Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Apoquel Users out There?

Corbin is doing really well on the dual vaccine and Atopica/Keto for his Atopy(Allergies) but I was wondering if anyone is using this new product? Are there are side effects? I am going to schedule an appt. with Corbins Derm vet soon I guess, but wanted to see your opinions/experience first!

Thanks
    Lauren

Is that the new med that became available a few months ago? If so, I know several people using it with great results but I just recently heard there was a serious shortage right now and it is very hard to find. It it is not the same thing, I apologize!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

laurenz (05-22-2014)

What is the vaccine Corbin is on? Is it for atopy?

Oban started back on his Atopica two weeks ago and is on Keto as well till his ears clear up. Then the plan is to use just the Atopica. We considered Apoquel because I had to freeze the Atopica last summer or he'd vomit it up. But between the Vet and I we decided why mess with something that works and freezing for one half hour is a small inconvenience.

As it turns out I have not been freezing it and all has been good that way till this morning. He only ate half his breakfast, brought it up with some remaining supper. But it's a mystery because he gets the Atopica at 10:00 pm and last summer brought it up within a half hour. So maybe this morning's upchuck is co-incidence. ??

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx&Emma View Post
    Is that the new med that became available a few months ago? If so, I know several people using it with great results but I just recently heard there was a serious shortage right now and it is very hard to find. It it is not the same thing, I apologize!
    Yes, it’s the new drug on the market. My sister works at my primary vet and she told me the same thing it’s on shortage She did say that the derm vets have it and are only distributing it to patients that are really bad allergy suffers.
    I heard its amazing stuff too, but since it’s fairly new I wonder how it will affect them long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    What is the vaccine Corbin is on? Is it for atopy?

Oban started back on his Atopica two weeks ago and is on Keto as well till his ears clear up. Then the plan is to use just the Atopica. We considered Apoquel because I had to freeze the Atopica last summer or he'd vomit it up. But between the Vet and I we decided why mess with something that works and freezing for one half hour is a small inconvenience.

As it turns out I have not been freezing it and all has been good that way till this morning. He only ate half his breakfast, brought it up with some remaining supper. But it's a mystery because he gets the Atopica at 10:00 pm and last summer brought it up within a half hour. So maybe this morning's upchuck is co-incidence. ??
    Yes, Corbin vaccine is for his allergies. It’s the immunotherapy vaccine. He has been on that for almost 2 ½ years. He gets a needle twice a week rotating between the vials A & B. I am not convinced that it’s made a difference but I guess the theory of exposing him to his allergens in small doses to build immunity makes sense.

Atopica/Keto has made a huge difference in Corbin. So I agree with why mess with something good. I just worry long term effects of Atopica are not good. He is currently on 75mg doses of Atopica w/ Keto 200mg twice a week. This is actually a lower than recommend dosage as he is about 90lbs. I recently noticed a bit more itching but no infections and no hair loss. I may need to bump him up to three doses a week soon. Grass pollen is really high and I suspect that is his archenemy.

When you started Oban back up did you doses 30 days straight like when you first started? I didn’t do that with Corbin. He wasn’t using during the winter months; my primary vet said I should have though.
    As for the vomiting, Corbin has only vomited once or twice on it. But I have always frozen it for thirty minutes prior to giving to him. I also give in evenings because it’s just easier with my schedule. He gets 2 hours after dinner. That stinks that Oban vomited it back up, that stuff isn’t cheap

I noticed with Corbin loose stools happen the day after I administer. If that’s only side effect then we are happy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by laurenz View Post
    Yes, it’s the new drug on the market. My sister works at my primary vet and she told me the same thing it’s on shortage She did say that the derm vets have it and are only distributing it to patients that are really bad allergy suffers.
    I heard its amazing stuff too, but since it’s fairly new I wonder how it will affect them long term.
    I definitely get the worry regarding long term effects with a new med. I guess you really have to weigh the pros and cons and to me quality of life is very important. I suffer from serious allergies, I could not, in good conscience allow my dog to suffer.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by laurenz View Post
    Yes, Corbin vaccine is for his allergies. It’s the immunotherapy vaccine. He has been on that for almost 2 ½ years. He gets a needle twice a week rotating between the vials A & B. I am not convinced that it’s made a difference but I guess the theory of exposing him to his allergens in small doses to build immunity makes sense.

Atopica/Keto has made a huge difference in Corbin. So I agree with why mess with something good. I just worry long term effects of Atopica are not good. He is currently on 75mg doses of Atopica w/ Keto 200mg twice a week. This is actually a lower than recommend dosage as he is about 90lbs. I recently noticed a bit more itching but no infections and no hair loss. I may need to bump him up to three doses a week soon. Grass pollen is really high and I suspect that is his archenemy.

When you started Oban back up did you doses 30 days straight like when you first started? I didn’t do that with Corbin. He wasn’t using during the winter months; my primary vet said I should have though.
    As for the vomiting, Corbin has only vomited once or twice on it. But I have always frozen it for thirty minutes prior to giving to him. I also give in evenings because it’s just easier with my schedule. He gets 2 hours after dinner. That stinks that Oban vomited it back up, that stuff isn’t cheap

I noticed with Corbin loose stools happen the day after I administer. If that’s only side effect then we are happy!!!
    Ok, so I'm still not clear. Corbin gets his Atopica and Keto by injection? Or are they allergy shots and he takes oral Atopica and Keto as well?

Oban's Atopica is a gel cap and the Keto is a pill - both oral. 100 mg Atopica and 200 mg Keto, I was disappointed we couldn't go lower on the Atopica. When he is on only Atopica it's 150 mg.

My Vet said I could drop him to every second day of the Atopica as soon as I see results. But I've read that dropping to every second day too soon is believed to be the major cause of ineffectiveness with this drug. So I'm scared to drop it too soon. It's bad enough to be giving him this stuff but to give it and have it not work because I gave it wrongly just seems worse to me.

We didn't lose too much to vomit. Here, Oban, eat it back up like you so often want to do. Yuck. Oban has mild loose stool the day after I give Atopica too. A mere TBSP of pumpkin with his supper helps him. I give the Atopica and Keto at 10:00 pm so his stomach is good and empty. He goes out for his pre beddy-byes pee then comes in and gets a dollop of cheese whiz with his meds in. Next month he'll wonder why he only gets the cheese whiz every second day and then every third day.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx&Emma View Post
    I definitely get the worry regarding long term effects with a new med. I guess you really have to weigh the pros and cons and to me quality of life is very important. I suffer from serious allergies, I could not, in good conscience allow my dog to suffer.
    It's tough to balance quality with possible reduced quantity when there is no crystal ball. I don't have allergies but I have some strong meds for migraines. The stuff is addictive and I try not to use it but sometimes I just have to. I can really relate to my poor dog vomitting, lots of times I wonder did I just waste all that codeine and barbituate or did enough stay in to addict me.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    Ok, so I'm still not clear. Corbin gets his Atopica and Keto by injection? Or are they allergy shots and he takes oral Atopica and Keto as well? Oban's Atopica is a gel cap and the Keto is a pill - both oral. 100 mg Atopica and 200 mg Keto, I was disappointed we couldn't go lower on the Atopica. When he is on only Atopica it's 150 mg. My Vet said I could drop him to every second day of the Atopica as soon as I see results. But I've read that dropping to every second day too soon is believed to be the major cause of ineffectiveness with this drug. So I'm scared to drop it too soon. It's bad enough to be giving him this stuff but to give it and have it not work because I gave it wrongly just seems worse to me. We didn't lose too much to vomit. Here, Oban, eat it back up like you so often want to do. Yuck. Oban has mild loose stool the day after I give Atopica too. A mere TBSP of pumpkin with his supper helps him. I give the Atopica and Keto at 10:00 pm so his stomach is good and empty. He goes out for his pre beddy-byes pee then comes in and gets a dollop of cheese whiz with his meds in. Next month he'll wonder why he only gets the cheese whiz every second day and then every third day.
    No.. Lol! He gets both the shots and oral atopica and keto.

It's a wonderful drug and I had been using it for my almost 13 year old Libby, but it is in very short supply and good luck getting it. I heard it could be a year before it's readily available again. In the meantime, I've put Libby on Zyrtec and while it's not as good as the other stuff, it does seem to help her a bit.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos