Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for great toys

I'm been looking for some great toys for: 1) stimulation and 2) longlasting. I did purchase the "IQ Ball" and Tucker loves it and will play with it for at 15 minutes straight. Wondering if anybody has any suggestions.

While not pups, I keep a wide variety of toys on hand. Archie is the toy player, Mardi not so much. I pull out a few toys for a few days and then change off to others in reserve. I've gotten them puzzle balls and put some kibble in them. Surprisingly, Mardi can empty hers in no time flat. The new toy here is the Jolly egg. Archie is still getting the hang of it.

Thor's current favorite toy is the TurnUp from Ruffwear:

TurnUp™ Rubber Dog Toy – Durable and Ball-Thrower Compatible - from Ruffwear

It's a ball, but the odd shape makes it bounce all over the place and not in a straight line. We have hardwood floors and long halls, and Thor can spend a long time knocking that ball around and chasing it on his own - doesn't need us to throw it for him. The random directions it bounces get him really excited and he'll chase and bat at it for quite a while before getting bored with it!

But it helps to have a huge variety of toys, and do the rotation thing like POPTOP said. We have a box outside with all of his toys and rotate them out every few days. We keep a variety available - soft chew toys, puzzle toys that can be stuffed with treats, balls, tug ropes, frisbees, bumpers, and squeakies (dear lord, he is currently obsessed with the loudest sqeakies. It's annoying).
    Mighty Thor, "So Much Dog", born 1/6/2014
    And baby Barley, born 3/9/2018

Hidden Content

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MightyThor For This Useful Post:

Windyskies (08-07-2014)

House Broken
    I was thinking of posting something on good toys
    Come on... all dogs love a squeaky toy
    Found @ Walmart some supper soft plastic toys squeaky toys they cost about 5 to 6 bucks but last
    I also give them out for presents to folks with big chewers and they last at least 1 months sometimes 4 to 5 months
    There is a dolphin and a pig you would not think they would last but the do any hard or semi hard plastic is destroyed in 2 minutes or less

House Broken
    These will last can be found at walmart soft plastic

the pig will last

Love these ideas! Thanks so much. I will be going shopping. I do rotate toys too.

Jolly Ball makes a teaser ball that seems to be a big hit with most of the labs around here:

Amazon.com : Jolly Pets 10-Inch Teaser Ball, Blue : Pet Toy Balls : Pet Supplies

Archie also loves this thing, and he hasn't been able to destroy it yet:

Amazon.com : KONG Squeezz Stick Dog Toy, Large, Colors Vary : Pet Chew Toys : Pet Supplies
    Laura, Archie & Quinn
    Hidden Content

Mocha has a variety of toys that we rotate. For his power chewing moods (which is all the time) one of his favorites is the Goughnut stick. It's expensive ($22), but it has a lifetime guarantee replacement. Mocha has had this since May and not a scratch on it! I was amazed! This isn't too high on the stimulation scale, but definitely high on the long lasting scale. Mocha also likes to play tug. The green stick is long enough for me to hold one end and Mocha the other.

Amazon.com : GoughNut Stick Green : Pet Chew Toys : Pet Supplies

Mocha also has the Busy Buddy Bone. I put the rings on each end and it keeps him busy. This is one of the toys I use when I'm on a conference call. The ends are like a nylabone and the middle is soft. Ironically, the hard nylabone end is what Mocha chews.

Amazon.com : PetSafe Busy Buddy Nobbly Nubbly Dog Toy, Medium : Pet Chew Toys : Pet Supplies

I, too, think the key is rotating them. Hope this helps.

Thanks to Archie for the jolly ball suggestion. We got one for Sam and he's loving it.

Luna likes the Starmark Everlasting toys, Zogoflex, Kongs, Kong wobbler, antlers, and the Tricky Treat Ball.
    Hidden Content
    Sarah, human
    Luna, born 6/14/13, gotcha 8/18/13 and TDI certified 5/12/2015
    Comet, born 4/3/15, gotcha 6/9/15
    Double Dip, 25 y/o Draft/Welsh pony
    Gracie, 17 y/o DSH cat
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos