Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I hit my husband on the head.

It was terrible. We finally got to cleaning out the basement which is a huge deal for me. I was so grateful that my husband was helping with the things I couldn't move myself like the stained old king size mattress that had been down there for forever. We created a decent sized pile for the trash people to pick up next week. I had visions of a neat, organized basement just as soon as I rearranged the shelving units.

Then I asked him to help me trim tree branches. We were both tired and filthy. This turned out to be a bad idea. He held the branches down and I clipped them with the heaviest duty "titanium" clippers Home Depot sells. And on the last branch, I clipped, the clippers caught on the branch, everything fell, I barely had hold of the clippers and the tip hit my husband's head.

There was blood everywhere. Like in a horror movie. As in, now I know what the phrase "mask of blood" means. I said, "Let's go," ran inside, grabbed our brand spanking new insurance cards, paper towels, my purse and his wallet and ran for the car. He was most of the way there which confused me because there was so much blood in his eyes at this point. He was pressing the area with his hands.

I asked him fifty questions on the way. Finally, he said, "It doesn't even hurt." I literally started to cry. In a practical moment he said, "Don't do that." I think he was worried about my driving. Then he said, "Don't feel bad" and kept saying that for the rest of the night.

We got to the hospital that I knew like the back of my hand. I can't tell you how many times we've been there for my mother in law and, to a lesser extent, my husband. I have driven there in every weather condition, including a blizzard, at a whopping five miles per hour. I expertly maneuvered straight into a familiar parking spot. Opened the car doors, grabbed everything, walked my husband to the same emergency room door we had entered so many times and it wouldn't open.

They had moved the emergency room.

We walked around the hospital, finally got to the new door, went in and said to the registration nurse, "I think this explains itself." She went back to get an admission nurse. The admission nurse came out right away. My husband took the paper towel off his head, she poked through his hair and announced, "The bleeding has stopped." She told us to save the shirt for Halloween. During the entire process, I told maybe eight people that I had done this thing.

The cut turned out to be a half inch wide. No kidding. A lousy half inch. The emergency room doctor told us that she had once seen a guy who almost bled to death from a cut behind his ear that was even smaller.

Four hours later we are home. They were full up when we got there but the new facility is really beautiful and every room comes with a TV with remote control and super comfy chairs. Wonderful doctor as well. My husband's wound qualified for a quick gluing and we were done. Caught up on Modern Family in the meantime.

Everyone told me not to feel bad but I'm still horrified. He has a huge bump and will bruise. His first full day at his new job is on Monday. That'll look just great.

No pictures?! Seriously, really glad that it wasn't worse! If it's any consolation, I threw a magazine at my DH once (he'd been warned numerous times to quit shining the sun rays reflecting off of his watch into my eyes). So, I tossed a periodical his way and the corner of the missile hit the corner of his eye. He ended up with an enormous black eye for days...and...we both work at the same place. Our beloved co-workers still bring that 'shining' moment up.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to OHfemail For This Useful Post:

janedoe (07-13-2014)

This is the shirt. I wonder what Dexter would make of that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -byronshirtblood_071214-jpg  

5. The Following User Says Thank You to janedoe For This Useful Post:

krysten (07-13-2014)

Senior Dog
    I'd think Dexter say it was a good start. So sorry to hear about this accident. Glad it wasn't any worse than what it turned out to be. Head wounds bleed the most, even with the tiniest cut. Don't beat yourself up, as I know you still are. Accidents happen. And this can be used as an "ice breaker" at work for your husband. A few jokes at your expense seems a bit of good medicine to help heal that guilty feeling.

Hope your husband isn't that sore. Glad to hear about the clean basement and also the now pruned tree. Always good to get things off your "to do" list.

Wishing your husband lots of luck with his new start.

KAZ

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ZRabbits For This Useful Post:

janedoe (07-13-2014)

oh man- the blood would have freaked me out

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 4Thelove For This Useful Post:

janedoe (07-13-2014)

I can't stop laughing! I'm sorry he got hurt, but I can see you now telling everybody you butchered your husbands head! Hope he doesn't have a headache this morning.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 3muttsketeers For This Useful Post:

janedoe (07-13-2014)

House Broken
    oh no! you poor things! don't feel bad... accidents happen. my husband accidentally clubbed me in the head with a mag lite once... i saw stars and swear i got a concussion. we still laugh about it 12 years later

13. The Following User Says Thank You to krysten For This Useful Post:

janedoe (07-13-2014)

Don't feel bad, everyone has accidents. Glad he's OK. Scalp cuts are particularly bloody. Luckily, your husbands wound must have been amoung the many that look worse than it actually is.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bamps For This Useful Post:

janedoe (07-13-2014)

Head wounds create a lot of drama.

Hope the patient heals quickly!
    -- Ken, owned by:

Max - Black Lab mix gotcha 4/23/2012 Born 12/2011
    Scarlett - Yellow Lab gotcha 4/19/2013 Born 2008? 2007?
    Lizzy - Terrier mix gotcha 6/29/2014 Born 2006?
    Zeus - Papillon mix gotcha 1/30/2015 Born 3/26/2014

Avatar: Ziggy, my kitty who crossed the bridge a few years ago.
    He slept in the sink for years, silly boy.
    Hidden Content

17. The Following User Says Thank You to KenZ71 For This Useful Post:

janedoe (07-13-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by 3muttsketeers View Post
    I can't stop laughing! I'm sorry he got hurt, but I can see you now telling everybody you butchered your husbands head! Hope he doesn't have a headache this morning.
    I think it will be pretty funny in a few years but holy cow, I do not understand how people voluntarily hit their spouses! I've always been really practical about injuries and illnesses to the point that hospital staff think that I'm cold but in reality I'm figuring out the logistics and then I get upset later at home. When I was the one who did it though, we were really worried that I was just going to fall apart on the spot.

He's doing great. No bruising yet and the bump went down so hopefully the antiseptic she used got it. She said too that since it bled so much, it flushed out all of the debris so that's good.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos