Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eye color

eye color

Chili is 11 months old now and I am curious to see if his eyes will get darker or are they pretty much set in their color now. His eyes were blue, then green/hazel, and now this yellowish amber color. at some angles, depending on light, his outer rim of eye looks really dark amber, but the center is yellow. whatchya think? still possibilities to get darker or are his eyes set now?

They are each different for the time it takes to "settle". Green/hazel or brown are correct colors.

Archie's did the same thing. Blue first, then green around 9 weeks, then slowly turned yellow. His are yellowish/amber now, but in certain lights I can still see a bit of the green (he's a year old now).

My cat's eyes turned from amber to green at 2 years old! Don't know if that's helpful at all though

(c) Chocolates:
    Shades ranging from light sedge to chocolate.
    A small white spot on chest permissible. Eyes
    to be light brown to clear yellow. Nose and eye
    rim pigmentation dark brown or liver coloured.
    “Fading” to pink in winter weather not serious.
    This is from the LRCC. Green is not mentionned but it seems yellow is allowed. Maybe AKC is different?

https://www.labradorretrieverclub.ca/...evised0609.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    This is from the LRCC. Green is not mentionned but it seems yellow is allowed. Maybe AKC is different?

https://www.labradorretrieverclub.ca/...evised0609.pdf
    Hmmmmm, I may very well be wrong, it won't be the first time, lol! I will have to look.

Chocolate eyes are a unique thing. The lighter they are as a pup, meaning blue or green....the lighter they will be as an adult, which will end up being a yellow or a burnt orange. Yellow is not a preferred color for show labs.

From the AKC standard:
    Eye color should be brown in black and yellow Labradors, and brown or hazel in chocolates.
    You won't see "green" or "blue" mentioned in any of the standards because it's a puppy eye color that will change as the dog matures. And that can take all the way up to 3 years.

Chili's eyes may deepen in color but they probably won't change too much overall.

A chocolate lab pup with dark grayish/blue eyes (almost charcoal-y) those end up turning darker as adults and end up being more correct according to the standard. It's only a fault though. So a nice dog with incorrect eyes can still be a winner!

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

LabLady101 (05-22-2014), Maxx&Emma (05-22-2014), POPTOP (05-26-2014), voodoo (05-22-2014)

Thanks Jen, I knew I read it somewhere!

Beautiful color eyes he's got, nice looking pup

It likely will depend upon his lines and maturity. Some lines reach a certain color and then don't change any more, while some still change a bit with maturity.

Quote Originally Posted by JenC View Post
    Chocolate eyes are a unique thing. The lighter they are as a pup, meaning blue or green....the lighter they will be as an adult, which will end up being a yellow or a burnt orange. Yellow is not a preferred color for show labs.

From the AKC standard:

You won't see "green" or "blue" mentioned in any of the standards because it's a puppy eye color that will change as the dog matures. And that can take all the way up to 3 years.

Chili's eyes may deepen in color but they probably won't change too much overall.

A chocolate lab pup with dark grayish/blue eyes (almost charcoal-y) those end up turning darker as adults and end up being more correct according to the standard. It's only a fault though. So a nice dog with incorrect eyes can still be a winner!
    Thanks, Jen! Knew you could explain it better, lol!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos