Real Retriever Moby and Barley's Mom's Avatar

Help! How do I keep my puppy out of my garden??

Barley has lots of places on our property in Napa to roam. Almost 2 fenced acres with only a fraction planted. He isn't too terrible but he definitely likes to roam in the soft dirt, chew the plants and today managed to bite through a drip line all while I was watching him. My older dog knows where he may be but a small " no" deters him. Not so the puppy. I managed to keep him out of one small succulent area by spraying him in the face with water but don't know if I should do that with the larger area as well. He may begin to think it is a fun game. (Like the fun "let's chase Barley out of the garden game." Any suggestions?

Thanks!

It's like most things with a pup, you need to set the boundaries as to what is acceptable. Teaching "leave it" may be the best for this issue. You may have to do it about 6000 times, but sooner or later it will sink in. With maybe one exception, every Lab I've had equated the garden hose with "too much fun"!

Depends on how large your garden is. I am currently working on the back yard in sections, not wanting the dogs to get into that section. Bought green vinyl covered wire fencing, 3' tall, and some metal stakes; all very temporary. Home Depot carries it and it's fairly inexpensive. It's easy to put up and easily movable and removable when no longer wanted.

Gotta love puppy antics.

Fence works for me. With the first two the fence only had to be doggy eye level which was easy for me to step over. And, with the first two, the second year I didn't even need to put it up. Not so with Oban who is now 6 and the fence is still so high I have to clamber over, risking my neck when my hands are full of gardening needs. Still, I can't be bothered training him to stay OUT! Clambering seems easier.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

barry581 (07-17-2014)

I put up a fence to keep my veggie thieves out!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos