Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy

Not fitting in with his smaller siblings

Hello, I have a 2-year old yellow lab (Bubba) we adopted from a shelter 10 days ago. We brought him into a home with a small Pomeranian and 2 cats. Bubba is rough with the smaller animals. He's not trying to hurt them, and I know he's trying to play, but it's too rough, and I'm worried he's going to hurt one of the little ones. My pomeranian is sick of it, and I can tell he's timid around Bubba. The cats don't even give Bubba a chance. They hiss just when he gets too close. By the way, Bubba has heartworms, and until his treatment is done, I can't allow him to exercise as much as he needs to, so I know he's got a lot of pent up energy. Given these details, I'm interested in any tips you may all have to help the transition go smoother.

Keep him on leash so you can control his interactions with the other animals.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to piccadilly For This Useful Post:

barry581 (07-17-2014), Charlotte K. (07-16-2014)

Senior Dog
    Second what piccadilly suggested.

KAZ

Third. Also, give it more time. As time passes they will all get to know eachother better. Also, once he can exercise, he will be much more manageable in the house.
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

Agree with giving them all more time. Keep a leash on the Lab and use crates and baby gates to help keep them separated and to give the Pom a break. Give the Lab a "time out" behind the gate or in the crate when he is getting too rough, and he will eventually learn that being too rough ends play-time.

And don't underestimate the power of mental exercise as an energy release - practice basic obedience and give him frozen Kongs and puzzle toys while in the crate to help occupy him.
    ~Laura~
    SHR BlackFoot's Salty Dog BN RE OA NAJ NF - "Ace" the Yellow Lab

RIP
    Jake CGC TDI CL2S the Black Lab (8/28/06"Gotcha day"-4/4/16)
    Tex HSAs NAJ NF CL4 the ACD (12/25/07-2/22/16)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jake&Tex For This Useful Post:

Charlotte K. (07-16-2014)

First of all thank you for rescuing Bubba. You rescued him11 days ago you are in what is considered the “honeymoon” stage; everything is still new for him and the others as well. During this time he needs to learn what his “boundaries” are and what he can do and can’t do. With Bubba that’sgoing to be a little more difficult with the heartworm treatment and keeping him in a low keyed state of mind without exercise. Keeping him on a leash close to you helps you make quick corrections when he is doing something that you don’twant him doing. Does he have a crate/X pen to go to when you are not there or can’t supervise him? A crate / X pen is a good place for him to go when he (and everyone else) needs a break as well, it should be his “happy place” where he feels safe and secure, not a place where he relates being placed in a time out for doing something wrong.
    There are different ways to get him tired other than him running around. Mental stimulation is one. Using a Kong stuffed with things like peanut butter, dog cookies, or whatever he might like. Nose work, have him use his nose to find a treat (cookie or favorite toy) you placed somewhere. Make it easy at first so he feels like he accomplishing something.
    Remember, the whole family should be involved and on the same page when it comes to his training. That way he doesn’t get confused when two people tell him to do the same thing in two different ways.
    At the Bridge
    Pinks - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 12/30/10 - 5/12/23
    Maddie - Chessie - 3/6/10 - 6/25/22
    Purps (Pinks sister) - Black Lab/mix -(Back with us 1/1/18) 12/30/10 - 4/7/21
    Gracie - Yellow Lab - 10/23/05 - 9/6/18
    Nozomi (Zoe) - BC/Lab - Got ya 9/5/09 - 3/19/15
    Abbey - Yellow Lab - Got ya - 5/8/09 - 4/22/11
    Cheanna - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 5/99 - 9/21/10
    Buddy (Bubba) - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 11/2/02 - 3/28/10
    Amber - Yellow Lab/Dobi - Got ya 8/1989 - 5/15/01

Great suggestions given. Another benefit to crating is that the Pom and the cats can safely "investigate" the new arrival. As you pup takes a nap in the crate, don't be surprised if the cats sneak up to investigate.

10 days is really not much time. It can take many weeks and often months for dogs to really acclimate to a new environment and for animals to figure out their relationship.

As I mentioned in your post in the other board, you need to make sure all interactions are closely supervised and step in. You also need to ensure cats have a safe dog-free zone to get to (use baby gates and such).

Your scenario is compounded by the fact you have an active young lab you cannot exercise due to health reasons. THis is going to make things take much longer as he has so much energy he cannot release.

Have you worked on exercising his brain? training, games, etc.?

House Broken
    As others have said, keep him leashed, make sure the poms and cats have a Bubba free zone. Don't let Bubba get too rough,. it is your house, your rules so decide what your rules are and stick to them. I do not allow rough playing, at all, in the house. If play starts becoming too rough then I step in and block the offender until they settle.

Puppy
    Thanks all. Great tips. The Kong toys seem to be a popular suggestion.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos