Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This is not fun

This is not fun

Today our water pump is kicking on and off. I tried to adjust it to no avail. After looking over and investigating, I find that the check valve has gone kaput and the pump is kicking water back into the water tank. By the time I go all the way into town to get a new check and get home, we'll be right in the HOTTEST part of the day. That little 8' X 10' pump shed gets hot out there. Instead, I'll have my son grab it when he comes home from work and he'll put it in for me

Here's a pic of the temp from yesterday AFTER IT STARTED COOLING DOWN!! (We broke heat record yesterday at 116 Fahrenheit)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-jpg  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bamps For This Useful Post:

MikeLynn (07-25-2014)

Senior Dog
    Oh, that's not a temperature I would want to see . . . ever! I start to wilt above 85F.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kleb For This Useful Post:

Bamps (07-25-2014)

Ouch, too hot for me too. I start to melt at about 80, I get uncomfortable above 75.

When I read your pump is out in the shed I was thinking here in Michigan and was like, that's not a good place for the pump and well won't that freeze? Then I was like well I guess not at your temps. It's in the basement here for us northerners. Which in the heat of summer is nice and cool.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff For This Useful Post:

Bamps (07-25-2014)

Yikes! Man I thought it was hot here. Stay cool!! Sorry about your water pump problem! Just kick back with Opie until it cools off.
    Charlie and Burton

8. The Following User Says Thank You to charliebbarkin For This Useful Post:

Bamps (07-25-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Ouch, too hot for me too. I start to melt at about 80, I get uncomfortable above 75.

When I read your pump is out in the shed I was thinking here in Michigan and was like, that's not a good place for the pump and well won't that freeze? Then I was like well I guess not at your temps. It's in the basement here for us northerners. Which in the heat of summer is nice and cool.
    We get to freeze temps 1-3 days a yr. I do have to wrap the pipes but nothing like there. And just like the extreme cold, no one gets "used" to this, we just figure out ways around it, getting up with the sun when it's only 90's out to get things done.lol

I am not sure, on the figuring way around it. When it gets cold, we just put on more clothes and continue on like normal. When it hits 90 here on those rare days, I am down to shorts and not much of a shirt. At 116 people are seeing a lot more of me than they want to.

So now I am curious, on a much more inquisitive note. So here in winter there are actually special things like drinks and food that help warm you up. Like a good cup of hot chocolate, roasted chestnuts, even warmed liquors. These are things we don't have in the summer. Some people still drink hot tea and I still have hot coffee but there are those special things we have in winter that we all love and helps with the blues of winter and chases the cold away.

So is there anything like that down there for summer, something cultural? Here, Ice cold Gatorade, I wouldn't count liquor on the rocks as that's in the winter here too, Ice cream trucks for kids I guess, I know when I was a kids I loved them, but that's about it for summer to beat the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    So now I am curious, on a much more inquisitive note. So here in winter there are actually special things like drinks and food that help warm you up. Like a good cup of hot chocolate, roasted chestnuts, even warmed liquors. These are things we don't have in the summer. Some people still drink hot tea and I still have hot coffee but there are those special things we have in winter that we all love and helps with the blues of winter and chases the cold away.

So is there anything like that down there for summer, something cultural? Here, Ice cold Gatorade, I wouldn't count liquor on the rocks as that's in the winter here too, Ice cream trucks for kids I guess, I know when I was a kids I loved them, but that's about it for summer to beat the heat.
    I don't know about all others but for me the syrup in a soda is way too nasty in heat. Also in the mornings I drink cold ICED coffee. Later in the day, IF I venture out, I like cool water. Nothing added, too cold and it will make you sick, too hot and it's pointless. I also, if I have to go out in the heat too long, will wear thermos,(Rather be 98.6 than 114). Wide brimmed hat, made of straw to let air in, solid will cook your brainage into toast. LONGSLEEVES and BRITCHES.

Way back in the days of the steel mill I learned that sometimes heat can make your pants sting you, thermos also aid to remedy that.

We've been under "extreme heat advisory" here. Best advice is to crank on the AC and stay indoors.

House Broken
    We drove through Death Valley last summer on our way to a wedding in CA and saw mid 120-something at Furnace Creek. The National Park accommodations had a giant spring fed pool (beautiful clean water) and you could not be out of the pool for more than a couple minutes without feeling like you might pass out from the heat. (I'm sure the beer I was drinking was not helping.) Craziest thing, you'd get out of the pool and a giant chill would rack through your body because the air was so dry, then you'd start sweating again.

It's such raw uninhabitable country out there that it is beautiful. We loved our visit, but I could never live in those conditions. I need to be outside on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie'sdad View Post
    We drove through Death Valley last summer on our way to a wedding in CA and saw mid 120-something at Furnace Creek. The National Park accommodations had a giant spring fed pool (beautiful clean water) and you could not be out of the pool for more than a couple minutes without feeling like you might pass out from the heat. (I'm sure the beer I was drinking was not helping.) Craziest thing, you'd get out of the pool and a giant chill would rack through your body because the air was so dry, then you'd start sweating again.

It's such raw uninhabitable country out there that it is beautiful. We loved our visit, but I could never live in those conditions. I need to be outside on a daily basis.
    Oh it's bad here too, we've had a day or two that hot, thankfully they're rare. During monsoon sometimes it's so hot that when it rains, you see the drops falling but disappear in evaporation before hitting the ground. Virga it's called. It's like a HOT sauna.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos