Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How do you know when it is aggression?

Wrigley is 15 weeks. I've been clicker training him since we got him. I recently purchased the gentle harness and today on our walk, he became so frustrated with it that he began lunging, growling and biting me. I was scarred!!! I had a really rough time getting him to stop. Needless to say, I won't be using the harness. I really think he was so uncomfortable.

anyway, my nerves were so shot, I've been in tears in and off all day. How do I know if I do have an aggressive pup? If he is irritated and acts like he did as an adult pup, serious damage would've been done.

We are in puppy classes. I work on our assignments tirelessly. I just can't be certain the little guy will never be in a situation that will make him snap after what I experienced this morning. I've read and read. When he has his crazy times, I can tell it's because he needs to train to tire him out or play tug. This morning was out of discomfort.

sorry for rambling. I just feel discouraged.

House Broken
    He's 15 weeks, he's not being aggressive - he's being an irritated puppy who wants you to take it off. Simple as that.

That being said, lose the harness (for now) and try a martingale.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Taylor For This Useful Post:

MontananDakota (07-11-2014)

Very low likelihood of it being aggression. Think of it more as a temper tantrum - he's just a baby.

Just like babies, it's important to know when puppy is tired (force a nap) when puppy has had enough (take a play break) and find something really high value to reward with for the things that puppy struggles with.

Sounds like you're doing the right thing with going to class and practicing a lot. Just be patient and don't put too many expectations on the puppy, or yourself for that matter.
    Laura, Archie & Quinn
    Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    Sounds like a temper tantrum to me. If you couldn't shake the dog off or pull him off after a bite, now there's aggression for you.

Class will be a really good help for both your confidence and your pup. Finding the right collar will also help. Maybe a harness once he's older?

KAZ

It's a temper tantrum. And frankly, if you want to use the harness for some reason, do it. I would not change my mind just because the pup didn't like it and threw a fit. However, I would introduce it differently -- slowly and positively. For example, put it on and keep him distracted with high-value treats and treat him. I would get his meal ready and use that, feeding him small amounts out of your hands. Work up to the point that you are feeding him the entire meal by small handfuls while he is calmly wearing the harness. If he throws a fit, ignore him. As soon as he stops, start back up. And, I mean as soon as he stops. Don't wait. Don't talk to him about what he's just done. Just start as soon as he stops.

My dogs have never, ever, ever done this to me. I have seen them get grumpy with other puppies at puppy romps when they have decided they have had enough and need a nap. That being said, I have heard of other pups doing this to their owners, so I know it's not necessarily unusual. If you get upset, give him his way, act afraid when he does this, it's just going to get worse as he figures out that doing that gets him what he wants. You need to be confident, a true leader, with your pup. And no, not an alpha. If you are a leader, your pup will want to make you happy and will become upset when you are disappointed with him, which Labs really hate.

You say you are tirelessly training your pup. What does this entail? Many people make the mistake of working on commands for too long, to the point where the pup is bored or learns to loathe training. Five minutes maybe three times per day is all you need, and quit when you pup still wants more. That way, he will always look forward to it. Use his meals as treats, like I explained above, and do your training at mealtimes, which will make your pup really focused. If you only have three minutes, do half of his meal and feed him from the bowl, starting on a good note. I recommend doing the Ian Dunbar sit, down, stand routine at mealtimes.

When you are not purposefully training, always be implementing training into your routine. This might mean the following: your pup sits for everything he wants -- opening the door, putting on the leash to go for a walk, pets, toys, getting into the car, etc., teaching your pup the 'wait' command when going out the door so that he does not rush out (can potentially save his life), retrieving toys in the house and in that vein teaching drop it, being calm in his crate or bed or place, etc.

If you do this, your puppy and later, your dog, will have much more respect for you as a leader and think twice before acting like this again! People think I train my dogs every day, all the time, when the truth is I work with them maybe a total of 30 minutes per week (in a good week) outside of my regular weekly training classes. However, every time I interact with them, I am training them. If they are eating a meal, if they are playing a game of fetch, when I open the door for them to go outside or come inside, etc. I don't even think about it anymore, it's just automatic.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Labradorks For This Useful Post:

doubledip1 (07-10-2014), emma_Dad (07-10-2014), Maxx&Emma (07-11-2014), sarah (07-11-2014)

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
    It's a temper tantrum. And frankly, if you want to use the harness for some reason, do it. I would not change my mind just because the pup didn't like it and threw a fit. However, I would introduce it differently -- slowly and positively. For example, put it on and keep him distracted with high-value treats and treat him. I would get his meal ready and use that, feeding him small amounts out of your hands. Work up to the point that you are feeding him the entire meal by small handfuls while he is calmly wearing the harness. If he throws a fit, ignore him. As soon as he stops, start back up. And, I mean as soon as he stops. Don't wait. Don't talk to him about what he's just done. Just start as soon as he stops.

My dogs have never, ever, ever done this to me. I have seen them get grumpy with other puppies at puppy romps when they have decided they have had enough and need a nap. That being said, I have heard of other pups doing this to their owners, so I know it's not necessarily unusual.

You say you are tirelessly training your pup. What does this entail? Many people make the mistake of working on commands for too long, to the point where the pup is bored or learns to loathe training. Five minutes maybe three times per day is all you need, and quit when you pup still wants more. That way, he will always look forward to it. Use his meals as treats, like I explained above, and do your training at mealtimes, which will make your pup really focused. If you only have three minutes, do half of his meal. I recommend doing the Ian Dunbar sit, down, stand routine at mealtimes.

When you are not purposefully training, always be implementing training into your routine. This might mean the following: your pup sits for everything he wants -- opening the door, putting on the leash to go for a walk, pets, toys, getting into the car, etc., teaching your pup the 'wait' command when going out the door so that he does not rush out (can potentially save his life), retrieving toys in the house and in that vein teaching drop it, being calm in his crate or bed or place, etc.

If you do this, your puppy and later, your dog, will have much more respect for you as a leader and think twice before acting like this again! People think I train my dogs every day, all the time, when the truth is I work with them maybe a total of 30 minutes per week (in a good week) outside of my regular weekly training classes. However, every time I interact with them, I am training them. If they are eating a meal, if they are playing a game of fetch, when I open the door for them to go outside or come inside, etc. I don't even think about it anymore, it's just automatic.
    All good points Labradork, but if someone is scared as this OP said, maybe a little help from someone with more confidence? Well meaning as your words are, scared is still scared which any dog or even a pup can feel. This is when the owners should get the help needed from someone who can actually show them and help them understand how to become leader to their dog.

BTW, maybe first time using a harness, isn't it a different training method? Sometimes harnesses, whether you want to use them or not, isn't the right collar for certain dogs?

KAZ

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ZRabbits For This Useful Post:

MontananDakota (07-11-2014)

I would agree with Labradorks. Any time you introduce something new you need to do it gracefully and positively. Dogs and pups will learn to love it. If you just put it on them chances are they will hate it. Take the Cone of Shame for example. Hemi, my boy has no issue with it other than getting around. However, there may be some time he has to go to the vet and maybe the vet just puts one on him and then imagine waking up in a crate with this cone you don't know on your head. Lots of dogs have issue with it. Same as a harness, or a backpack or a life vest or any type of clothing. If introduced improperly they will hate it. And yes Pups have temper tantrums just like a little kid I am sure you have seen lay on the floor kick their feet and cry or scream.

Sometimes just like little kids pups are tired and will do things to keep themselves awake, usually ornery things. This is where crate training really comes in handy, you just put them in there and they will sleep. When they wake up there is the sweet pup you know.

So like when I introduced the Cone to Hemi it took me an hour and a lot of treats, kisses and happy, happy voice and lots of praise over a week. Let him smell it and as soon as nose touches, click, treat. Do it again, and again, and again now its a game. Put on head and remove quickly, click treat, again, and again. Keep going until you you get it on, not all fastened. Shouldn't take long 5-10 minutes. Then treat and click and take it back off. Your done for the day. Tomorrow you put it on and take it off several times and start to buckle it, next day then walk a little around the house. Next day you walk around the yard. Don't forget lots of praise and happy yays!!

Best thing you can do when a tartrum happens especially on leash. Stand completely still as hard like a rock as you can and ignore it completely. No touching, no commenting, just let him throw a tantrum and once he learns it gets him no where well then they stop

Quote Originally Posted by ZRabbits View Post
    All good points Labradork, but if someone is scared as this OP said, maybe a little help from someone with more confidence? Well meaning as your words are, scared is still scared which any dog or even a pup can feel. This is when the owners should get the help needed from someone who can actually show them and help them understand how to become leader to their dog.

BTW, maybe first time using a harness, isn't it a different training method? Sometimes harnesses, whether you want to use them or not, isn't the right collar for certain dogs?

KAZ
    She said she was taking puppy classes, so I'm assuming there is a teacher there to help? Otherwise, yes, I would have said to get the pup into class. And yes, the OP was scared. The suggestions I listed would create a confident owner, a respectful pup, a owner/dog bond, an easier to train puppy, etc. which all feeds into a better behaved dog and a happier owner.

I don't think a harness works for every dog, but how do you know when the pup throws a fit as soon as you put it on? There are things in life that are uncomfortable for a pup, but they need it, it's for their own good, and they need to get over it. Nail clipping, nail dremelling, ear cleaning, temperature taking, leashes, collars, gentle leaders, bathes, getting toweled off -- all things that our pups have had to get used to, and perhaps threw a fit over, fought, or in other ways acted uncomfortable. The harness is not going to kill the puppy. If she finds that it doesn't work for the dog, then she stops using it. Obviously, if she put it on wrong, it's the wrong size, etc. then of course, the pup has reason to flip out.

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Labradorks View Post
    She said she was taking puppy classes, so I'm assuming there is a teacher there to help? Otherwise, yes, I would have said to get the pup into class. And yes, the OP was scared. The suggestions I listed would create a confident owner, a respectful pup, a owner/dog bond, an easier to train puppy, etc. which all feeds into a better behaved dog and a happier owner.

I don't think a harness works for every dog, but how do you know when the pup throws a fit as soon as you put it on? There are things in life that are uncomfortable for a pup, but they need it, it's for their own good, and they need to get over it. Nail clipping, nail dremelling, ear cleaning, temperature taking, leashes, collars, gentle leaders, bathes, getting toweled off -- all things that our pups have had to get used to, and perhaps threw a fit over, fought, or in other ways acted uncomfortable. The harness is not going to kill the puppy. If she finds that it doesn't work for the dog, then she stops using it. Obviously, if she put it on wrong, it's the wrong size, etc. then of course, the pup has reason to flip out.
    Gotcha, but then again all classes aren't created equal, as if she was going to puppy class, I would think the first thing would be training on how to put on a harness correctly? That's just me.

Good stuff for confidence building btw. All that can be started the day your new pup comes home. And work on it every day.

KAZ

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    I would agree with Labradorks. Any time you introduce something new you need to do it gracefully and positively. Dogs and pups will learn to love it. If you just put it on them chances are they will hate it. Take the Cone of Shame for example. Hemi, my boy has no issue with it other than getting around. However, there may be some time he has to go to the vet and maybe the vet just puts one on him and then imagine waking up in a crate with this cone you don't know on your head. Lots of dogs have issue with it. Same as a harness, or a backpack or a life vest or any type of clothing. If introduced improperly they will hate it. And yes Pups have temper tantrums just like a little kid I am sure you have seen lay on the floor kick their feet and cry or scream.

Sometimes just like little kids pups are tired and will do things to keep themselves awake, usually ornery things. This is where crate training really comes in handy, you just put them in there and they will sleep. When they wake up there is the sweet pup you know.

So like when I introduced the Cone to Hemi it took me an hour and a lot of treats, kisses and happy, happy voice and lots of praise over a week. Let him smell it and as soon as nose touches, click, treat. Do it again, and again, and again now its a game. Put on head and remove quickly, click treat, again, and again. Keep going until you you get it on, not all fastened. Shouldn't take long 5-10 minutes. Then treat and click and take it back off. Your done for the day. Tomorrow you put it on and take it off several times and start to buckle it, next day then walk a little around the house. Next day you walk around the yard. Don't forget lots of praise and happy yays!!

Best thing you can do when a tartrum happens especially on leash. Stand completely still as hard like a rock as you can and ignore it completely. No touching, no commenting, just let him throw a tantrum and once he learns it gets him no where well then they stop
    Hopefully they stop the tantrums. Hopefully you being the rock, doesn't get either one of you hurt. Or the owner more frustrated and scared. Sorry, I'd go to a collar and then try the harness when the pup is better behaved (obedience wise).

KAZ

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos