Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Senior Dog

I may have to staple my mouth closed

i'll shorten it. my neighbor/friend across the street (i dated her husband's twin as a kid so we know each other nearly forever) had lost her untrained bichon 2 yrs ago. never listened to one bit of advice i gave her but ok, replace your carpets 4 times.

so,,,,,she's been moaning and groaning and really wanted a dog. needs one that can travel on a plane, in the cabin as they winter in fla. ok.

i talk to her about breeds (never a bichon for them), about crate training, about not feeding he dog chinese food (but he likes it), about a trainer. i talk to her, especially about either north shore animal league, or a breeder.

so, she comes home two weeks ago, and tells me she went into this "pet store" in the city, but it's not really a pet store. uh huh. and she fell in love with a havashire. WHAT WHAT WHAT??????

it gets better. she tells me she googled it, and is a breed. NO NO NO. IT IS NOT A BREED.

the she says the way she looks at it , she made an opening for another dog. YES, YOU DID. FROM A PUPPY MILL.
    and i say NO BREEDER SELLS TO A PET STORE OR CREATES A NEW BREED. period. i feel the blood rushing thru my ears, surely i may stroke out.

oh yes, she tells me. half yorkie, half havenese. ok, i remain relatively calm and start with PET STORE? so after everything i've told you, you are supporting puppy mills?
    "i don't want to hear that " is her response.

well, too bad. that's what you did.

and they were waiting till this week to pick up the 6 month old 10 lb pup as her grandkids from out of town were visiting.

ok, i get to the crate and tell her what size, threaten her life if she uses wee wee pads (she used to put them all over her carpet in the living room where cody would pee and pee and pee). her husband disagrees with the small size of the crate, even after the trainer , who came before they got the dog. and they get a bit bigger crate with a divider.
    trainer is a husband and wife team that her friend's son uses. except he still uses them and their dog is years old so i wonder about that.

she tells me she told the trainer everything i said and he and she agreed. ok, swell. means nothing.

goes now, and picks up the dog. seems the dog is 9 months old, and 8 pounds. teeny.

i explain that the dog was never outside, on a leash, on steps so don't expect any miracles. we talk about where to keep the tiny crate and i say, in your room at night so you can hear the dog stir. i mean the crate is tiny and can moved around if need be . i tell her about tethering and i think she thinks i'm speaking portuguese. i show her what i do with eli, at least have the leash drag so you know where the little fella is. ok, i move on. the she says "i told them in the store when i picked him up that my friend said he came from a puppy mill" oh my, horrors, he did not. he came from a breeder, silly.

AND I WANTED TO THROW UP. WHAT BREEDER SELLS TO A PET STORE OR CREATES THIS MIX??????

hopeless. just hopeless.

i tell her to take him out often, find a spot, make up a saying and repeat it until you want to throw up and then when the dog eliminates make a party. huh?

oh, and did you know that someone really did buy the dog but returned him . because he was going to dubai and couldn't get the paperwork to bring him along.

did you guys know that i'm 5'10" and 120 lbs?

i can just throw up .
    i keep saying to just shut my mouth but it falls out when she asks me questions.
    we're now on the food conversation. so to be safe, i said "get gf fromm" and leave me alone.

no chinese menu for this one i hope. tho, he may like it.
    nick is right. he told me to stay home , don't look, don't speak.
    right. no talking, no stroke.

Oh my gosh, that would drive me bat$h_t crazy!!! You just can't educate people who don't want to be educated. You almost feel like you're going to stroke out just trying to hold your tongue. It must be worse with someone you know so well.
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

3. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

bett (07-24-2014)

I think you'd better open your mouth even if all you do is sputter. I bet typing is not enough. I can feel the pressure rising and I'm only reading.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

bett (07-24-2014)

I have a neighbor who bought a puppy mill puppy, and I fought her on it, but eventually gave up. I feel your pain. Now almost a year later she has a dog who still makes messes, is barely trained and has run away numerous times.
    Julie & Jake, Bacon's Humans

Instagram: @mrbaconthelab

Born: 9/02/13

Gotcha: 11/08/13

Hidden Content

In memory of Lily 1/1995 - 2/2/2012

Hidden Content

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BaconsMom For This Useful Post:

bett (07-24-2014)

Maybe you know her too well- just like when kids think their teacher knows more than their parents (even about their parents' area of specialty- no, Honey, that is not the right ventricle no matter what Miss F says). She's more willing to accept the word of the pet shop person than you, who she's known forever.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

bett (07-24-2014)

Groan....
    Still no cure for stupid!
    Hidden Content

Cornerstone's Lady Cassandra , CGC (Cassie)
    Cornerstone's Lady Rebecca, CGC (Reba)
    Born to love and be loved on July 31, 2010

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kelsyg For This Useful Post:

bett (07-24-2014), Meeps83 (07-24-2014)

Don't know what to tell ya. Lol

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bamps For This Useful Post:

bett (07-24-2014)

siggggghhhhhh....you just can't fix stupid!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShoalsRebel For This Useful Post:

bett (07-24-2014), Meeps83 (07-24-2014)

Yep, it's been said before you just can't fix stupid ignorance.........
    At the Bridge
    Pinks - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 12/30/10 - 5/12/23
    Maddie - Chessie - 3/6/10 - 6/25/22
    Purps (Pinks sister) - Black Lab/mix -(Back with us 1/1/18) 12/30/10 - 4/7/21
    Gracie - Yellow Lab - 10/23/05 - 9/6/18
    Nozomi (Zoe) - BC/Lab - Got ya 9/5/09 - 3/19/15
    Abbey - Yellow Lab - Got ya - 5/8/09 - 4/22/11
    Cheanna - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 5/99 - 9/21/10
    Buddy (Bubba) - Black Lab/Mix - Got ya 11/2/02 - 3/28/10
    Amber - Yellow Lab/Dobi - Got ya 8/1989 - 5/15/01

17. The Following User Says Thank You to katALlabs For This Useful Post:

bett (07-24-2014)

Very sad. What is wrong with some people??
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

bett (07-24-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos