Thread: Vet Visit

Vet Visit

I just took Maverick in for his 12 week puppy shots. I talked to our vet about Nexgard and got some information. She said it worked just as good on fleas and was even more effective against deer ticks than Frontline. I read thru the package insert https://www.nexgardfordogs.com/Style%...NexGard_PI.pdf and it doesn't seem too bad. It seems like the clinical trial was short lived but we're going to give it a shot. If he doesn't like it or reacts poorly we can go back to Frontline. The two products and Heartgard are made by the same company, Merial.

Our vet also asked us about the Lymes vaccination. I told her that we were not interested at this point and she strongly urged me to reconsider. For those living in the Midwest, this is what she told me.

1) The flea "hot time" last year was in the fall
    2) She treated more cases last year alone than she did in the last 10 years combined
    3) She saw at least 1-2 dogs in per week with lameness, inflamed joints, and elevated fevers that she diagnosed as Lymes

Other than that, she taught Maverick how to jump onto the vet table platform (it is foot operated) and said he looks healthy. His stool was negative and he weighed 24.6 pounds. He got the next size up in Heartgard because, as she laughingly put it, he'll be over 25 pounds tomorrow.

Great checkup! Had to chuckle about Maverick jumping up on the table. Had to literally lift Archie on it yesterday; guess to many bad tooth surgery memories.

Yeah she said they train the puppies and it isn't a big deal to get up and ride as they grow but the older dogs never want to. Makes sense as Mia won't even look at the table.

What do the fleas have to do with Lyme? I don't get that shot for my dogs even though one of the vets told me I should because Emma is Lyme positive.
    "The dog was created specially for children, he is the God of frolic"
    -Henry Ward Beecher
    Hidden Content

If you don't want Lyme vaccine, don't get it. I live in the Capital of Lyme Disease... my county is #1 for incidence rate per capita, and the 4 counties immediately surrounding me are 2, 3, 6 and 8... in the entire country! Luna has never had a tick on her with Frontline and careful checking. I personally have had Lyme 5 separate times in my life. Lyme can be really serious, but the vaccine isn't that effective. Tick PREVENTION is the number one thing! Get a GOOD tick preventative that works well in your area. For me, that's Frontline Plus. Be religious about applying it monthly and read the directions.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I wouldn't bother with a Lyme vaccine, from what I have read from other's who have gotten it, many of their dogs still end up testing positive. And I think the vaccine makes any Lyme test results more difficult to read, and you want to be able to interpret them correctly to know how to treat

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaJo11 View Post
    What do the fleas have to do with Lyme? I don't get that shot for my dogs even though one of the vets told me I should because Emma is Lyme positive.
    It's the ticks, not fleas.

Senior Dog
    Great to hear about the excellent visit. I'd skip the lyme shot to myself. New Jersey has many cases of Lyme, but like Doubledip1, I'd rather be very diligent regarding ticks. Which I have been with my other dogs.

KAZ

Gabby's vet switched her to Heartgard last year after she was having problems with the larger dosage of Trifexis. Now she's on Nexgard, too, with great results. We've been back to our cabin in Pennsylvania twice (an area that's literally had her crawling with ticks in the past), and no ticks have been found! Plus, she thinks they're the greatest once-a-month treat that she's ever had. As long as it's working well, we're passing on the Lyme vaccine.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos