Scraped leg-blood

Maya scraped her leg on some wood in the back. It's long and it's bleeding but no bone and not deep enough to need stitches. I don't want her to pick it incase it gets infected so I wrapped it in some gauze. What should I do about it? Neosporin? I'll watch it before I take her to the vet if she gets an infection. She was limping when it first happened but she can walk on it and it doesn't seem to bother her when she walks. She milks it tho! She's a big baby and she knows it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-jpg  
    Last edited by MayaNSofie; 07-25-2014 at 11:32 PM.

OUCH! No to be gross, from what I can see, it looks like the cut is through the hide (fur with the upper layers of skin). That needs stitches or some type of closure. The idea is to catch an infection before it starts and make sure that the wound is thoroughly cleaned out. Just having the fur around the cut can also be a source of infection. I would definitely take her to the vet.

Sending good thoughts.

I unwrapped her gauze to look and the majority is already stopped bleeding and looks to be ok. There is one part in the middle that still has a little loose flesh that she won't let me near. My vet opens Monday. If it looks the same or even worse, a trip to the vet will be taken on Monday afternoon!

I will post a pic tomorrow of what it looks like and will need to know if stitches are for sure needed. I don't think she needs them, but I also don't want her to get infected. I covered the area and put neosporin on it so I'll clean it again before bed.

Puppy
    Quote Originally Posted by MayaNSofie View Post
    I unwrapped her gauze to look and the majority is already stopped bleeding and looks to be ok. There is one part in the middle that still has a little loose flesh that she won't let me near. My vet opens Monday. If it looks the same or even worse, a trip to the vet will be taken on Monday afternoon!
    This happened on Friday? By Monday stitching it will not be an option.

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos