Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should've just gotten another puppy!

It's been a week with the kitten and man, this is harder than I thought! He's so needy and meowing and howling all the time and always getting in trouble. On a positive note, he learns pretty fast. I'm not really used to small animals and when he bit my thumb looking for attention, it startled me (and it hurt!) and I flung my arm. The kitty kinda went flying. He hasn't done it since but he's thought about it and stops himself. The dogs are getting along well with him, too. Linus really likes his butt.

For the record I think puppies are easier. He's lucky he's cute!

Glad things are going relatively well!!!

The good news is that, in my opinion, the kitten stage doesn't last near as long as puppy stage.
    Shiloh 12/24/12
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    The good news is that, in my opinion, the kitten stage doesn't last near as long as puppy stage.
    How much longer?

Oh, and I ended up getting one of those baby gates with a man door and then a cat door in the man door. Spendy but on sale and much easier than the hole in the door option.

Sounds like the catification of your house is going well I've never been able to lock a cat out of a room... They go where they please... I tried to keep Tucker in my room at night and he tore up the carpet, my bed, and I lost a lot of sleep. The way you are introducing them sounds great, but I'm guessing Roger gets the run of the house soon Have you gotten any cat furniture or shelving? Having some places for Roger to jump to will help him feel safe (and you more comfortable) and give him a nice place to torment the dogs. Check out Jackson galaxy at Jackson Galaxy for lots of tips and ideas
    Eta: check out his section on "catification"
    Katie and Aric (7/1/17) Hidden Content
    Whoops-a-Daisy B. 1-26-13 Gotcha 8-25-13
    Jett B 8-17-17, Gotcha 10-7-17

“Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
    —Hidden Content (author,Hidden Content )

Oh, I am so enjoying your posts. Kittens benefit from staying with their mother and siblings just the same as dogs, they learn bite inhibition AND claw inhibition. A good age for kittens to be homed out is 12 weeks old, but that's into the lanky look and it's easier to find them homes when they are 5, 6 or 7 weeks old.

If Roger is playing roughly with the dogs he'll learn he can bite harder than you want him to. Lab's with their thick, double coat won't feel his little short needles or his claws much. His claws are probably rather soft yet. Make sure you play with him as much if not more so he learns what is appropriate with humans. The fling across the room probably did him a world of good as it was timed so well after his infraction. He didn't hit any sharp, hard corners so he's ok.

My kittens are very, very good about not biting or scratching me. But when they get playing all bets are off. Even if they can see for sure it's my finger approaching them and not the end of the magic stick they still might pounce. They just get so focused it's hard for them to turn off.

House Broken
    Lol, we got a kitty a few years ago but opted to get an older boy (6 at the time) . He was soooo easy! Can't imagine bringing in another little trouble maker!

sounds like it will be great in a short time

I love cats and want a kitten soooo bad! My husband is super allergic though

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos