Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Oh, My Aching Back

We tackled the front garden this morning. All the plants gathered over the years are shade loving varieties. Now that the big tree is gone, they all have to be moved. I dug them all out then DH tilled and garden adding garden soil, peat moss, and the fine wood chips from the stump grinding. This is no small garden, about a third of the front yard. The hardest part was digging out tree roots. There are plants in the back that will do well in a sunny spot, Asian lilies, day lilies, iris, roses and peonies that will do beautifully there. Last fall DH rebuilt the garden bench so it's ready to join the plantings. The replanting is my chore.

The afternoon was spent digging a 3 foot hole for a new flag pole. The old one had to be taken down as the tree grew and encompassed it. Then set the base of the pole and put in about 50 pounds of cement. Get a break from finishing for a few days while the cement hardens.

We got so filthy. At least the weather was nice, sun and low 70s. It's actually cool this evening. After DH heads off to work this evening, I'm going to take a long soak in the tub.

I can't wait to see pictures! That is a lot of work, I am glad you had nice weather to get everything done.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

It'll be gorgeous! Hope you feel better soon.

sounds lovely- post pics please......enjoy the tub!

Definitely sounds like back-breaking work; but the end result will be so worth it. Hope you can enjoy a relaxing evening. Looking forward to some photos when it's all done.

Shoulda let Mardi help!!!
    Shiloh 12/24/12
    Hidden Content

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Carlos For This Useful Post:

POPTOP (07-10-2014)

Awesome work! I have been slowly doing my gardens, but I hurt my sciatica early in the year (bending down to clean up Bacon poop no less!) so it has been a slow process.
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    Will be lovely after completed. Lots of work and hope you enjoyed your soak in the tub.

KAZ

I'm not particularly fond of yard work. I have a veggie garden in a shade house but that's about it.

Started working on the garden out back, the one that's full of lilies, daffodils, tulips, iris, peonies, etc. Dug up two huge buckets of bulbs so far. They are now ending up in too much shade since the tree out back is growing. That's all the stuff I'm moving out front. What a chore. Will have DH till and amend that garden and move all the shade plants there. So far the weather had held good; might rain tomorrow. Ah shucks, might get a day of digging off.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos