Thread: Mosquitoes

Puppy

Mosquitoes

Just wondering what everybody does to keep the mosquitoes off the fur kids. They seem to bother Belle, black, and Jaq, chocolate, more than Gus, yellow. I live in Iowa and we have gotten a lot of rain this summer. The mosquitoes are horrible!! You walk out the door and are attacked. We bought a fogger, but living on an acreage makes it very hard to kill all the buggers. I feel really bad for them because they will be covered in them. Gus had bilateral arthroscopy for FMCP and has to be leash walked every time he has to go out and he loves to find the spot where they are really bad. We make sure we give them their heartworm every month. Any thoughts or ideas??

Best Friend Retriever Polly Pipkin's Avatar
    You can use lemons. My friend gave me some she mixed up, lemon, water and it may have rosemary in it which works well for us and the dogs. Here is a link to a page: Ottawa Valley Dog Whisperer : Lemon A Safe, Natural Mosquito Repellent for Dogs

I used to be able to buy a similar product with lemons and herbs in that was made for horses, but worked well on the dog also. I bought it at the vet, but they don't carry it anymore. I believe it came from the States, so you may be lucky.

Before our board crashed, we had a recipe for all natural mosquito repellent - hopefully we get it again!
    Hidden Content Katy & Polly

Hidden Content

Duchess Jan. 31, 2000 - Dec. 18, 2011, Always in our hearts

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Polly Pipkin For This Useful Post:

OHfemail (07-16-2014)

Farnam - Your partner in horse care

I use this roll on by Farnam on both of us. I like that I can roll it down his nose, around his eyes, behind his ears and not risk it going where I don't want or getting on my hands. Works pretty well too. I get it a tack shop. I carry it with me on buggy walks and reapply after swimming or running through tall, wet grass if I think we need to.

House Broken
    The regular, unscented Skin So Soft (Avon) helps a lot. I'm in FL, and they are worse than ever this year.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos