Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I am skeptical, what do you guys think/know?

Koopa has allergy issues, we don't know yet what are causing them but he gets ear infections, skin and fur issues and he licks his paws like crazy whenever he's not on allergy medication.

We're switching his food to salmon and grain free to see if that helps but I have a nagging suspicion that his allergies are actually environmental allergies to weeds, dust or something like that. And the medication for that 1. costs a lot and 2. contains cortisone which I'm pretty sure is harmful in the long run. A guy I know at the dog park told me his vet had told him in the past that you could give human Reactine/Cetirizine to your dog to counter these allergies instead, have any of you guys tried this or heard about it? And if you guys do think it's ok and it works, what dosage do you give your allergic dog?

Thanks!

BTW I know I haven't been on the board a lot this past month (as life and work are pretty hectic) but I miss you guys and I want to try to get here more. Other than his allergies Koopa is doing great and he made really good dog friends at the park nearby (all girlfriends actually :P) I'll try to snap some pictures soon and share them
    SnapV and the One and Only Koopa! (approximate dob: 25/01/2013, gotcha: 30/03/2013)

Hidden Content

See my Etsy store for hand-knit hats and cowls!
    Hidden Content

Senior Dog
    I would ask the vet about the human med.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SunDance For This Useful Post:

SnapV (07-30-2014)

What are his symptoms like during cooler/colder months? Many times allergies are not food related but environmental.
    Hidden Content

Tammy
    Maxx and Emma Jean

Ozzy - 10/2002 - 06/2011 - Rest well my sweet boy. You are forever remembered, forever missed, forever in my heart.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxx&Emma For This Useful Post:

SnapV (07-30-2014)

Was thinking about you and Koopa just the other day. Sorry, no experience with that degree of allergy. Wanted to say hello.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to POPTOP For This Useful Post:

SnapV (07-30-2014)

Have you thought about having an allergy test done on him? Maybe there's something you can avoid, and not have to give him any medication.
    Hidden Content

Ram - Adopted @ 6 y/o - 7/18/2011 - 7/4/2019
    CGN - 6/10/2013

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sue-Ram For This Useful Post:

SnapV (07-30-2014)

I haven't given it to my dogs but I take it myself for allergies. It's called Zyrtec in the US. Here's one article I found about it but it recommends checking with your vet for dosing. Cetirizine Hydrochloride for Dogs
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

11. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

SnapV (07-30-2014)

Dosage chart. Same one my vet uses.

ETA:
    Dogs require a higher dosage than humans. Also, they may not be very effective for itching. If one doesn't work, try another.

Frequent bathing with a gentle shampoo is also recommended by most vets.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue For This Useful Post:

kelsyg (07-27-2014), SnapV (07-30-2014)

And, I'd say try one approach or the other, at first, because if you do both simultaneously and Koopa improves, you won't know if it was the food or the medicine. I don't know how quickly you'd see improvement with food switching (maybe someone else who has done it can give you an idea) but with medication, improvement would probably start pretty quickly (within a day or 2), if it was going to happen. Obviously, if I could cure symptoms with changing food, I'd prefer that over medication, although if I was certain it was the food, I'd do both to lessen the symptoms until the old food "washed out", then I'd stop the med.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to smartrock For This Useful Post:

SnapV (07-30-2014)

I would say it is most likely environmental. If it was food related, you'd most likely see some sort of digestive upset. Tux is on raw, but still has environmental allergies. We tried the people antihistamines, and a couple prescriptions from the vet, but they didn't seem to help. If he is licking his feet a lot, he could have a yeast infection down there. I took Tux to a holistic vet since the regular vet wasn't too helpful, she took a swab from his feet and there was a ton of yeast and bacteria. Now I shampoo his feet weekly with Ketochlor to keep it away. And the frequent bathing does help, even just a good rinse with water. There are lots of different supplements out there to help with allergies too. Fish oil, quercetin (QBC Plex by Solaray is great), and Tux takes Antronex from Standard Process. It is for liver support, as the liver helps to regulate histamines. Allergies are very frustrating, and what works for one dog doesn't always work for another. First thing I would make sure of, is that there is no secondary yeast or bacteria infection present.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to shellbell For This Useful Post:

SnapV (07-30-2014)

Ceterizine is Zyrtec, an antihistamine. They treat symptoms, not root cause. You may have environmental allergies or a combo of both. The itch/scratch cycle opens the skin up to secondary infections, yeast and bacteria. They should be confirmed and then treated and confirmed again that they are gone. With the severity my older dog was dealing with we went to a derm vet. They know what they're doing and there was never any steroids done. She got allergy shots and we are no longer licking and scratching.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Doreen Davis For This Useful Post:

SnapV (07-30-2014)

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos