Persimmon trees?

Nine years ago we planted a persimmon tree at my mother in law's request. It was a stick for forever and now has completely leafed out and has a significant trunk.

We live in Massachusetts. Is this tree even viable? Will we see fruit from it or is it just a tree? Does anyone have experience with persimmons?

I have no idea what to do with a persimmon. I'm not sure I have ever had one. ???

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Macy For This Useful Post:

janedoe (07-15-2014)

I don't know much about persimmon trees, just the thought of a persimmon makes me miss my mother though, she made a mean persimmon cookie or two in her day.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bamps For This Useful Post:

janedoe (07-15-2014)

My neighbor here in Portland has a couple of healthy fruit-bearing persimmon trees. He gives me some each year and I make a tart with them. I have no idea what their ideal climate is supposed to be.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LuckyLuna For This Useful Post:

janedoe (07-15-2014)

Senior Dog
    They grow wild around here....ummmm.....love me some park-grown persimmons.....

Baffle had a fondness for them....I had to keep him away from under the trees or he'd have gorged himself (perhaps the fruit wouldn't have hurt him but those huge seeds would have). He knew the location of every single persimmon tree on every walk we took.

I don't know the ideal climate...I'd be Googling to find out. If yours grows, watch to make sure your dogs don't end up eating more than they should.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

janedoe (07-15-2014)

We have one in our front yard and my that is the toughest tree we own, its been here well over 10 years and never fails to produce so much fruit. We actually aren't quite sure what to do with them but it must be a delicacy because once they're ripe we have people knocking on our door to have some. We live in the valley in northern california so it gets really hot here, yesterday was 109 and cold in the winter. The fruit is usually ripe by mid-late fall.
    Katie and Kain
    Hidden Content

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kain's Mommy For This Useful Post:

janedoe (07-15-2014)

I saw them a fair amount in NC. Someone I worked with there used to make persimmon jam but I don't remember her ever bringing any for us to taste.
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

13. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

janedoe (07-15-2014)

Senior Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain's Mommy View Post
    We have one in our front yard and my that is the toughest tree we own, its been here well over 10 years and never fails to produce so much fruit. We actually aren't quite sure what to do with them but it must be a delicacy because once they're ripe we have people knocking on our door to have some. We live in the valley in northern california so it gets really hot here, yesterday was 109 and cold in the winter. The fruit is usually ripe by mid-late fall.
    Haven't you ever tried them? They are really yummy. You don't want to harvest off the ground because there's a specific beetle whose larva burrows into them really quickly (or maybe it's the beetle that moves in and lays an egg really quickly...I forget.....anyway, you'll see a little black head sticking out of a tiny hole if there's one in there. Off the tree they're fine. (I'm talking about the ones that are about 1" in size...not the larger....Chinese, I think....ones that you find in grocery stores.

I'd let Baff graze for a short while as I scanned the branches for some of my own. I always counted myself lucky if I got to the trees before anyone else in the morning....I'm not the only early morning walker.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

janedoe (07-15-2014)

House Broken
    Hey Lisa- Check out your local lowes. Ours has discounted fruit trees 75%. So they are $5. each.

Nothing to do with your question but I know you were planting fruit trees and seem to remember you wanting more? We bought 8 more trees, they are in perfect shape, not half dead like clearance is usually.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Lauranj For This Useful Post:

janedoe (07-16-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Lauranj View Post
    Hey Lisa- Check out your local lowes. Ours has discounted fruit trees 75%. So they are $5. each.

Nothing to do with your question but I know you were planting fruit trees and seem to remember you wanting more? We bought 8 more trees, they are in perfect shape, not half dead like clearance is usually.
    Thank you! I will definitely check that out. I'm also looking for cheap blackberry bushes to plant as a property boundary.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos