Going to adopt a cat - any tips please.

At the moment my husband and I are going to looking into getting an older cat who has been around dogs ....a kitten would be easier to introduce as the fear is not there yet.

So far I am thinking it will be an easy introduction with my older dog, she loved the ex neighbors and would follow it around with her nose to the cats butt. My my 3 year old is aggressive with small dogs, has killed a rabbit in front of me. So 8 am going to have to be super careful how I introduce as she is very quick and strong.

Any tips on the process?

I was thinking of having Zola in a crate while the cat wonders around, she does not go basilistic in a crate, so the cat could easily wonder over and sniff. Should I be buying a muzzle for when I do have her out on leash in the house ... until I am comfortable? Even having them in the same room with her on leash I think will take a week or more

Yeah, anybody who has been through this process before, please let me know.

Has Zola ever been around cats? Has she shown aggressive tendencies towards them?

I had a dog growing up with a very strong prey drive - killed snakes, baby raccoons, basically anything small she could catch.

She was the most polite dog with cats I've ever had. Something about the fact that the cats lived in the house with her, and would put her in her place if she got too close - she just didn't see them as prey.

I would take it slow. Crate sounds like a good idea, and lots of places for kitty to escape to where the dog can't get. Lots of training for Zola while the cat is around, and lots of praise for good behaviour so Zola doesn't resent the cat.

Good luck!
    Laura, Archie & Quinn
    Hidden Content

Yikes sounds dangerous! Even a large cat is smaller than most small breed dogs. Not trying to discourage you but are you sure she could ever be desensitized? Would you ever be able to trust them alone or will the dog always be crated when you're not there or not directly supervising?

My (future) MIL had to pass on adopting her parents cat when they moved into a nursing home because their dog was not cat friendly. He is fine with small dogs but what's concerning about your description is that she is small dog aggressive AND has killed a bunny.

Again, not trying to discourage you, just something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by arentspowell View Post
    Yikes sounds dangerous! Even a large cat is smaller than most small breed dogs. Not trying to discourage you but are you sure she could ever be desensitized? Would you ever be able to trust them alone or will the dog always be crated when you're not there or not directly supervising?

My (future) MIL had to pass on adopting her parents cat when they moved into a nursing home because their dog was not cat friendly. He is fine with small dogs but what's concerning about your description is that she is small dog aggressive AND has killed a bunny.

Again, not trying to discourage you, just something to think about.

The ex neighbors cat would come up to the fence and there was no aggressive signals, but that was before Zola started being bad with dogs which was at abiut 15 months, she may be fine with cats I just know she has very high prey drive. I don't think I am discouraged, I think it will work out fine, but I just need to figure out the process.

It will be good to learn as Zola gets introduced to a puppy in a few months and it will be a dog I will dog sit a lot when the owners go away so I have to figure this intro process whether it is a dog friendly cat or a puppy.

It's not fun having a dog who is anti-cat with a cat. We lived with that for 10 years. They had to be separated all that time. Even when we were home, dog got the bottom two levels of our house, cat got the upper two. When we were not home we had a gate across the entrance to the basement. I wish I could tell you a process but we never found anything that worked. This dog was fine with cats not our own, our Vet said she even cuddled with the clinic cats.

Your dog is perfectly aware that a cat is not a small dog or a bunny but that might not matter. There is just no way you can tell ahead how this is going to work long term. Some rescues will let you try an animal out to see how introductions go. It does not sound ideal though, when the dog is already showing signs of aggression to small animals. You might find no one will let you take a cat.

I would pass on the cat. If you decide to go ahead, make sure you get the cat from a rescue that will take it back if things don't work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    It's not fun having a dog who is anti-cat with a cat. We lived with that for 10 years. They had to be separated all that time. Even when we were home, dog got the bottom two levels of our house, cat got the upper two. When we were not home we had a gate across the entrance to the basement. I wish I could tell you a process but we never found anything that worked. This dog was fine with cats not our own, our Vet said she even cuddled with the clinic cats.

Your dog is perfectly aware that a cat is not a small dog or a bunny but that might not matter. There is just no way you can tell ahead how this is going to work long term. Some rescues will let you try an animal out to see how introductions go. It does not sound ideal though, when the dog is already showing signs of aggression to small animals. You might find no one will let you take a cat.
    That is so true, I have no idea how it will go. It could be great it could be aweful. My older dog is terrible with dogs but loves cats .... it could be exactly the same with my younger dog, I just don't know. Yip the Humane Society does let you return if it does not work out (don't want that to happen though). Good thing is the young one will quietly sit in a crate and observe, so I have that in my favor. So I am sure the cat will be tempted to investigate. We plan on being very careful on the cat we pick out, needs to have been around dogs and needs a fiestier personality. I am kinda hoping for one which may have enough personality to play with the dogs, had that growing up.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos