. While he'll have arthritis when he's older (lets face it, everything does if it lives long enough ), he leads a completely normal life.

You say that your pup is not used to being crated or contained, I'd get him used to that NOW becuase it's absolutely going to be a necessity in the next couple months.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to piccadilly For This Useful Post:

sunburn (05-22-2014)

Great suggestion on crate training now! Make it a happy place, feed him in the crate, toss high value treats and toys in to the crate randomly and Google "crate games" for some great ideas.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

sunburn (05-22-2014)

House Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxx&Emma View Post
    Java and Moka - the bionic girls! Gina, thier stories are so inspirational, I tell anyone I come in to contact with facing similar issues about them. I think your devoted care and rehab made a world of difference. My Emma has arthritis in her hips and spine and your suggestion of GF food, supplements and weight control have turned her back in to a puppy most days. I have not had to use any pain meds at all. A million thanks to you!
    Thank you Tammy!!
    Java is bionic...Moka is not. She had her hardware removed about 12 weeks after her initial surgery for her broken leg.
    I smile each and every time I watch my girls run, swim and play....the outcome could have been so different. They are real troopers and they do inspire me. Especially Java....all 4 of her legs are affected, but it never slows her down.

It was suspected that Niner had elbow dysplasia at 5 months. We waited a month to see what would happen and sure enough he had elbow dysplasia in both elbows. At 6 months we did arthroscopic surgery. In his left elbow (this is the one where he had a very, very slight limp)he had FCP and OCD. In his right elbow FCP. Recovery went well (and we have another dog). This all happened 1 1/2 years ago. Today Niner has never been better. Never limps and can run around like an idiot with no problems. I do have him on Cosequin DS plus MSM (cheapest at Coscto for a big bottle). He takes two a day. I also give fish oil, but probably not enough to make a difference.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Nancy0 For This Useful Post:

sunburn (05-22-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos