Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Old, Cranky, and Tired of Irresponsible Dog Owners

We take Lola to a (city approved) off leash dog beach almost every weekend. We normally run into a great group of dogs and responsible dog owners.

The extreme exception was on Memorial Day weekend, when I was bit on the arm by a German Shepherd mix (the owners were very responsible, paid for my urgent care, are working with a trainer, and had to go through a quarantine).

Since getting bit, I've been very vocal with people if their dog is not acting appropriately or seems to be causing problems with other dogs on the beach.

Today, Lola was having a blast running around and chasing a bumper in the waves with a Black Lab mix. A family with a Border Collie mix showed up and the dog proceeded to bark, chase, and get the hackles up of every dog it encountered. I turned around for one second and Border Collie had nipped at Black Lab mix that Lola had been playing with. The Black Lab yelped and limped for a second, then seemed to be fine.

The people who owned the Border Collie seem concerned and asked the owner if the Black Lab mix was ok. The beach isn't that big, but the people who owned the Border Collie said that they would go to a different area of the beach. I suggested to them that they leave and proceeded to tell them that their dog didn't seem to get a long with any of the other dogs on the beach. They were appalled that I would talk to them that way. The kind of grumbled, and left. Good!

I'm not trying to be a PIA, but if you know your dog doesn't get along with other dogs, train them or stay home. Simple as that. There seems to be a growing group of people who go through life with no self awareness.

Signed,

Old, Cranky and Tired...but not afraid to tell people how I really feel.
    Hidden Content

Just another day at the beach.....

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SCDoug For This Useful Post:

doubledip1 (07-22-2014), Kain's Mommy (07-21-2014), kelsyg (07-21-2014), MikeLynn (07-20-2014)

I 100% agree with you! If your dog doesn't do well with other dogs. Don't bring him or take him when there aren't going to be other dogs in the area. I've done the same thing here when we go swimming at the lake or are at the park. No problem telling someone, they should leave. You always have to be watching out for our furbabies!

Unfortunately it seems to be my generation that has produce these people with no self awareness or common sense.

BTW: super jealous you have access to a dog friendly beach!

You did the right thing. Sounded like an accident waiting to happen. Why do people take the risk? They certainly knew their dog didn't get along with other dogs, why bother taking him into a group of dogs? That's stressful for all the dogs (including the Border Collie) and all the owners!
    Cookie Black Snowflake
    July 12th, 2006. - May 25th, 2023.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

I would have done the same thing!
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

Although I agree the behavior was not appropriate for beach play it is common behavior for a BC. The barking, nipping at legs are all part of who they are. I have a BC/ Lab mix and it is how she plays. She means no harm, it is part of her herding instinct. It is also why I don't take her places she can be misunderstood. Just a thought from one who has seen this in my own sweet girl, it is not aggression on her part. It is all about responsibility and knowing your dog. I would never put her in a situation where someone would consider her aggressive or annoying.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

Would have done what you did and much louder if it was my dog that was bit. Thanks Maxx&Emma for the perspective. Like you said, it's not fair to anyone to put any dog in that situation or other dogs being exposed to that behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by POPTOP View Post
    Would have done what you did and much louder if it was my dog that was bit. Thanks Maxx&Emma for the perspective. Like you said, it's not fair to anyone to put any dog in that situation or other dogs being exposed to that behavior.
    You are welcome! Don't get me wrong, Emma can play like any normal dog but when she gets super excited her desire to herd comes out and she starts rounding everyone up, lol! She has never hurt another dog but she can be annoying to some and the behavior is easily misunderstood.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

I was going to say, that sounds just like typical BC behaviour. I dog sit friends' 2 BC's and they both (esp the one from working lines) run circles around Scout, and "harrass" him, trying to herd him. When I had my last 2 guys, it about drove the borders nuts because Mags and Pocco would be heading off in different directions, and the BCs were trying to keep them together. And, when Pocco would be chasing his ball, the BCs would chase HIM, partway out to the ball he turn his head mid-run and give a huge great deep WOOF like back off! I'm busy retrieving here!

The more the other dogs are running about, playing, the more wound up the BCs get, they're not being mean, but its stressful to them, they can't control the situation like they're bred to do. I had them both at Rally class on Thursday, and they got so wound up watching the other dogs and handlers work that I had to take a turn with each of them so they'd settle down-given a job (the RAlly course) they settled and were fine.

That being said, I wouldn't take them to an off-leash beach (for one, neither likes water!) where there would be lots of dogs running about, because they'd want to have their fun herding them all up, and that would come across as chasing and nipping at the other dogs. Just not a good situation for them, or the other dogs who wouldn't appreciate being herded when they were trying to play.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoutpout For This Useful Post:

Maxx&Emma (07-21-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Scoutpout View Post
    I was going to say, that sounds just like typical BC behaviour. I dog sit friends' 2 BC's and they both (esp the one from working lines) run circles around Scout, and "harrass" him, trying to herd him. When I had my last 2 guys, it about drove the borders nuts because Mags and Pocco would be heading off in different directions, and the BCs were trying to keep them together. And, when Pocco would be chasing his ball, the BCs would chase HIM, partway out to the ball he turn his head mid-run and give a huge great deep WOOF like back off! I'm busy retrieving here!

The more the other dogs are running about, playing, the more wound up the BCs get, they're not being mean, but its stressful to them, they can't control the situation like they're bred to do. I had them both at Rally class on Thursday, and they got so wound up watching the other dogs and handlers work that I had to take a turn with each of them so they'd settle down-given a job (the RAlly course) they settled and were fine.

That being said, I wouldn't take them to an off-leash beach (for one, neither likes water!) where there would be lots of dogs running about, because they'd want to have their fun herding them all up, and that would come across as chasing and nipping at the other dogs. Just not a good situation for them, or the other dogs who wouldn't appreciate being herded when they were trying to play.
    You are describing my Emma perfectly when she gets excited. I think the Lab in her keeps her calm enough to play nicely, to a point. Once she gets to the edge I always remove her from the situation. Watching her herd the cats is hysterical! Thank goodness they indulge her.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Senior Dog
    You all are a tough crowd! The dog park we used to go to had its share of nimrod owners, but it was also a supportive community. A number of people had rescue dogs that had never been socialized and the first visits to the dog park showed it. No dogs were injured, but there could be scuffles. And happily, over time, with the support of the community, most of these dogs learned how to be dogs and behave appropriately. Kimber taught more than one pound puppy how to play. The key was that the owners had to be proactive and responsible. And to me, this:

Quote Originally Posted by SCDoug View Post
    The people who owned the Border Collie seem concerned and asked the owner if the Black Lab mix was ok. The beach isn't that big, but the people who owned the Border Collie said that they would go to a different area of the beach.to them that they leave and proceeded to tell them that their dog didn't seem to get a long with any of the other dogs on the beach. They were appalled that I would talk to them that way. The kind of grumbled, and left. Good!

I'm not trying to be a PIA, but if you know your dog doesn't get along with other dogs, train them or stay home. Simple as that. There seems to be a growing group of people who go through life with no self awareness.
    sounds responsible. Their dog nipped another dog, they asked about it, then offered to move to another spot of beach.

If a dog is vicious, or is troublesome and the owners are playing with their damn phones or something, that's another story. But the story as told above, I would say you were cranky (to use your word) and you overreacted.
    Stormageddon, Princess of Darkness, aka "Stormy"
    Birthday 9-13-18, Gotcha Day 11-11-18
    Hidden Content

Miss Kimber, CGC, 6/15/2005-1/27/2018 forever in our hearts

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kimbersmom For This Useful Post:

arentspowell (07-21-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos