Sticks, Stones, and tree bark

Our Amber loves picking up everything from our yard and on walks. We have taught her to drop it but it's so annoying not to be able to take your eyes off her for one second. We live in North Carolina in a yard full of big oaks so the yard is full of fun things to get when we walk her. With our other labs we lived in Florida and the yards didn't have much for them to pick up.
    When do they finally quit picking up things that might harm them? I suppose they are all different just like kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
    Our Amber loves picking up everything from our yard and on walks. We have taught her to drop it but it's so annoying not to be able to take your eyes off her for one second. We live in North Carolina in a yard full of big oaks so the yard is full of fun things to get when we walk her. With our other labs we lived in Florida and the yards didn't have much for them to pick up.
    When do they finally quit picking up things that might harm them? I suppose they are all different just like kids.
    When Lido was younger, he was TERRIBLE grabbing rocks and actually trying to eat them. He finally outgrew it, but for awhile, I had to take him outside on leash, even though our yard is fenced, because I feared him eating so many that he would get a blockage. He still forages for sticks, chews them, eats them, LOVES them. I think it must be a lab thing. He also adores my flowering plants and eats them, too. He chewed a small azalea down to the ground (RIP azalea). Azaleas are supposedly toxic to dogs, but fortunately, he suffered no ill effects. He also adores my rose bushes, thorns and all. I'm always guarding them when he's out in the yard. His favorite teen-age antic right now is to grab a stem as he runs across the yard by them. I hope they survive, poor things! Lido knows he's being bad. He actually looks like he's laughing as he does it - tongue lolling out of his mouth and eyes full of mischief, the little devil! Sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by Beth C View Post
    When Lido was younger, he was TERRIBLE grabbing rocks and actually trying to eat them. He finally outgrew it, but for awhile, I had to take him outside on leash, even though our yard is fenced, because I feared him eating so many that he would get a blockage. He still forages for sticks, chews them, eats them, LOVES them. I think it must be a lab thing. He also adores my flowering plants and eats them, too. He chewed a small azalea down to the ground (RIP azalea). Azaleas are supposedly toxic to dogs, but fortunately, he suffered no ill effects. He also adores my rose bushes, thorns and all. I'm always guarding them when he's out in the yard. His favorite teen-age antic right now is to grab a stem as he runs across the yard by them. I hope they survive, poor things! Lido knows he's being bad. He actually looks like he's laughing as he does it - tongue lolling out of his mouth and eyes full of mischief, the little devil! Sigh...
    We don't have a fenced in yard so we have to have her on leash at all times but I know what you mean about plants. So many are suppose to be poisonous and we also have wild ivy growing in one part of our yard which is suppose to be toxic as well. Labs are so sweet by the time they are 2 or 3 but such a handful up to that point! Too bad I'm crazy about them anyway! LOL

Totally normal. I trade for cookies.

Sticks, Stones, and tree bark

One of Diggity’s favorite hobbies is landscaping. He loves keeping my yard tidy and happily picks up sticks, pine cones, acorns, rabbit poop...you name it. He also likes pruning my apple trees, my hydrangea bushes, my blackberry bushes, and the little maple tree. He’s quite the little helper! :-)

However...a few weeks ago, I let him out for his final potty break and went in to get things ready for bed. When I called him (10 minutes later) to come in, he wouldn’t come and I found him running around pawing at his mouth. Turns out, he had gotten a stick wedged into the roof of his mouth, going sideways between his top teeth!! Thankfully, I was able to get it out, but this little guy can’t be left unattended for 10 minutes! I have a big backyard that is totally fenced in and one day, I’ll be able to relax when he’s out there. Not so much now...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Senior Dog
    Very scary! Lab puppies take a while to settle down..they will put everything and anything in their mouths. But be careful... you don't want them to end up with a blockage.

I know of someone that brought a Lab puppy home this past Fall...she let him out in her large fenced in yard (unsupervised) and the puppy ate so many leaves, he ended up with a blockage and $2000.00 later! Poor puppy! He's doing fine now...but no one wants to put a puppy through that.

Quote Originally Posted by lovemylabby View Post
    Very scary! Lab puppies take a while to settle down..they will put everything and anything in their mouths. But be careful... you don't want them to end up with a blockage.

I know of someone that brought a Lab puppy home this past Fall...she let him out in her large fenced in yard (unsupervised) and the puppy ate so many leaves, he ended up with a blockage and $2000.00 later! Poor puppy! He's doing fine now...but no one wants to put a puppy through that.
    I don't know how anyone can leave a young lab unsupervised outside for more than a few minutes! To me it would be like leaving him loose in your house. I know she will eventually get over the love of everything on the ground and when we walk my husband and I can take our eyes off her from time to time.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Amelia For This Useful Post:

lovemylabby (02-27-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by lovemylabby View Post
    I know! It was scary and a reminder that he still needs constant monitoring, especially because he’s extremely mouthy and has zero inhibitions. This is another reason I’m not letting him out of his crate at night yet. I can’t watch him while I’m sleeping. One day, I keep telling myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bmathers For This Useful Post:

lovemylabby (02-27-2019)

Senior Dog
    Letting your Lab puppy in your yard unsupervised is the same as letting him loose in your house unsupervised. Lol! But it's not funny...lol!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos