Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Proper protocol for using another trainer?

While Linus is great at all of his exercises, his heeling in the ring is terrible. My trainer doesn't focus much on heeling and while in training he does OK anyway. I want to try some new methods not only for heeling but creating overall excitement in Linus. My trainer is great at teaching the fundamentals, her style works well for my dogs, she is reasonably priced, and she is nearby. However, I need some new options and one-on-one attention for the heeling. I have taken private lessons with her, but I don't find them any different than the group classes.

I don't plan on leaving her, but there is a great trainer nearby who also works with retrievers (not necessarily Labs, but she is familiar with the drive) in field and obedience and she trains for competition only. There's no way I could make her classes after work due to time, distance, and traffic, but she has about six weekend openings until the end of the year available for private lessons, and I have been accepted as a student.

On one hand, as long as I haven't left her, I feel like I don't need to say anything. On the other hand, I don't want her to feel like I am seeing another trainer behind her back. I do think she would be understanding. I go to another trainer's rally drop-ins from time-to-time and she didn't seem to care. I mentioned it in passing once. This is new to me, so I'm not sure exactly how to handle it.

Any advice?

You can train with multiple people and you don't owe anyone an explanation.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JenC For This Useful Post:

Bamps (07-15-2014), barry581 (07-17-2014), emma_Dad (07-15-2014)

+1 to what JenC said. It's your dog and money, don't owe anyone an explanation.

X3 👍👍👍

Thanks, guys!

Do what you and your pup needs. I've done this with Archie. We use a trainer who I feel is excellent but needed more input on GSDs so I used another trainer who owns and trains them. Between the two we are making progress.

Senior Dog
    I wouldn't worry about hurt anyone's feelings regard YOUR dog and training. If you are not getting what you need from the current trainer, I'd be looking for another without any qualms.

Your Dog, Your Rules.

KAZ

Quote Originally Posted by ZRabbits View Post
    I wouldn't worry about hurt anyone's feelings regard YOUR dog and training. If you are not getting what you need from the current trainer, I'd be looking for another without any qualms.

Your Dog, Your Rules.

KAZ
    I'm not worried about hurting her feelings. I just want to be transparent and act in an appropriate manner.

House Broken
    I've used multiple trainers at the same time when I was doing advanced obedience competitions. One was group, one was individual and one(my favorite) was a judge who was very strict and made sure I didn't make any stupid handling mistakes. It is completely fine to use multiple trainers. You aren't being disloyal by using more than one trainer.

I personally bring in a trainer to our area from Spokane once a year for a workshop. Our kennel club has brought her and others in over the years as well, and to be honest, some of the "new wave" trainers just don't give me what I need, whereas this gal attends a lot of the big name training workshops, has multiple breeds, incl Goldens, and does some field work... her style works well for me. I've never seen her dogs lag in the ring, and they are always upbeat/happy. Since working w/ her, I've been able to do a lot better job w/ motivation and focus. Let me know if you are interested as I'll have both private lessons and a "puppy FUNdamentals" (puppies of all ages) workshop in early Aug at my place in Yakima. I forget now where you said you lived (Seattle?), but I do have one of my pup owners coming in from the west side as well. I think variety is very good for the diet, as well as dog training. If one thing isn't working, try another.... Anne

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos