Reverse Sneezing

Sam started doing some reverse sneezing after our weekend hiking adventures. I'm sure he sniffed something up there. When is it time to see the vet? And what can they do about it?

Tux reverse sneezes every once in awhile, I don’t really worry about it though. I’m not sure what the vet could do about it. I read something about how if you place your hand over their nose (or something like that), it will make them stop. Not 100% sure on the specifics of that though. I don’t really think it is harmful for them to do this, I wouldn’t worry unless he is doing it nonstop or something.

Senior Dog
    I'm with shellbell....I wouldn't worry unless it seemed excessive or especially worrying to Tux.

Danny has done it on occasion his entire life. He and his mama also do a lot of choking/snorting after a good roll in the grass, so I presume it's all somewhat allergy/sensitivity related. Dan can also prompt his by doing something stupid to irritate his throat....like the occasional pull on the collar.

Not to make you panic, but I would take him to the vet for a quick check. My moms JRT sniffed up something on a walk in the forest once and although she sneezed a bit for a few days after thought nothing of it. About a week to 10 days later she had surgery for an infection for something imbedded in her nasal cavity.

I'm usually not one to say go to the vet for everything, especially reverse sneezing, but in this case I'd contact a vet. You live where, in Oregon? I believe you have foxtails up there? that would be my first thought. Call the vet, especially since you feel he inhaled something. Not to scare you or anything (well, a little if it makes you go), but an imbedded foxtail can cause death.

Foxtails: Why They're Dangerous for Dogs
    Hidden Content
    Abby
    ​Decisions, decisions, decisions

Hidden Content

“It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are.”

Cheryl Zuccaro

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sue For This Useful Post:

charliebbarkin (07-28-2014)

Those foxtails do not look like anything we have been around. I have not taken him in any fields. Just hikes in the woods. Lots of swimming lately, also. I suppose it could be anything. I have noticed both of my dogs suddenly having allergy problems, which I imagine are environmental. They are both suddenly pretty itchy and Linus' eyes have gotten watery. No fleas or anything, as they are on flea prevention, and there's been no food change. Sam has never had this reverse sneezing before. I called the vet and am waiting for a call back to see if he thinks I should bring him in or wait it out for a bit.

The sneezing is his body's way of telling him there is something foreign inside, and it's his only way of telling you something is going on. If it's ongoing and abnormal, I would take him in sooner rather than later.

If it is a foxtail, you're going to want to get him in right away. Are you in Oregon?
    Charlie and Burton

9. The Following User Says Thank You to charliebbarkin For This Useful Post:

Sue (07-29-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by shellbell View Post
    Tux reverse sneezes every once in awhile, I don’t really worry about it though. I’m not sure what the vet could do about it. I read something about how if you place your hand over their nose (or something like that), it will make them stop. Not 100% sure on the specifics of that though. I don’t really think it is harmful for them to do this, I wouldn’t worry unless he is doing it nonstop or something.
    Every once in a while, Lola will do it. I mentioned it to the vet once and he said that if it's a one off deal, don't worry about it. I read if you cover the nose and massage the neck, it goes away. I've tried it...not sure if it worked or if Lola just stopped sneezing.
    Hidden Content

Just another day at the beach.....

Not a Member of the Labrador Retriever Chat Forums Yet?
Register for Free and Share Your Labrador Retriever Photos