Lethargic on antibiotic and prednisone?

Sadie injured a toe or got an insect bite around the nail bed which she licked until it became infected. I took her to the vet and she put her on Cephalexin, 2/500 mg. caps every 12 hrs. And a week of prednisone 20 mg. a day for a week, then 10 a day for a week. The prednisone was to help settle down her itching and scratching, and to help the inflammation in the toe.

I let her chew a rawhide last night and she drank a ton of water afterwards. I know prednisone makes them drink more. This morning we were cleaning and I found where she had wet on the runner in the foyer. She always barks if she needs out in the night, so I'm sure she just couldn't get past that spot to where she barks for us to get up. She NEVER has an accident, so I'm sure it was medication related.

She is so lethargic tonight. We've had minimal play outdoors today. I don't want a lot of activity when she is on this med.

Does 1000 mg. of Cephalexin sound like a lot every 12 hrs.? I know I've never had that much mg. in my lifetime during an illness. I might give them a call in the morning and just ask to make sure.

Sending good thoughts. I have never used that antibiotic strength but they can and do cause tummy upset. Hopefully that is the case. Good thoughts for Shadier.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

ShoalsRebel (07-26-2014)

Lethargy is a reported side effect of cephalexin.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowshoe For This Useful Post:

ShoalsRebel (07-26-2014)

Poor Sadie! Don't know about the antibiotic but do know the need to pee a lot with pred.

Sending healing thoughts.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

ShoalsRebel (07-27-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos