Thread: What A Fun Day

What A Fun Day

Went to the county fair this morning. It was cool and not crowded. I had a blast. Haven't been to the fair in years and wanted to see it all. No, I don't ride the rides. Was in the sheep barn and discovered my shoe was untied. Looking for a place to squat down a lady walked up to me and offered a chair with her family who were showing sheep. Her kids are in 4H. Ended up sitting there for about a half hour chatting. Wonderful family. Browsed all the displays, antique John Deere tractors, custom leather work, the botanic garden display. Looked at the produce competition, 4H projects, baked goods. Was disappointed there were not any canned veggies; they are always so intricately packed. A group of displays were boards set up by kids on a multitude of topics. What caught my eye was one boy did a diary with pictures on how he takes care of his dog. Another did a complete write up on how to read dog food labels, what they mean, and how to choose a good food.

Then I got to the quilts; some very nice ones. I studied them and got to thinking, I can do that. So now I need to find out how to enter a quilt and get busy for next year. Have some fabulous fabric for a child's quilt in bright colors with cartoon bugs on it. Think I'll make a quilt and call it "Snug As A Bug".

Truly enjoyed the entire morning and came home with a head loaded with ideas.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

Bamps (07-25-2014)

That sound like an awesome morning!! DW would have gotten lost in the quilt or knitting sections.

What a great way to spend the morning!

I love fairs. Sounds like you had a wonderful day.

Sounds wonderful, I'm a bit jealous

Not quite a fall fair, I guess, but we enjoy them too. An attraction we try to take in is the horse pull. Mum loved to see the heavy horses working the way she was used to when Grandpa was clearing a piece of bush.

Your "snug as a bug" idea sounds pretty neat. Do you do paper piecing? I'm supposed to go and learn and haven't made it yet. Or would the bugs be appliqued?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowshoe View Post
    Not quite a fall fair, I guess, but we enjoy them too. An attraction we try to take in is the horse pull. Mum loved to see the heavy horses working the way she was used to when Grandpa was clearing a piece of bush.

Your "snug as a bug" idea sounds pretty neat. Do you do paper piecing? I'm supposed to go and learn and haven't made it yet. Or would the bugs be appliqued?
    The bugs are actually part of the print. One of the prints has the butterflies, another has inchworms, another lady bugs. The complimentary fabrics are bright mottled solids and the border is a stripe. Kinda sounds weird but all the colors match and look cute together. You've given me an idea-cut some of the bugs out and applique on some of the solid pieces.

First, I've got to finish the quilt I'm making for our bed. So close but not quite finished piecing the top.

Love county fairs , sound like a great day

How nice! Good luck with the quilt - I look forward to seeing it finished!
    Charlie and Burton

. . . keep 'em moderated Calley's Family's Avatar
    Sounds like a wonderful day, We haven't been to a fair in a really long time. Please post pictures when you finish your quilts. I have always wanted to learn how to quilt.
    WE ... ARE ... CALLEY'S FAMILY!
    John & Jeannie, humans to:
    Hidden Content
    Tava - b 4/12/2015 gotcha 7/11/2015
    Haleigh - b 3/2/2015 gotcha 2/4/2017

Forever in our hearts:
    Michaela Calley Eileen, CGC - b 12/14/2002 d 1/28/2018
    Midnight Valentino, VGB - b 8/18/2003 d 5/4/2015

No Bad Days * Positive is How We Live * Practice Aloha

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos