5k Training Progress

Well, I will be finishing up week 5 out of 8 tomorrow in my couch to 5k training (using the app "5k Runner").

The goals I set for myself at the beginning were:
    1) I want to lose 20 pounds before the race (30 lbs before Halloween) and 2) I want to finish the race, without any walking, in less than 30 minutes.

As for goal number 1...I'm almost halfway there!!! Roughly nine pounds gone so far!!
    I'm also using the MyFitnessPal calorie counter app in addition to the running and it's been a big help in the weight loss portion of my goals.

Then for goal number 2...we'll see but so far it looks good. Up through this week, the running program has included a lot of walking (2-4 walk breaks of 2-5 minutes each). Still, I've been using MapMyFitness to track my distances and pace (besides, it links to the calorie counter app) and even with the five minute warmup walks and the walk breaks, I'm averaging around 10 minutes per mile. If I can continue to maintain my pace while adding distance, I figure I should have no problem beating 30 minutes come September.

I also started a full upper body strength training regimen last week so my fitness revolution is now in full swing!! (I'm waiting until after the race before I add leg workouts to my runs)

My my wife is still training with me. However, we're no longer on the same workouts because she needed to do a few of them twice before moving on.

Wish me luck as I continue my training!!
    Tomorrow is the first time I get only one walk break (between two 8 minute runs). Next week the first two workouts are two 10 minute runs and Saturday's run will be 15 and then 5 minutes. Hope I'm ready!!
    Shiloh 12/24/12
    Hidden Content

Ooh! Great work! I started Couch to 5K a couple of years ago but hurt a knee in a Segway mishap and never started up again. I like that program! It sounds like you're doing a great job and it probably helps both of you that you're doing it with someone else! Keep up the strong work!
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

Carlos (07-18-2014)

That is great progress, congratulations! Best of luck as you continue your journey!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

Carlos (07-18-2014)

Real Retriever
    Great job!! I loved using My Fitness Pal when I was trying to lose weight. It was a great tool to use & super easy. Keep up the great work!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruger's Mom For This Useful Post:

Carlos (07-18-2014)

Congratulations! Great progress and you are going to go all the way.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Carlos (07-19-2014)

Good luck! I participated in a 5K last fall and my only goal was not to be last. I wasn't. Thank goodness for the trio of older, chubby ladies running because I beat them.

I will look at the app you are using. Sounds like a useful one.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Macy For This Useful Post:

Carlos (07-20-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos