Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Real Retriever Moby and Barley's Mom's Avatar

Our new puppy is a digger - Oh my!

Barley loves to dig. We have a very large mostly uncultivated yard - so I am ok with him digging in certain places - but not our garden! (Which is better for digging because it is so nice and soft and cozy to dig.

What I am mainly concerned about is the fact that when we are gone the new 9 week old puppy and the 12 1/2 year old puppy stayed in a large fenced in dog run. However - I worry that if he digs - he can get out.

Should I train him that digging is BAD or should I try to get him to dig only in approved areas? (And would that even be possible?)

Thanks!

I would be very worried about leaving a digger out in a pen when I am away from the house.

digging is natural so it will be hard to totally train it. You should absolutely interrupt digging and bring them to where they can dig (the safe spot). but you need to supervise and catch them in the act all the time. And weather you go this route or just "no digging at all" (which would just be interrupt digging and redirect to a safe activity) there is ALWAYS the possibility that the dog digs out of the pen one day.

There is a way to dig-proof a pen but either digging in and putting fence/chicken wire or rocks. But it would be a big job. Or you can use a different ground for the pen.

also totally not fair to your older dog to be penned with a puppy all day. he deserves a quiet safe place of him own. puppies can be super super annoying especially to an older dog. plus the puppy should learn to be "alone" in a crate not always attached to the older dog as part of growing and becoming his own independant happy well rounded dog.

in fact you even posted to say the older dog seems exasperated with the puppy at times and looking for tips on the front - tip #1 never leave them together un-supervised. you need to be there to supervise interactions and step in when needed to redirect the puppy
    Last edited by Tanya; 07-19-2014 at 04:07 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

Georgie (07-20-2014)

Personally would not leave a 9 week old puppy and an adult dog unsupervised together. What if the pup really gets under the other dog's skin and the other dog were to bite? Or, if they get to playing too rough? Who will be there to ensure they are safe and call for a time-out if things got too crazy or begin to get heated. Plus, I'd feel bad for my older dog, not having the option to get away from the little bugger. So not fair to the senior. Also, be sure to not leave collars on them as teeth and jaws get stuck and the collar wearer can suffocate. It's not as uncommon as you might think. If you must leave them out, can you put the puppy in a crate within the kennel? Perhaps with an x-pen within the kennel? That way they are together, but they are separated, for safety's sake.

Regarding the digging, I would personally not allow it. I mean, dogs dig, but it can be a really bad habit and yes, they can at best, be destructive and at worst, escape. You'll need to create a dig-free floor in your kennel. Cement or heavy duty horse stall mats work well and can be cleaned. I would think you'd have to make sure that the cement or mat extends out past the fencing a little bit. I'm sure someone more experienced with outside kennel runs can be of more help than me.

Supervise and correct/redirect for digging. I absolutely agree that a 9wk old puppy should not be left alone for any significant period with an adult dog.

+1 the the puppy shouldn't be left outside unsupervised for any period of time espically with the your senior. I would crate the puppy inside, so he can't get into trouble.

Completely agree, a 9 week old puppy should not be left with a senior unsupervised. You are asking for serious trouble leaving this baby outside, in a pen. I am stunned that any reputable breeder would be ok with this arrangement, it is just not safe. Puppy needs to be crated when you are not at home.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Real Retriever Moby and Barley's Mom's Avatar
    Thank you everyone for your responses. My question was predominately about the digging - not the wisdom of leaving him in a dog run all day with an older dog. He is never to be left in a dog run, crate, etc. all day - nor did I suggest this. My husband works from home and during the summer I do as well. We are very conscious of the fact that the older dog should not be forced to interact all day with the puppy. We have a mealtime - then potty routine that works very well with the older dog - and are training the new dog in the same manner. There will be a few hours at a time in which they will be out in the run. The dog run is very large and was built by our friend who has two labs and whose father was a vet and who kept his own dogs in a similar manner. We are in the country vineyards of Napa so there are lots of fun things for the puppy to see (and of course, to get into). Our dog has never been able to escape - and it would be pretty challenging to dig one's way out of the the dog run - but nothing is impossible. I do think that digging is natural dog behavior - and difficulty to curb if it is an innate part of the puppy's natural drive. My question mainly revolves around how to redirect to a safe activity or to completely curb the digging. Thank you.

you come to an online board and ask a question you are going to get all kinds of answers. You can't require people limit their two cents.

I did respond to the digging question. you can also use the search function for more on digging but generally it requires supervision and interrupt/redirect to an appropriate activity. either a different game (play with them) or to an appropriate digging spot (whatever you personally decide is best). But during the training phase he must be supervised so he doesn't have the chance to fail. And yes this means many many many repetitions of the interrupt and redirect.

At that age I wouldn't leave the puppy with the adult for even 20 minutes without direct supervision, ESPECIALLY given your other question about how to make the two of them friends as the older dog was showing signs of being overwhelmed by the puppy. Doesn't matter if the pen is an acre big, he still can't "get away" from the puppy.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanya For This Useful Post:

Georgie (07-20-2014)

chili digs on occasion. i always cover up his dug holes with something he cant dig thru like a rubber mat or his dog house. since covering up his holes, he recently hasnt dug any new ones....knock on wood.
    Amateur pet owner
    Hidden Content
    Chili born 7/21/2013

Senior Dog
    Although you say your question is about your puppy digging and not about the wisdom of leaving it in a dog run, THIS is the issue and directly relates to the solution.

Puppies will dig especially when left alone and when bored. They need human interaction, lots of playtime and stimulation and whilst doing this you are covertly redirecting the behavior.

Tanya's response hits the mark, as usual!!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos