Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

If this doesn't work just shoot me!

A bit of an update. I've just come through my 3rd hospitalization for chronic sinus infection and asthmatic bronchitis since DEC. A precursor to it involved a visit to DS for the 1st birthday of little Jack. DS was sick as a dog, Jack had been sick as a dog (daycare germs) so Ghee (that's me) ended up getting sick after coming home. Actually, the sinus crud was already there, just add the germs and the perfect storm hit. So my GP Dr, Pulmonary Dr, and ENT are all scratching their heads as to what to do since it is apparent I can't get well under the IV protocol they had been using.

So, a new approach started today. I now am the owner of a Sinus nebulizer which I mix a slurry cocktail of Vancomycin, Dexamethasone, and some antifungal I cant spell or say, and deliver directly to my sinuses to treat the lining which is where my issue is. This regime is 3x a day for a month. It is also to keep me from being on systemic medications for so long. My body is just dying from steroids and I'm building up antibiotic resistance out the wazoo. I took the first treatment and it wasn't too bad. I was worried about some bitter taste but there was none. I just ended up with a foamy upper lip where the application took place.

I'm curious to know if anyone here has been through this type of treatment. My Dr.s are really scrambling to fix me. I've been through multiple sinus surgeries, allergy treatments, use medication with strict compliance, but still battle this mess. I can get by with the sinus stuff, but it always exacerbates the asthma which does me in.

I'm an outdoors type person year round and feel like I've been in a bird cage now for a month. If this doesn't work I don't know what is next. My GP has the idea that I need some type of anti inflammatory med like rheumatoid patients take to help with the inflammation I experience in my airways. I mentioned that my Rheumatologist indicates that my Ana is always high when I go in for my checks (Lupus) which along with SED rate mean I have a great deal of inflammation. He says that I'm not in danger since no major organs are being negatively impacted (other than my SKIN which to me is a very major organ) and my medication protocol with him is only to stay on Plaquenil. My GP is getting with him to speak about the potential of using a med since the Rheumy would have to prescribe it. My GP said if he did it would be so expensive since his prescription would be off label because he hasn't done the testing for a means to an end diagnosisis to warrant prescribing.

This is getting long, so I'm going to wrap it up. Praying that this Neb protocol is my answer.

Sadie is licking between her toes like they are itching her nuts. Gotta get some EMT gel that 'old bastard' Pete recommended a long time ago. He was good for something! LOL!

Thanks for listening!

Senior Dog
    Ouch.

Anti-inflammatory med for your airways? Have you ever checked into methylsulfonylmethane (MSM)....a naturally occurring sulfur (not to be confused with a sulfa drug). It's a great anti-inflammatory in many ways....it keeps my sinuses at bay and had my cat's asthma in remission. You usually see it touted as great for joint inflammation but it's far more versatile than that.

I'd mention it to the doc if you haven't considered it already....see if it might be a good thing for you to try.

Many good thoughts headed your way!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

ShoalsRebel (07-24-2014)

I have not tried that Barb. I'm about to begin a research on any natural or wholesome food that will help reduce inflammation in the body, and supplements. I'm the type that has to get the resolve going then commitment to staying the course. I know it's out there for those of us with fibro etc. so I've got to get busy. Thanks for the info!

oh boy.....sure hope this helps! my DB gets horrible sinus infections, and was supposed to go for surgery when they found the cancer. So now he's on hold for that hoping the chemo does well enough that he can drop the worst drug and be ok for surgery.

I know they put him on some kind of nebulizer since he can;t do a lot of the other drug choices right now...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scoutpout For This Useful Post:

ShoalsRebel (07-24-2014)

I questioned my ENT about the potential for cancer and he quickly responded that it would be very rare. He said he's only seen about 2 cases in his practice over the years. Hope DB gets better and can have the surgery and be rid of the cancer!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ShoalsRebel For This Useful Post:

Scoutpout (07-26-2014)

What misery you must be going through.

Had my sinuses drained many years ago plus having a bone spur removed from the upper septum area. Since then, I've done fairly well. About 2 months ago caught a bug from the grans, chest/head/cough thing. Well the bronchitis cleared up with meds -Z-Pack - but sinuses still draining and constant cough. On a nasal spray and a decongestant now for a month per the doc. It's slowly getting better.

Sending you good thoughts. Head crap is miserable.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

ShoalsRebel (07-24-2014)

Senior Dog
    oh boy, no advice just sending good wishes that you get better! Sinus problems make me miserable and cranky.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Georgie For This Useful Post:

ShoalsRebel (07-24-2014)

Wow. Nothing but good thoughts.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to janedoe For This Useful Post:

ShoalsRebel (07-24-2014)

Hope you find something that works and soon.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

ShoalsRebel (07-24-2014)

Well that's not good at all. Hope you get well soon and it clears up.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bamps For This Useful Post:

ShoalsRebel (07-24-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos