Puppy

Potty Training Help

Hello All!
    I am a proud mother of a 13 week old black lab named Kosar! I love him so much! He's actually pretty smart and he listens well, but we have have one little issue we cannot overcome, house training. We are currently crate training him and he seems to be pretty comfortable in there. We take him out when he wakes up, after he eats, and every hr when he's awake, yet we still catch him peeing inside. He will also even pee in his crate when we just leave him in there for no longer than 2 hrs while we step out of the house. I'm just wondering if this is normal? What approaches did some of you take when house training your puppy? Any tips on teaching him how to tell me when he needs to go out? I feel like my other dogs caught on earlier than 13 weeks but it has been awhile since they have been puppies and Kosar is my first lab.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -2014-06-11-19-03-28-jpg  

When I was home, and they were awake, I took them out at least every 20 minutes, more if they were super active, it was warm, drinking a lot, etc. I also took them out after waking, eating, playing, or if there was a lull in activity. My pups were never away from me. Either baby-gated in a room or tethered to me. For my home's design, baby-gates were perfect. If I knew I was leaving, I would pick up the water about an hour before-hand. The crate should only be large enough to stand and turn around in and I would pick up all bedding as well. Do you have children? It seems to be a common trend that many who have a hard time with potty training have kids, and I think that adds to distractions. So, if you do, keep that in mind as well. I think you just have to figure out how to really plan your days and multi-task. Don't ever leave the puppy in the hands of the kids -- they just don't have the skills yet to be able to remember to take the pup out and when. Nor do boyfriends/husbands who are watching television, I have found! (That's sort-of tongue-in-cheek, but it does happen!).

A 13 week old *should* be able to hold it for longer than 2 hours. Are you leaving water in the crate with him?

What are you cleaning his messes with? Lysol and rug cleaners will remove the smell of urine to OUR noses, but a dog will still be able to smell it and consider it an OK spot to pee in again. It takes an enzymatic cleaner, such as Nature's Miracle, to totally kill the smell where the dog's nose is concerned.
    ~Laura~
    SHR BlackFoot's Salty Dog BN RE OA NAJ NF - "Ace" the Yellow Lab

RIP
    Jake CGC TDI CL2S the Black Lab (8/28/06"Gotcha day"-4/4/16)
    Tex HSAs NAJ NF CL4 the ACD (12/25/07-2/22/16)

Hello and Welcome!

Not great on puppy advice, we home the seniors. They often come from situations where when they needed to go, they'd go. So we did house training 101. Outside very frequently, high praise when done outside. If I caught them in the middle of peeing inside, I should quickly get them out. When they finished, super praise. I've heard that many puppy owners also use treats as a reward. Go ahead, hold a pee party when there is success.

Kosar is so cute. Keep the pictures coming.

Puppy
    Oh my goodness! 20 minutes! I can definitely try that! He's very active and we live in the desert so drinking a lot is necessary. I don't have kids but I do have 2 other dogs. As for boyfriends... I agree! Thank you for your tips!

Puppy
    I didn't think so! We do leave a little water, I feel guilty not leaving some. Should I not being leaving any? And I'm currently using an enzymatic cleaner that I bought from the pet store.

Puppy
    We praise him when he goes outside, but I will definitely try the treats idea. And thank you!

I never limited water until about an hour before bed, after making sure puppy had a good drink. Especially in the heat of the desert.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Real Retriever Moby and Barley's Mom's Avatar
    Hi!
    I am no expert as I am still figuring it out with my 9 week old Barley! I appreciate the difficulty! We have not even had him two weeks - and last night - he actually was able to go through most of the night. (I got him up at 3:30 and took him out but that was the only time. (I doubt that will be the case tonight.) I had been taking him out every 2-3 hours or so at night (yes, I am still crazy tired) and since I can work from home in the summer, I can really keep my eye on him. I am trying to learn what he looks like when he needs to go. He spends a lot of time with me outside - but if he is inside - I take him to go potty every 30 minutes or so if he is awake- or more if he is playing. We do not crate him in a locked crate as he has a dog run outside with our older lab. (And my husband refuses to get on board with crate training since we have the dog run and our older dog to keep him company.) I take the water away around 7:30. He does have a crate and I put him in there at night -and for transport - but today was his first vet visit since we got him - and he peed in his crate. Currently washing the pad as I write! Good luck with your super adorable puppy!
    -barley-2-jpg

House Broken
    First your pup is adorable..congratulations!!!
    I am the Potty Whisperer I stink @ most things but get an A+ in Potty training
    Moses is a hand full..got Moses @ 9 weeks old..
    Moses NEVER had an accident in the house.
    I always try to get a new pup Thursday or Friday ..so I have 3 to 4 days to work with them

Like the others said I was in and out with Moses a lot the first couple of days ( probably 100 times each day)
    Also when I took him out I carried him out
    He NEVER TOUCHED the ground till we got outside
    I would leave the house for 30 min with Moses in the cage..i only gave him less them a quarter of the cage.
    Then come back them I carried him out
    Would then try to leave for an hour..then carry him out
    The next day I would give him more room..extend to 3 hours then CARRY him out\
    Moses slept with me from day one..
    If I was up in the middle of the night I would carry him out again not letting him touch the ground till he was outside
    After he ate or had a drink or we played. Carried him out.
    When Moses would pee or poop ..I clapped and prasied the hell out of him.
    My pup before Moses was trained in 24 hours reason why it took so long I did not get a cage till the second day

Good luck

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimbo B For This Useful Post:

MikeLynn (07-19-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos