Red face Auggie says "Hey!"

I took Auggie for a walk yesterday and ran into one of my neighbors who was just going into the house to get his dog (American Bulldog). She is about 3 years old and a big girl, but seemed very calm when I met her a couple of weeks ago. He wanted to know if they could walk with us and seeing as they both need some socializing and practice walking around other dogs, I said yes.

Auggie barked like a maniac when she came out of the house and got in front of me to protect me, we both said at the same time, "Let's walk and maybe he'll relax." As we started out, he walked next to me and then in front and after about a minute of two, both dogs were just fine. I was really happy to see how quickly he settled down and after about 5 minutes, he completely ignored her. Yeah!! We're going to try this again, soon.

Auggie has some serious allergies and had a bout of skin infections that required a couple of trips to the vet with Benadryl and antibiotics. He seems better, but if I miss a dose of Benadryl, it is very noticeable with all of the scratching. I also changed his food over the last month from Fromm Puppy to Earthborne Holistics. His protein went from duck to bison. So far, so good. On his last trip to the vet he weighed in at 96 pounds!!

With that, here is the latest photo taken a few weeks ago at my parents' house in Florida. He would not get in the water and barked at Cosmo when he got in and splashed. I think he thought it was a giant water bowl there for him to drink!!!

We're doing ok .. missing Cosmo (and Clover) every day. Hope everyone is having a great summer!!!\

-2014-05-24-17-17-50-jpg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Two Barking Dogs For This Useful Post:

Dallas dawg (07-23-2014)

Aw, how nice Auggie has a new friend!

Have you thought about going raw for him to help with the allergies?

Nice picture, that is funny about the water bowl thing haha.

I am sorry you are missing Cosmo and Clover, hugs to you :*) and to Auggie!
    Charlie and Burton

It's great Auggie has a new friend! Sam has a lab buddy a few house down from us. They play together a couple times a week. I love it because their play dates really help wear both dogs out! I hope Auggie continues to do well on his new food. I was looking at that brand last night at the pet store but DH wanted me to keep Sam on his trusty old standby, Pro Plan. Sam was weighed at the vet yesterday and he's down to 90.8 pounds (he was 99 in April). DH was afraid if we change his food we might mess with his weight loss plan. I hope you continue to have a good summer! I'm so sorry about poor Cosmo. Its so hard to lose them....
    Hidden Content
    Sam and Frank

Quote Originally Posted by charliebbarkin View Post
    Aw, how nice Auggie has a new friend!

Have you thought about going raw for him to help with the allergies?

Nice picture, that is funny about the water bowl thing haha.

I am sorry you are missing Cosmo and Clover, hugs to you :*) and to Auggie!

Thanks! I plan to pick up some chicken feet and turkey necks this weekend to try and work a few things into his diet and see how it goes. Right now, I just want the poor guy to stop scratching!

He is taking 300 mg of Benadryl 2x a day!!!! The vet said it was the max she recommended and that it would probably knock him out. Haha! That will be the day. No change in energy/action but it does help him with the itch.

Off to read about raw diets ...

Quote Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
    It's great Auggie has a new friend! Sam has a lab buddy a few house down from us. They play together a couple times a week. I love it because their play dates really help wear both dogs out! I hope Auggie continues to do well on his new food. I was looking at that brand last night at the pet store but DH wanted me to keep Sam on his trusty old standby, Pro Plan. Sam was weighed at the vet yesterday and he's down to 90.8 pounds (he was 99 in April). DH was afraid if we change his food we might mess with his weight loss plan. I hope you continue to have a good summer! I'm so sorry about poor Cosmo. Its so hard to lose them....

That's great about Sam's weight! We really need to get together again (with or without the dogs!) D.

Yeah, Auggie. It's nice have a new friend. You're sure looking good.

Very nice!

Auggie looks good, glad he has found a new walking buddy. Maybe they will learn how to play together too.

Sarah doesn't go into the pool either, she would just stand there and bark at Bailey. He used to stand in the pool to get away from her.
    Hidden Content

Coleman - CGC blk lab 6/02/97-2/25/08 adopted
    Tootsie - choc lab 10/19/99-8/03/13 adopted
    Bailey - CGC newf/fc 7/12/00-07/15/14 rescued
    Ginger - BT 11/16/05 - 10/14/19 rescued
    Sarah - blk lab 6/22/06 - 12/30/19 rescued
    rescued felines - AJ - 8/00 - 1/11, Merlin - 5/20/05-8/23/21
    Tucker - 8/3/10, Penny - 7/7/13, Toby - 6/14/21

Oops. I mis-posted above. Auggie is taking 100 mg of Benadryl twice a day (not as I noted above incorrectly).

Sorry!!

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos