Dog Fence Collars

I will preface this with I think too much.

Recently installed a hidden dog fence from Dog Watch. Scarlett got the idea quick and has free reign now. Max needs more guidance, goober.

3 questions...

1) the contacts are 3/4 of an inch is that too much for a lab? Should I get the soft rubber tips or stick with the stainless steel?

2) tags - should I attach to the Dog Watch collar?

3) how often should we remove the collars? Big reason we got the fence is Max slips out on occasion & takes off for an hour or more. Not good! Yes, need to work on the recall. It is a battle.

Thanks all!
    -- Ken, owned by:

Max - Black Lab mix gotcha 4/23/2012 Born 12/2011
    Scarlett - Yellow Lab gotcha 4/19/2013 Born 2008? 2007?
    Lizzy - Terrier mix gotcha 6/29/2014 Born 2006?
    Zeus - Papillon mix gotcha 1/30/2015 Born 3/26/2014

Avatar: Ziggy, my kitty who crossed the bridge a few years ago.
    He slept in the sink for years, silly boy.
    Hidden Content

I used one about 15 or so yrs back. They sound like they've changed quite a bit. The dogs quickly learn that they can "run" them and get through before shock. In general they work good but take some training too with periodic "reminder sessions" sorry I couldn't help more

Couple things. First, re: Max. I think you need to up the correction level to prevent the run through. And make sure the prongs are connecting to the neck correctly. You don't want it too loose. And definitely retrain. I cannot stress enough how important it is for the training.

Second, about the length of the posts. The 3/4 inch is fine. And my recommendation is to stick with the stainless steel. I bought the flexible prongs, and they would NOT stay in the collar. No matter what I did. Because of that, they would work their way out while the dogs were outside and the receivers fell off. Even though I'd check them every time I put them on them. I lost TWO that way. I still haven't found them, as they have a couple acres of woods to be out and about in. And black, in the dirt? Nada.

Lastly, the length of time is generally recommended to be 12 hours maximum.
    Hidden Content
    Abby
    ​Decisions, decisions, decisions

Hidden Content

“It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are.”

Cheryl Zuccaro

I use the long metal prongs, Chase's fur is very heavy, Lark's less so, but I use the same length prongs on them.

Make sure the collar is tight enough that the prongs make skin contact. If you can increase the stimulus Max gets, I'd try that, along with re-training, as Sue suggested. I kept the little flags up for, well, there are still a few here and there. Chase only ran out once, Lark ran out probably 4 times before she understood not to cross the line. We had one dog who would stay in if it suited him, which it usually did, but he'd go out if he decided it was worth the shock. He was a big hard-headed lug and you could just see him decide to suck it up and mosey on out. Then he'd mosey back in a few minutes later. He never ran across. Most dogs, if they get shocked on the way out, do not want to get shocked on the way back in, so they will stay outside the fence line.

My dogs wear a second collar that has their name and my cell phone number on it and a boomerang ID tag. They don't have hanging tags on either collar, we kept losing them so I just don't put them on. They always wear both collars outside but I generally take them off a few times during the day because when they play, they grab each others' necks. They wear no collars overnight. They don't usually have any opportunity to escape through the door if we're going in or out- I just make them back up and wait rather than crowd the door. I don't think they'd go across the fence line now, even without their collar on- Chase for certain, Lark less certain. Are you saying Max slips out, meaning across the fence line, or out the back door or front door when someone is coming in or out?

One dog in our neighborhood wore 3-4 shock collars and would still escape. Poor Baxter got hit by a car eventually, but it wasn't for lack of trying to make crossing the fence unpleasant.
    Sue

Chase 9/29/2006- 6/30/2017 Always in our hearts
    Lark 12/25/2012- 2/2/22
    Henry 7/14/18
    Joey 5/14/2022

“Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift. It is not the least reason why we should honor as well as love the dog of our own life, and the dog down the street, and all the dogs not yet born. What would the world be like without music or rivers or the green and tender grass? What would this world be like without dogs?”

Mary Oliver, Hidden Content

Max will sneak out when the kids get home. They are young and hold the door open for Mom, nice gentlemen! However this is a great opportunity for Max to hightail it out the door. Only done this a few times over the past couple years but that is a few too many.

I will be continuing the flag training and up the correction level for Max. Although he usually lays down and refuses to budge. Smart bugger he is. Will bribe with hot dogs and or use a long line while playing fetch in the yard.
    -- Ken, owned by:

Max - Black Lab mix gotcha 4/23/2012 Born 12/2011
    Scarlett - Yellow Lab gotcha 4/19/2013 Born 2008? 2007?
    Lizzy - Terrier mix gotcha 6/29/2014 Born 2006?
    Zeus - Papillon mix gotcha 1/30/2015 Born 3/26/2014

Avatar: Ziggy, my kitty who crossed the bridge a few years ago.
    He slept in the sink for years, silly boy.
    Hidden Content

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos