Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Puppy

Excessive shedding

My thirteen year old lab with a usual beautiful black thick coat has begun shedding in chunks over the last 2 weeks, There are big chances of hair puffed up on her body and if I pull on them they come right out. The fulminator works but within a day or two her coat puffs back up and chunks begin falling out again. She is on a a high quality dog food, and is given Omega 3 fish oil on a regular basis basis. She seems fine both mentally and otherwise physically. She is playful, happy and has a great appetite. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

When was the last time she had a senior panel run? A good, thorough exam and blood draw would be my first step.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Puppy
    She had her teeth cleaned a few months ago with a full geriatric work up before hand. The vet said her Liver enzymes were slightly elevated but not to worry about it.

Puppy
    She had her teeth cleaned a few months ago with a full geriatric work up before hand. The vet said her Liver enzymes were slightly elevated but not to worry about it.
    How did you get the picture of you dog to show up in your profile/posts? He is beautiful...

Quote Originally Posted by Candice View Post
    How did you get the picture of you dog to show up in your profile/posts? He is beautiful...

Thank you, I love my sweet boy with all I have. I am pretty sure you will need to get your post count up to be able to edit your profile.

Not all vets do a complete senior panel for a procedure. I do blood panels on my dogs every 6 months from age 7 on, things can change so quickly. If it was my dog I would have another, (or 1st), senior panel done, just to be safe. Sudden shedding, like you are describing, is not normal and catching anything that may be wrong is so important. You have to do what you feel is best, this is where I would start. I would not listen to a vet that said this was not necessary either, JMHO.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

I have seen puppies shed like that before, just try brushing once a day. It could be a late winter coat shedding.
    Hidden Content
    Herding Hanson the Handsome~born 11/28/2018
    Hammer Head Shark~forever in my heart 1/13/2011-4/30/2018
    Hidden Content

Puppy
    Thanks very much. I will take her for blood work on Monday. I love her soooooooo much...

Of course you do, you woud not have found this place any other way! Hang in there and keep us posted.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Definitely have her blood tested + thyroid hormones level. That might be nothing, just excessive shedding due to weather but it's worth checking.
    Fingers crossed that's nothing serious

Same suggestions as above. Brush daily. Is the fur coming out the under coat? Does her fur seem excessively dry?

We home seniors and a full senior blood panel is very important. Hope all goes well. Please keep us updated.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos